Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Sound FX 18940 Fitment

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  keensali 
#1 ·
Hi Foci warriors,

We bought our daughter a 2003 Focus ZX5/5spd a few years ago, I love driving that thing. Recently it has developed a rust hole in the muffler. I looked at the resonator section and it is not looking all that healthy either. Now the hard part...
I know there are a pile of sound mongers who campaign against loud exhaust, I got your platform...understood. BUT, having said that...we began to like the slightly louder tone of the exhaust. By no means is it loud, but just a bit throatier is all. This brings us back the post title.
I have the replacement muffler and long pipe, and am now looking for the resonator section. The prices are around $100 for a run of the mill type section. I looked and looked to find a resonator that may give a bit more base tone to the exhaust and could only find the Sound FX 18940. I am sure it will be much quieter than what we have now, but it is the only "bolt on...or clamp on" part I can find that may have a different note. I see lots of aftermarket "weld on" stuff, but I don't weld and am looking to keep the costs down and do it all myself.
Final blurb, I promise....Can anyone tell me if the Sound FX 18940 will fit a ZX5/3? I look at one site and it says no, I look at another and it says yes. I am looking for someone to let me know if they have tried it on their ZX5/3. Not to sound like a dork, but I am not looking for someone to search the part on the web and tell me what that particular site tells them...been there...done that. Anyone with hands on experience with this part number on their ZX5/3?

See less See more
#3 ·
I honestly never considered an SVT exhaust, didn't know they would be affordable. I ended up buying the mid pipe with muffler for about $70 shipped to my door. I also bought the sound FX 18940 resonator.
For those who want to know, it does not fit the ZX5/3 model cars without some modification. If you picture the resonator in its correct position, it has pipe leading toward the engine that is designed to be connected to the mid pipe with muffler. The pipe leading this direction is too long, but I believe I can cut it to the proper length and make it work.
The tail pipe that extends from the resonator out under the rear bumper is also too long, but easily cut to fit. The reason I went ahead and bought the 18940 is all due to cost. It was only $84 shipped to my door. The proper fitting resonator for this car is double that price(at least that was all I could find online).
I have the mid pipe with muffler in place now. I need to measure the amount of pipe I need to cut off the resonator, cut it, and then either buy a butt end union or have a local muffler shop expand the end that needs to join the mid pipe.
I will report back when I get it buttoned up...

#4 ·
For those who may be interested, I did make the resonator work by using a butt joint with a 2" I.D. overlap connector pipe and clamps. No leaks and the car is very very quiet now.
I did move it around the driveway with only the mid pipe and muffler...with just that on there it was very quiet. The mid pipe and muffler I put on is the Walker Quiet Flow 47775. Fit perfectly and sure is quiet. Looking back, I should have done a cheap lunchbox delete since this muffler is works so well.
For those of you who are looking to do an inexpensive stock sounding exhaust repair, this is the way. Install the Walker 47775 and a simple resonator delete and you will be all set for about $100 total investment.
This does not include the cat or the flex pipe that goes over the cross member to join the mid pipe/muffler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.