Originally Posted by Magus2727
What kinds of mods where needed to the shafts? curious as if my super hubs don't solve my front end problems the only other option I know of is going to teh Mazda 3 set up but that's a whole can of worms. But looks like going to MrkIII is also a bunch of work.
If you are talking about the axle shafts, I used MkIII shafts for a MTX75, which fit the transmission and the MKIII hubs, but they are almost an inch longer than the MKI axles. So I lengthened the MKIII control arms by 1 inch (MKIII control arms were required because of the larger lower ball joint stud required by the MKIII spindles). The MKI rear inner control arm bushing fit the MKIII rear shaft okay. The tie rods were different too - the MKIII tie rods have 16MM threads where the MKIs are 14mm, and the MKIII rods are too short because of the lengthened control arms and the MKIII rack is longer. So I used two sets of MKIII tie rods on each side, cut to length and joined with a 2 inch threaded steel sleeve to get the length I wanted. The MKIII tie rods did screw into the end of the MKI rack shaft okay. That allowed me to use the MKIII outer tie rod ends which are offset to clear 18 inch wheels with deeper backspacing. To use the MKIII spindles with the MKI struts I machined sleeves (basically .095 wall tubing) to match the strut O.D. with the spindle I.D. Then there are the fender flares to clear the wider track width - LOL. You could avoid part of the hassle by using stock MKIII LCAs, MKIII hubs and bearings, and custom made CV shafts of the right length (DriveShaft Shop - but probably expensive). I'll post a photo of the old and new axles and the lengthened control arms under construction. Hope this helps.