Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Why do our wiper blades suck so much?

14K views 68 replies 31 participants last post by  RonMaiden 
#1 ·
These floppy blades really annoy me. They have no stability and drag on the glass making squeaks the whole time. I found some by Rain-X that said they were compatible with the Focus that have the metal frame on them, so, of course, they don't work. and now I get to send them back to Amazon. What moron came up with the design for these blades? Are all Ford wiper blades this way or just the MK3?

#2 ·
What part number from Ford are you using? Ford or Motorcraft? The quality is different.

Try CP9Z-17528-A and CP9Z-17528-B.

I've been using the above since I bought the car new and they last 2-3 years, no drag and no squeaks. I am on my 2nd set now (the car is 5 years and 9 months old).

I live in Montreal so we have big winter and big summer.

#3 ·
Depends. Wipers MUST have a certain degree of 'floppy' to them or they will not work, they must be able to flex as the windshield curve changes up and down the working pathway there. A solid arm absolutely won't work either, it will have insert segments in it that let the blades flop to fit the glass curve too.

#8 ·
I had few problems with the factory blades, and I replaced them with the oe ones with no issues as well. My current set of wipers were bought in a pinch from AutoZone, and they are annoying. They drag, squeak, and can really get on my nerves. I’m going back to the Motorcraft ones as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I owned a 2012 MK3 Focus with them. Right off I used Rain X liquid on the windows and solved and chatter of OEM wipers.
17,000 mi 3 years no problem.
Bought 2014 ST same wipers, Use Rain X in this car too.
Never a problem 3 and 1/2 years, 29,000 miles happy with original wipers still.
When I use the Rain X, I also carefully wipe the working surface of the blades using Rain X on a napkin, Clean off the dirt!
Still work like new!

Rain X ROCKS!!!!

The one complaint I hear is fogging. The wiper runs and a fog like smear on the glass. I agree that is BAD. The problem occurs because there is grease or oil on the glass UNDER the Rain X.
Solution is way more Rain X and a lot of hard rubbing to remove the greasy film.
Or use something chemical to remove the film before using the Rain X.
Once you got the Rain X direct on the glass, no more fog, ever. [hihi]

#23 ·
Rain-x blades FTW! replaced my Motocraft blades with Rain-x ones and love them. They work fantastic though after 4 months they are getting beat up and my TireRack windshield banner hasn't helped.

My rear wiper is Michelin branded and I am curious if they make front wipers for the Focus. I has Michelin wipers on my old Focus and they lasted 2 years and never chattered even at high speeds.

#13 ·
I have 2012 Ti that I bought new, 6/2012, and I'm still using the wiper blades that came with the car without any problems! Plus I live in MN and the winters can be nasty!

I occasionally wipe them off with a clean rag or an Armor All cleaning wipe.
ALSO, when I go thru a gas station car wash, I run the wipers after the soap cycle to minimize build up on the glass and wipers of the wax/sealant cycles.

Reactions: Elizabeth
#14 ·
Maybe there is a difference in quality between the Ford and Motorcraft parts... I've gone through 3 sets of Motorcraft wipers in the two years I've had my Focus. The most recent pair is only 2.5 months old and I already have skipping on the bottom-half of the drivers' wiper. Yes, only one part of the wiper is skipping for me.

I have used the Rain-X solution you mix into the water you put in the wiper fluid reservoir to mixed success. It'll keep the blades from skipping, but when there's heavy rain or it's raining for a long time the solution will come off the blades and it'll start skipping. I've filled the wiper reservoir with the pre-mix Rain-X bug remover (orange fluid) today and will see how that goes. Wiping the blades with mineral spirits and cleaning the windshield with Dawn only exacerbated the skipping until the Rain-X was able to recoat everything.

#16 ·
Same issue. Replaced with motorcraft blades at the dealer during my oil change and within 2 weeks they drag and skip. So bad that it will hang up my arms half way up or down. They worked perfect for the first two weeks and I thought great, that solved the issue. Nope. $28 wasted too.

