Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012-2017 Automatic (DCT ) Tunes

17K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  allanh 
#1 ·
There seems to be some rumors and misinformatio that there is no SCT Tunes or tune ability for the Focus DCT

I have Tuned 100`s of the DCT with the SCT software and with great results and many on here have my DCT Tune

It always amazes me how the internet works where people post BS in off places but never man enough to post this in the Forum where it can properly be addressed

If you have any questions about my DCT Tuning please let me know

Tom

#2 ·
I found that odd too. I saw a Facebook thread that mentioned no one was currently offering a DCT tune, only an engine tune. I've had your DCT tune for years lol.

#11 ·
RDC (also a good company) only has the engine right now, Tom as we know has dialed in on the transmission which is more important IMO for this car. I feel comfortable with what he has done with the DCT and I can tell the small but dramatic difference it does for the car. Not to mention the boggy feeling you get when taking off, that is neutralized with Toms tune.

Venting:
I also hear a lot of people complaining about the price, I found my SCT X3 from a buddy of mine for $125 and purchased Toms tune. Also, if he doesn't respond right away it because he is busy. He is available most of the time but he is only one man and has other things going on in his life. With the free updates for life he offers I can only imagine the demands he gets on a daily basis and the complaints form people who expect him to turn this thing into a formula 1 race car. Do your research and you get exactly what you pay for.

And if he give you an answer you don't like, suck it up, His main purpose in life isn't to offend you.

#7 ·
I dont think it's bad. I've had my DCT focus for 4 years now and it's never given me any problems. The tune from Tom definitely made the shifts firmer and it made it so it would stay in gear in sport mode vs shifting on it's own which was nice. If i could do it again, i'd buy the 5spd though. I just think manual transmissions are more fun to drive.

#6 ·
I dont think the DCT is that bad at all , the Trans it self is well built , in my opinion its the DCT software/programming and the SCT software has the ability to make changes , If the Tuners has the knowledge to know what and where to make the changes
But to say the SCT/SCT Tuner ( me ) cant make TCM (trans) changes and all the changes thats happening to the DCT is from the changes to the PCM ( engine ) is insane and he doesnt have a clue what he is talking about

It always amazes me how this is done behind peoples back in off places where misinformation like this cant get corrected , It should of been corrected by the guy that owns the FB page , maybe it has been by now I dont know

Tom

#13 ·
OT, but one downside I've seen in swapping to a MkIII 5-spd is that the gearing isn't as good for the Hwy as the old 2.3 (higher revs cruising), and I blame that for the lack of a significantly higher Hwy MPG - higher yes, but not the huge jump I was used to.

IIRC the DCT is geared a bit better for the road, explaining the great numbers some report.

#12 ·
The point to starting this post was misinformation posted on a facebook page owned by another Focus Tuner and posted by one of his cronies , it specifically stated that there was no DCT Tuning available through SCT software and the changes people felt with my tune " toms tune " was all from changes to the engine which is totally BS

Tom

#15 ·
FWIW, the physical device is likely the smaller part of what you pay for.

The software to make it work with the cars and be usable by Tuners like Tom is the larger portion of the expense.

Note how that needs constant updates, to fit Ford revisions, such as when it only worked with certain versions and owners had to wait until their version was supported.

Cost gets spread between many models, and the Focus is one of the ones supported by others that are more popular.

#26 ·
So if I still have a service agreement with my dealership... will I have to revert the programming back to stock every time I take the car in for service? Will they know the car has been programmed? If not... what if they change it while its in for service? I still have 30K miles left on my extended warranty and don't want to void it if they think I have modified it at all. I know that sounds paranoid... but I spent a lot of money on that warranty and do not want to lose it until it runs out. It's currently been helping me replace the suspension pieces that have worn out.

#27 ·
Yes , any time you take your Focus into Ford always revert back to the stock Ford Tune
If Ford does an update and changes your strategy there is a 50.00 charge to make you a new Tune file for the new Strategy

Local Ford dealerships have no way to tell if you have loaded any Tunes

Tom

#28 ·
Hi Tom, I am still new to all this so please forgive my ignorance. I bought my 2015 SE a few weeks ago and still have warranty on the powertrain for 30k miles. I would like to get a good amount of power out of the car and maybe even turbocharge it in the future. My question is, if I take the car to a local tuner, could they create a custom tune that will not void my warranty at this stage?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.