Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus ST Sitting on a lot...am I crazy?

4K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  felixthecat 
#1 ·
Hey all - I'm a regular browser of the MK3 forum with a 2015 Ti, come to get your thoughts on my current predicament

Long story short I decided it makes sense for me to upgrade from my '15 Ti to a '18 ST, and the one I found is brand new but has been sitting on a dealer lot for a little over a year. It's a white ST1 with 0 options, which is fine for me (I'll find seats later). I'm not really trying to find any other ones, as this is the only one in the area that fits my budget, needs, and wants.

What I'm wondering is, am I walking into a trap having my local dealer bring the car here for me to look at? Can anyone think of any reason besides the base model nature, which would make 378 days worth of potential buyers walk away, or is this combination just not an in-demand combination? Should I ask them to do anything to this thing before I make the purchase besides a new battery? (I'm in MI, so cold cycles without running the vehicle are a concern) Apparently all warranties apply from date of sale not date of assembly so I should be good there.

Thanks all for your feedback

#2 ·
This is a good topic because I’ve often wondered the same thing, with regards to the brakes, battery & tires of new vehicles just sitting & sitting on lots, often times in cold weather or extreme heat climates. I’ve seen many new 2017 RS’s that have been sitting on dealership lots for over 500 days & im shocked but I guess it just goes to show us how much of a limited buyers market there is for an ST & RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Aside from the battery is the GASOLINE. a year old in the tank.
If the car had been started up and driven every few months, probably not a problem.
(How many MILES on the odometer? if it has been driven now and then as demo, should be at least 200 miles, more like 300.. As an example a 2018 in my fav dealer showroom has 124 miles at five months old)
As for 'DEALS' being a year old.. The price should be AMAZING low. like at least $3K off sticker PLUS incentives.
The downside I really thing your buying this car and then 'looking for Recaro seats' is questionable. (unless you hang on the the original ones when you sell the car to put back)
First off the airbags. Then making them work. all that
So I say if you buy the car, keep it stock. Or find the car WITH what you want.

I think a year old car must have something secret as an issue?? Just really odd. Though it may be your area NO ONE drives a stick NO ONE. Period. So it really is a problem car for them just due to demographics? (which means they should be willing to sell at cost!)

#5 ·
Cars on dealers lots are moved around all the time. One to make the inventory look new and refreshed, and two to keep the batteries charged. They also keep the bare minimum of gas in them until sold. Usually enough to move them and a few short test drives. So gas shouldn’t be an issue. The battery is warranted from sale date of the car so no issue there.

I agree on price. If it’s been sitting for a year, I’d want a super deal on it. I’d start at least $1000 below hold back and see what they say and do. I’d also see what they’d throw in. Depending on the dealer and the manager you’d be surprised what you’ll get.

Btw as this is a minimum deal, I’d go in during a slow time so the salesman isn’t losing a deal where they make more. I like them to make money, just not on me, so I try not to waste their time and so they can get me in and out fast. Better yet, I’ve worked deals like this over the phone and walked in, done a fast test drive, do paperwork while it’s prepped and be out in an hour or so.

#6 ·
Have you looked at 2018 ST1 prices lately? Some areas of the country have them in the 18-19k range, which is crazy low, considering most used ST’s are priced higher than that. Why anyone would spend 19k for a 2016 ST, when you can get a new ST for 20k, is beyond me.

#7 ·
Have you looked at 2018 ST1 prices lately? Some areas of the country have them in the 18-19k range, which is crazy low, considering most used ST’s are priced higher than that. Why anyone would spend 19k for a 2016 ST, when you can get a new ST for 20k, is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
People do it all the time.
They hear it’s better to buy used then new due to depreciation. So they don’t shop wisely.

When I bought my Blazer used ones with 50,000 miles or more were selling for $1000 less than a new one. When I bought my first Harley used ones were MORE than new ones. In fact, I sold it 18 months later for $1500 more than I paid for it. I’ve also heard Jeep Wranglers have sold more used than new.

Armed with info one can get a good deal. Without it’s why so many are fleeced.

