Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - '14 SE 5spd Revving on it's own
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
adamsbryce89
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 224298
What I Drive: '14 Sterling Grey SE Sedan 5MT

Points 1,466, Level 21
Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21 Points: 1,466, Level: 21
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 adamsbryce89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question '14 SE 5spd Revving on it's own

Hi all,

For the last couple months now, my 14 SE 5 spd sedan has been acting rather strange at idle. It only happens sometimes, so it's hard to reproduce, unfortunately.

Sometimes, after buzzing around town getting errands done, the car will start to rev on its own. it does NOT do this while the car is in motion, (as far as I can tell anyway) but rather when I'm stopped and at idle. It'll rev up to around 1,600 RPM even when the engine is hot (doesn't seem to do it as MUCH when engine is cold, but still happens), and it'll stay there for a while, then suddenly drop down to about 600 RPM and it starts shaking the entire car back and forth and bounces RPMs down there. Give it a little gas, it goes back up to 1600 and stays there for a while, then the process repeats.

I'm off ALL pedals. I know the car raises the rpms just a hair when i have brakes off and clutch in, to help aid in a smooth start. It's not that.

Here are links to videos I've uploaded when the issue DOES happen. Please excuse my messy car. Full time student, full time worker.

Revving on it's own:

Choking on it's own:

The car starts, revs, and drives without ANY issue at all. All feels normal. I sometimes forget about the issue until I see that tach start climbing and my feet off all pedals.

Occasionally, on some start-ups, a check engine light will be there, but always when I have no time to stop and get it looked at. The next time I start the car, it may or it may NOT be there.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can look into? Additionally, are the videos enough evidence for Ford to make a decision or "diagnose" the car, or would I need to bring it by as it was doing the issue? It'll go a few days with no problems, and other days it's almost as soon as I start the car.

Thanks!