Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Dash light advice and troubleshooting
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
gsxranger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 383313
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT

Points 64, Level 1
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gsxranger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dash light advice and troubleshooting

Back lights to the dash and heater controls have never worked right on the 03 SVT that I've owned for a short time. They all come on for a couple of seconds when the headlights are switched on, then fade out, or just don't work at all. All warning lights and high beam indicator lights work fine, as well as the odometer, just the back ground lights and needle lights fade out fast. Only wiring hack is someone put in LED headlights that look amateurishly installed, only other abnormality is rapidly flashing turn signals.

After geeking the forum for hours, I've replaced the light switch and oil temp/press guage cluster (twice) with known good ones, made no difference. Next up to replace the speedo/tach cluster I suppose. However, unless the juice runs through the speedo cluster it doesn't make sense to me that the background lights for the radio and heater controls would be affected.

Anybody got any ideas or a better understanding? Winter is coming and it's dark up here!