Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Traction Control Light Solid all the time
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
96Formula6spd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 208810
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SVT Zx3

Points 588, Level 11
Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11 Points: 588, Level: 11
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 2 96Formula6spd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So I will go into a little more detail. For ease splitting things into two groups. Black Car is the parts car. Silver car is the one I fixed.

When I bought the car 5-6 months ago I did put power to the system and tried to get the other engine running. Turning everything on I did notice the traction control light would go off and come back on. I said I wold look into it more once the car was running and driving. Was off jumper cables so figured a low voltage issue can do random things to these cars. The old engine had got hot enough to melt the camshaft sensor,knock sensor and intake manifold. It also turned over and had zero compression. So at that point it became a junk motor.

Fast forward some. I had parted out another wrecked 2002 svt focus. It had a good engine. I did a service on it which was a timing belt job, crank seals, camshaft seals as they had signs of leaking. So the black cars engine was mated up to the silver cars transmission. I used the wiring harness,injectors, cam and crank sensors, coil, wires, and a few misc sensors from the black car. The black cars transmission had a lsd and is sitting to go into my car one day. Silver car is being sold.

As for the brakes. Front were inspected when I pulled the axles out. One rear caliper came off to change a wheel stud in the back. Its due for a pad change in the rear. Fronts are also below 1/4 pad.

Now back to running and driving the car. At the moment if I go out right now and turn the key to run. TCS/ABS/Brake lights come on. TCS/ABS Cycle off. TCS light comes on. Brake light will go off if I put the E-brake handle down. Now if I go for a drive like I did yesterday this is what happened. TCS light is on. Driving up to speeds to about 80mph no other lights. Put 10 miles on the car with only lit up light being TCS. ABS was off and the brake light was also off. Could pull the e-brake up and down and the light would come and go as it should.

So I tried something since the last time the abs light/brake light came on was after a key cycle. So when coasting I shut the key to accessory and then back to run. System cycled but abs/brake light came on. I put the car in neutral and started the engine back up and continued on. Drove home and tried to pull the abs codes using my bluetooth reader and FORscan. System did its checks but could not pick up the abs system to pull codes. Before my drive I pulled abs codes and had found the same U1027/U1009. There was a B1318 code for low voltage. This was probably due to the engine being off at the time.

Decided it was time to go borrow my buddies better scan tool that did ford abs. Car had ran about 4pm. I went and got the scanner at 8pm. Got back to the car around 9pm and plugged the scanner in. Turn the car on. Systems cycle. TCS/ABS lights come on and off but only the TCS light comes on. ABS and Brake light would go out.

I then pull codes to get b1318/u1027/u1009. I bet if I go drive the car the abs light would stay out unless I do a funky key cycle.

So had a buddy with alldata look up this stuff. It mentioned these codes then said go to this section to only find nothing on those codes. So looks like I am on my own.

I have debated a wheel speed sensor but I figure if one of those was bad the abs would throw a code for it after the 12mph check. However after driving over 10 miles no light came on. Have had a bad wheel sensor on buddies 06 focus and it would trip when his had the wrong wheel bearing without a tone ring in one of the hubs.