#12 ·
Too bad the ST1 pkg. was never equipped with the infotainment system of the Titanium package. That’s the main reason I never bought the ST. I just could never get over the SE style dash with all of the buttons. Sure, the ST2/ST3 package gives you the Titanium dash, but then you’re stuck with those high bolstered seats. Ingot Silver Metallic should of also been a color in 2015 & up models.

#26 ·
Questions

Too bad the ST1 pkg. was never equipped with the infotainment system of the Titanium package. That’s the main reason I never bought the ST. I just could never get over the SE style dash with all of the buttons. Sure, the ST2/ST3 package gives you the Titanium dash, but then you’re stuck with those high bolstered seats.
...I'd honestly say it's probably been sitting on the lot because it's an ST1, and they handle like crap in the kind of snow we get out here in Michigan.
So, Pokerrun, I agree on the Recaro seats (they don't fit my back), but is there no way to install the Titanium info center (w/ the better radio, Nav, etc) into the ST1? I would even want the subwoofer in trunk. I'd think that Ford would have put all the wiring in there, just not used some plugs?
Also, Matty, are you saying the ST don't handle well in snow, or specifically the ST1s don't?

I am in the process of buying a black 2014 ST1 and would like to know!

#13 ·
Update

Hey y'all - my dealer ended up finding a brand new black ST1 that was only a few months old that I purchased and am in love with. I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the ST2/ST3 seats...being a below-average-sized human being, I'm not a huge fan of the high bolstering.

Thanks for all the advice and information!

Reactions: felixthecat
#17 ·
This week I purchased a new black 2018 Focus ST1. My local dealer had it shipped in from another dealership 220 miles away. It had been on the other dealers lot for 432 days. The car had 20 miles on it when it left the original dealership.

I had concerns of the tires being flat spotted and or some paint damage or such, but then being new any issues would be taken care of under warranty.

The car did have a harmonic bounce/shake to it when I drove it which got worse when the tires were filled to the PSI listed on the door pillar. I took it back to my selling dealer who jumped on it right away. I told them it felt like either the rear tires were badly out of balance, the tires were flat spotted, or it had a bent rear rim.

Turned out to be tires out of balance.

Over all I am extremely pleased with the car, the selling dealership and the price paid after rebates, $17,664 plus TT&L.

Interesting side note. When the car was ordered in from the original dealership it went online in the inventory of the selling dealership. They told me that they have had 3 phone calls of individuals who wanted to come purchase the car. And no, the dealer inventory price was not what I paid. That price was much higher.....LOL!!

Reactions: felixthecat
#19 ·
And plenty of Elbow Grease, but with a very light touch on the black paint. Come to think of it the temps are going to be in the high 70's to 80 this week.

#22 ·
Give it a shot but drive it first. Don't pay any more than $20k for it either. I'd honestly say it's probably been sitting on the lot because it's an ST1, and they handle like crap in the kind of snow we get out here in Michigan. Other than that you might just be a lucky guy getting a deal on a brand new car, but give it a good lookaround first.

#23 ·
How would the Focus RS handle in cold weather? I would imagine those factory Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires wouldn’t be ideal? But the AWD system would probably be fantastic. Does anyone make an A/S 235/35/19 tire for the RS?

#30 ·
As much as I love how the ST looks & the price points are reasonable, I just can’t see myself daily driving a manual in Southern California traffic. I basically sit from light to light on my commutes & I think the constant upshift/downshift would kill me. Plus my Titanium struggles to get 22/24 mpg on the drive home due to their just being so many cars on the road & the constant start/stop for every red light. I figure the ST would get 16-17 mpg on that same drive.

I thought maybe I could make an exception for an RS because it’s such a rare car but in the end I’ll probably end up with a 2017-2018 Titanium w/ the new body style & see if the DCT behaves better vs. the 2012-2014 models. The Titanium’s have all the bells & whistles + will get great MPG & cheap to insure. I do like the Focus SE Sport appearance package on the 2016 models, so may look at those as well. Typically anything under 15k miles so I know I still have 1-2yrs left on the 3/36.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.