Focus Fanatics Forum banner

STS Feel

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kenpokid 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a STS for my 01 ZX3, but how different does the STS feel? Right now I can eaisly shift fast enough that the revs don't even start to drop by the time I'm in the next gear so under normal driving I would be waiting for the revs to drop before I let the clutch out. With a STS, I could just shift faster and wait longer [:)~]

I really don't race, so I would I benefit from a STS? I think they look much better than stock, but I'm not going to get it just for looks.

Also, if I do decide to get one, are these both the same?

http://www.intakesandexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=55_64&products_id=401
http://www.intakesandexhaust.com/product_info.php?cPath=55_64&products_id=400

#3 ·
The sts is a fun mod i have a focus central one and it is a ton of fun. I would get one because it would make driving much more enjoyable.

#4 ·
Alright, thanks. Yea, I heard the same thing mlowery, but they are both different prices so if they are the same, I'll get the cheaper one. The FC's are nice too, but I like the Steeda design where they made the bottom part of the pivot longer so the shifter doesn't have to be as short, but you still get the shorter throw.

#5 ·
yeah id agree go with the fc race shifter, also you may be able to shift a little faster with it because it reduces shift throw, or the distance you have to move the shifter between gears., tnother thing is it will be shorter in overall height.

#7 ·
I've you ever driven an RX-8 you know how tight the shifter feels. They come stock with short shifters. I like the feel so I got the STS. I can't really shift any faster since my dual mass flywheel prevents rpms from dropping fast enough, but i can say that shift feel more secure. I don't know if that will help your decision.

#8 ·
Thanks. Yea, sometimes the shifts feel a bit sloppy with the stock shifter. Like I'm "sort of" in gear, but not sure. The only other standard I've driven was a Jeep Cherokee and the shifter in the Focus is probably 4 times shorter [:)~]

I'll probably end up getting one. If I hate it that much, I can always sell it here.

#9 ·
I got the ford racing, and the throws are about 50% shorter, and A LOT more secure. I used to grind the gears every once and a while cause I thought the car was in gear, but was actually in tranny limbo. No more gear grinding since i put the new shifter.

The metal reverse lockout is COLD in winter though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.