Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2002 Focus SVT Build
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
IdleOne
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 405583
Points 70, Level 1
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 1 IdleOne Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoppola View Post
Very nice work so far. This car is going to turn out great based on what I see so far. Besides the poly bushings and alignment improvements mentioned above, I would look at some lowering springs that are higher rate than stock. Foci handle very well stock, but have a lot of body roll. Rather than just trying to control it with bigger sway bars, stiffer springs and lowering the car's CG will give better handling results overall.

If you are not going to put the interior back in, there's a lot of weight that can be cut out of the car without making it rattle or sound like a tin can. On the doors and tailgate, draw a line just inboard of where the seal flanges touch the door and TG inner panels, and get rid of all the material inside of where the rubber seals touch the doors and TG. That was the first step of lightening we did with our racecar, and it still sounds like a stock car when closing the doors, etc. No rattles, or tin can sound... A rule of thumb is that a reduction of each 100 lbs is worth 1 second per lap.

Most importantly, if you are going to track the car, and have any reasonable amount of grip, you ARE going to break the stock front hubs, or evn stock parts store, or Ford replacements. When that happens, it also breaks the CV axle off, and sometimes damages the caliper/rotor/caliper mount. There is also risk of losing the wheel completely, or displacing it far enough to damage the fender. The solution for this is replacing the stock hubs with 4340 billet hubs. They're not cheap, but when you add up the collateral damage costs and time, plus the danger of a possible crash or rollover due to a broken hub, the price begins to make a lot more sense. I've seen it happen too may times, and have a folder full of pics of people's broken hubs. I've become a preacher about this, and folks who have turned their nose to me, have later come back and wanted these hubs. Refer to the link below for a thread that has more info about this topic.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...-need-any.html

Good luck with your build. I would mention that we build custom rollcages if you're going that route, but it looks like you're in a warm Southwest climate, far from me. What are your engine plans?
Ill keep you in mind for the hubs. Hopefully you will have another group buy soon. Thanks for the heads up. I would love a custom roll cage. I will probably just pull the trigger on the Autopower Bolt in cage unless someone has a better idea. Do you have any pics of your race car?