Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Focus mk 1 & mk2 billet hubs - need any?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
mcoppola
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 125033
What I Drive: 2003 Black Focus SVT 4 door

Points 590, Level 11
Points: 590, Level: 11 Points: 590, Level: 11 Points: 590, Level: 11
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mcoppola Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Magus2727 - thanks for sharing your experience and insight with the rest of the community. As you said, if you track or race an mk1 or 2 Focus, you WILL eventually break front hubs. It's not a matter of if, but WHEN. I did a lot of research a few years back, and consider myself pretty well educated about this issue. I have a whole folder of pictures on my iPhone of other people's broken hubs that I show other Focus teams all the time. I decided I was going to fix this problem before it happened to us.

Each time I see a new Focus team show up at a track day, or at 1 of our endurance races in Chumpcar/now Champcar, or the World Racing League, the first thing I tell them is that they need these front hubs. I've had people laugh in my face, or tell me the problem is alleviated with proper brake cooling, or that they replace hubs prior to each race as a precaution, or that "at that price, I'll just buy a new one for $50, and keep replacing them."
EVERY ONE of these teams has eventually come back to me and asked me where and how they can obtain some of these hubs! Or worst yet, some of them have abandoned racing their Foci, and moved on to another type of vehicle. They finally realized that the time lost on track, cost of replacement parts/repairs (as documented in the post above) and most of all, the SAFETY factor involved with losing a wheel at high speed - these factors all changed their minds and they purchased either the Super Hubs, or some of these hubs from my supplier.

Neither of the suppliers that have built these billet hubs have had any reports of failures of their parts. Also, neither supplier advertises or markets these hubs, as they are a very low volume item. The only way to obtain them is to have the shop(s) make a minimum batch of 10-12 pieces. Other folks like Msperber, ShelbyGT, etc. kicked off the builds of these hubs years ago. I merely carried the torch and have built relationships with both suppliers to help provide a solution to other Focus racers, just as Mike S, and others did for me.

To answer Magus2727's questions, I have good news for each question.
a) The most recent batch of hubs I bought DID include long ARP bull nose studs. A pic of my last batch is shown below.
b) My supplier WILL make the hubs in ANY bolt pattern you want them made in. At the request of someone on the FJ forum, one pair (so far) in this batch will be made with a 5x114.3mm bolt pattern, with a slightly increased hub face O.D. due to each stud being 3.15mm outboard on the hub face. (114.3-108=6.3 diameter / 3.15mm radius difference)
c) We can also double drill (2) different 4 bolt patterns into the hubs if we delete the scalloping operation that is seen on the pics above. I've researched wheel choices heavily and want a couple sets made in the 4x100mm Miata bolt pattern, as there are many wheel choices that can then be used on the Focus. My next hubs will have the 4x108 and 4x100 patterns so that i can eventually change everything over to the Miata size.
d) Now, for the best news of all - There is NO ADDITIONAL charge to build any of the special requests - hub price is still $600/pair, which includes cadmium plating and ARP long bull nose studs.
Attached Thumbnails
Focus mk 1 & mk2 billet hubs - need any?-img_0844.jpg