Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Opinions on header wrap for svt header?

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  TexasFoCi 
#1 ·
Going to be installing my svt header soon and wanted to order the header wrap for it... Obviously lots of guys on here have done this swap... I remember seeing a post with amount of header wrap someone used but can't seem to find it now... So wondering what everyone has used(dei titanium, regular wrap with silicone coating, ect)? Also what size roll(I.e. 2in x 50ft roll, ect)? And feedback would be greatly appreciated... Thanks...

#2 ·
2" x 50' will be just enough to wrap the whole header. What brand you use is up to you. I would suggest though spraying it with some of that header wrap spray that they make to help it keep from rotting off. I just used some generic header wrap off of Ebay and it worked fine, it is after just fiberglass or what ever it's made of, though I've header good things about that titanium DEI wrap, but to me it's all the same.

#3 ·
Thanks... I thought I had read a thread when doing previos searches that a 50' roll would work... Wasn't sure if it was one or two inch tho...did u coat yours afterwards with the silicone spray? Or while u were wrapping it? Also how many ties did u use and what size? And how much a overlap did u use when wrapping?

#4 ·
I used a inch over lap on the 2" wide roll, I forget how many ties I used but I remember it was quite a bit more than I thought it would be, but I also wrapped each pipe separately where some will wrap a pipe and move onto the next one. I didn't spray it with anything and it eventually rooted and fell off. If you touched it, it would turn to almost dust lol but I had mine on for a long time, it all falls off and rots eventually. It drastically lowered my under hood temps though when it was on there. You could put your hand on the intake side of the valve cover and hold it there, before you couldn't do that.

#6 ·
Doesn't matter what brand it will all rot eventually. A local member has the DEI stuff and it's rotting off too. The stuff I used was the no name ebay stuff. It should easily last a year though. Mine lasted a few years without being sprayed.

#7 ·
I used aircraft wire to hold mine in place.
The last one I wrapped I used the ties in the kit and cut the hell out of my fingers. Never again I told myself.

And, thicker doesn't change anything. It's how tight the wrap is that makes it work well.
I've done minimal overlap, double wrap and in-between. Surface temp didn't change much at all.
The biggest change I saw was wrap with the factory heatshield.

#8 ·
Ok thanks... I appreciate the info from both of you... I think I will just buy dei wrap and hope for the best.. It's not a huge difference in price... Iminhell... Will I need the svt heat sheild or will my stock zetec one fit? My stock one is in almost perfect shape...

#11 ·
I wrapped my svt header with a roll of 2inx50ft dei titanium had about 6ft left, keeps the engine temp down and you don't need to seal it.

What I did was wrap one tube then measure how much I used for that tube, then cut 4 strips that length with 1 inch more and then you have like 20 ft left for the bottom.

Just make sure you have your bung welded in before you wrap it(or have a delete for the egr) I made that mistake, I only realized after I was done[bash] and I had to re-wrap it and then the wrap was starting to fall apart so don't play with it too much.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316481

#13 · (Edited)
USE GLOVES!!!!!!

I used 3 x 25' lengths of Red SickSpeed 2" wrap, from eBay. I used all but about 4 feet of it. Came with stainless pull ties, I used 12 out of 15? Coated with VHT ceramic clear when done.

You need to wrap 2 pipes down to the first collection point and then wrap the other two down to the bottom collection point.

Overlapped 1" - I didn't wrap all the way down because my car is way low and the header will probably scrape so no need to wrap what will be scraping eventually.

You should soak the wrap in water before wrapping, makes it more pliable.

#14 ·
used a 50 foot and a 10 foot section. and had a little bit left over. but wanted to make sure that i had enough to get it all done and it will frey when doing bits. so trimmed a bit a few times to get a good edge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.