Focus Fanatics Forum banner

VW Parts For ST170 Swap

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  DCL74 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a set of ST170 headlights I came across for my 2001 Focus, and I've been doing as much research as I can on the process for the swap. My hang up so far as been this VW harness and/or adaptors I've seen mentioned. Can anybody provide a little clarification on what is needed aside from just the headlights themselves? What are the part names, and if possible, what year and middle VW should I be looking at? Lastly, is this possibly something a dealership would car, or should I prepare for some junkyard hunting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

#2 ·
Look at the year 2000 and around that year VW and Audi at the junk yard. Must be the 10 pin, can't be the 8 pin. I just went to the junk yard last week ave picked up 3 pairs of VW connectors for $5. Pretty easy to find.

Take the connectors out of the back of a focus MK1 headlight. It's just a clip, and that gives you your female end.

Splice them together how the diagram shows, tape them up real tight and you will be good to go.

The first picture below I didn't bother unplugging, I just cut the wires on both ends. Second picture is my competed wiring harness. This picture is the diagram.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
Awesome, thank you very much for all the info. The diagram definitely helps. So I take it they're just gonna be the headlight connectors? Any particular model of VW or Audi, or just any thing in that year?

With that diagram, I noticed it says city lights are not applicable. Do I lose the stock feature of the orange lights being on when the headlights are on? I'm basically looking for this to work as everything does not, just eliminating the ugly stock grill with built in lights. No idea why Ford ever thought it would be a good idea lol.

#5 ·
You'll just have to ignore that. Everything will work just fine when you hook it up. I followed this to a "T" and never had any issues with nothing coming on. I'm not sure why that says not applicable.

As for models, I just went up and down the rows. I thought 3 pair was enough so I quit looking. But look at Golf and Jetta for VW.

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Thanks for the link and all the info, very helpful! I don't understand why Ford even did the lights on this particular year this way. Looks terrible.

The only concern I'm having so far is the headlights themselves. I've found some sets of headlights for sale that I want to,jump on in the UK, but they all say RHD headlights. With the Focus, does that make a difference? Do I have to try to find LHD instead?

Also, quick question. I found these headlights for sale online in the US. If I can't acquire any euro headlights, would these be a suitable copycat?

https://www.carid.com/2001-ford-focus-headlights/spyder-halo-projector-led-headlights-284582189.html

Would these headlights be plug and play, or would they require any major changes?

#8 ·
RHD obviously means Right-hand-drive. So the majority of the light will shine to the left side onto oncoming traffic vs. LHD where it shines to the right side. We are LHD over here, though I am sure you know that.

There are very few countries across the pond that are LHD. You would want to look at somewhere like the United Kingdom or Germany I believe as they are LHD. Almost positive anyway without researching it. So if you want to blind people and not be able to see all that well at night...then there you go. I would pass on RHD though.

I would pass on any aftermarket headlights that is not OEM or Hella branded. Aftermarket like that tends to be made out of the cheapest material/projectors and often come with misformed lens that leak moisture in or tabs are broken. The wiring would be there but it would be more than just plug and play.

In your shoes. For $50 more than $220 you can get a set of Mach headlights which are literally the best on the market. OEM, you already know how to make the harness, if not, I can make you a set with labels for hooking up the turn signal end of things.

Your best bet would be to post a WTB on the Facebook Focaljet Classifieds page, the forum tends to be a little slow...

#11 ·
If you are willing to make a harness I'd probably take you up on that. I did the conversion. It's 95% complete as far as I can tell.

ST170 headlights to a Mk1 (2003) Focus wagon with Euro grill.

Driver's side - city light comes on normally, parking light comes on with headlights and flashes with blinker. (fast blinker, but at this point I'm not sure I care).

Passenger side has been giving me fits. Can't get the city light and parking light/blinker to function normally at all. Either one is on or the other. I don't know if I wired the VW plug/harness wrong or what. Hours of trial and error has not helped and I'm about to sell the car for scrap, lol.

Any ideas? Or do you have a set laying around?

#9 ·
Mach headlights would be the headlights found on the Mach Audio edition Focus, correct? Where would I even find them? I've considered those, but can't even find one pair for sale. Maybe I'm plugging,the wrong words into Google.

Also, labels would certainly be helpful if you don't mind.

#10 ·
The Mach audio car yes or the SVT focus came with them from factory.

You can find them on ebay, but they are typically higher on there. Post a WTB on the forum or on Facebook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.