Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Need help with bouncing speedometer; with video
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 PM   #7
wilddoktor
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 117263
What I Drive: 2001 Forest Green ZX3

Points 354, Level 7
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 wilddoktor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Um, the links to my videos seem to have disappeared, maybe due to me not posting here much. So add an http://y in place of the *** in the following links:

Bouncing Speedometer: ***outu.be/hrdenAsiVKc
Instrument Cluster Test: ***outu.be/xxnp0OEqe00

Although, the more I think about it, the more it seems like an electrical short issue somewhere. Whenever I accelerate and the car stumbles (and the speedo wigs out), it really acts like somebody is flicking a light switch off and back on really quick.

I couldn't get a smog check 2 days ago because they ran a scan first and found that the EGR system monitor wasn't activated...but no DTC (just like in my gauge test...no warning lights on the dash, either). The generic EGR system monitor "fix" is to drive from zero to 45mph at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, 3 times. I did that yesterday, went back to get the smog check, and and the EGR system monitor still hadn't activated.

The EGR system monitor gets reset (and then needs to be activated) when the battery is disconnected. So maybe if I'm getting a momentary electrical short, the EGR keeps getting reset and needs to be activated again. The fact that the car is stumbling (electrical short?) and the speedo (no other guages, nor does my radio wig out) is going crazy while I'm doing the "fix" would seem to go hand in hand with the system continually being reset...especially if the stumbling is caused by momentary loss of electricity.

Anyway, going to start checking fuses. I wiggled all the wires in the engine compartment that I could find while the motor was running, but none caused the engine to stumble.

Last edited by wilddoktor; 03-09-2018 at 01:21 PM.