#17 · (Edited)
I have a set that my mother got for me at Costco. They are terrible, but I braved through them for a year.
Getting about time to replace em. Was just going to get them from the dealer (would be Motorcraft, I assume), but after hearing all this I don't know if I wanna do that...

I looked up the Ford CP9Z-17528-A / CP9Z-17528-B blades on Amazon.ca, they are showing unavailable. Anyone know where else they would be available, or know of any other other good wipers to use?

#31 ·
The number I found was WW1295. Being a clip-in style, most 12" ones will fit, they just won't have the same 'form' to them is the best way to describe it. Trico says to use part 12-M but the 'lines' don't quite line up.

And on the windshield side, I dropped to 24" blades, so far they've been great.

#24 ·
It actually does, a very good product.

Road film removes instantly using fuel to do it, just avoid the paint. All I've ever used. Ethanol in the fuel lets the fuel wash off with water now.

#26 ·
I’ve been polishing my windshields for years with Bon Ami 1886 Formula powder. Keeps the windshield smooth and free of contaminates that can cause chatter. The stuff is even referred to specifically in a factory BMW service bulletin about chattering wipers.

The 1886 Formula is hard to find, but I get it at little independent hardware stores locally.

Or:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQYBC6/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I usually wipe down with a tar and adhesive remover first.

#28 ·
The OEM Ford blades are just fine...never had issues. Get them on Amazon. #2802 d. side. #2803 p. side. #1204 rear. I have used Rain-X with mixed success. I think the key is to closely follow their application directions (duh right?) including if necessary, preparing the surface with their Extreme Clean glass polish to remove all crap. I have had Rain-X cause incredible chattering on our VW and stopped using it b/c of this but honestly, likely due to not prepping correctly. Doing this even if you don't use Rain-X is probably a great idea to promote good wiper performance.

#32 ·
I swung by the dealer. When they inputted the CP9Z-17528-A / CP9Z-17528-B numbers it adjusted it to the Motorcraft number.
Amazon prices for the wipers weren't much different than what dealer has, so I'll likely pick em up there. Wish cabin air filter was the same; $30 on Amazon, $55 in store (no install).

#39 ·
I just went with some Trico Instinct blades from Advanced Auto Parts. I wasn't going to wait for Amazon again. All the brands there had pretty good reviews. I saw a trick I want to try on the Scotty Kilmer page about after you clean the windshield applying a layer of wax to the glass and buffing it out good which apparently gets rid of the squeaks. I still don't like the wiper design. With pretty much every other car you can get any blade that's the right measurement. With the Focus it has to be the floppy blade or it doesn't work.

#43 ·
I saw a trick I want to try on the Scotty Kilmer page about after you clean the windshield applying a layer of wax to the glass and buffing it out good which apparently gets rid of the squeaks.
Cleanthe windows really well and use rainx, the wax i've found left streaks. i also use the rainx washer fluid(orange not green) year round. It has rainx in it and helps keep the windows smooth, so much so that if you're traveling at speed you dont even need to use the wipers sometimes.

#48 ·
They just came in. Was a little worried cause they do say "Motorcraft", but they got the right product number on them (and they say "Original Equipment Replacement"). Looking forward to some non-streaky wipers.
Anything in particular I should be doing before installation?

#54 · (Edited)
PIAA silicone wipers FTW. I've been using them for ~20 years and I won't buy anything else. In my experience they last 3x longer than OEM blades or any other brand. The invisible silicone layer they leave on the windshield beads water up like Rain-X.

#97070 for L&R front

#56 ·
The Southern California sun seems to destroy them here. They aren’t completely useless, but there is tons of streaks and little tears in the blade that leaves lines when using the washers.

I’m scared to put the new blades on, but they’ll go on after I wash and detail my car this week (hopefully).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.