Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Got this "Transmission overheating stop safely" notice.
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 PM   #21
tracycali
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104344
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 16, Level 1
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 2 tracycali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Drive it like a manual

As one of the other replies said, drive it like a manual. I have 110,000 miles on my '13 Titanium hatch. I love everything about this vehicle EXCEPT the PS 6-speed. I bought the extended powertrain warranty from the dealer when i bought the car new, and it's paid for itself many times over. First time in was for clutch pack failure and TCM replacement. 2nd time in was for shift motor failure. 3rd time in was leaking seals and another clutch failure. Never really left me on the side of the road as I was able to limp it into the dealer each time and the dealer arranged for covered rental each time. Apparently there have been some engineering improvements on some of the components and the dealer used these for my repairs. No problems in the last 30k mi. I attribute the newfound longevity to the improved components and the changes I've made to my driving habits. When in stop-and-go traffic put it in neutral. Shift into drive when you can maintain a steady speed of at least 5-7mph then when you stop put it back into neutral, rinse and repeat. Don't drop the hammer off the line. Ease into it, These trannys CAN NOT be driven like e fluid-coupled unit.