Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ever heard anything about MFactory LSDs?

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  J0EC00L 
#1 ·
Im about to buy one to throw in my MTX-75 since i cant find any Torsen and hear they are weak, and Quaife is 1200$.

Shipped the Mfactory is 712. Says its rated at 1000TQ.

I just want to know how well it works and the quality. They have both a plate LSD and a helical, id be getting the helical.

#2 ·
#4 ·
What is your hp range going to be? Torsen will be more then enough unless your building some kind of 1/4 mile monster.

#5 ·
A friend of mine has one in his Prelude and it works well. No bad habits and the car is driven very hard (it is a track car).

Also call Torsen. I know their website says out of stock, but it is worth knowing when they will be available again, IMO.

#6 ·
Sorry guys i didnt get a noti that i got replies lol. Anyways im looking at 220-250WTQ as a goal for FI on stock internals for now. When i upgrade the internals(far future probably) i dont want any more than 3-350. The thing with the torsen is for the same price the mfactory IS available to ship right now. I was just wondering on the quality of parts and the reputation of the company.

#8 ·
you can buy a Torsen from Torsen for $625 + shipping.. they are not weak, there has only been 1-2 ever documented for braking due to over power and that was at 500+ WHP. Torsen did not have a warranty "because you cant brake it". Torsen can SHIP NOW.

I was going to get one end of this month, but C-F-M is coming out with the higher RPM oil pump in the next month or so. so funds will be allocated to the oil pump.

Edit: I retract that statement...http://s300909324.e-shop.info/shop/...lWoyjfdaBx&shop_param=cid=1&aid=975420-0208A&
its out of stock!?!?! i got an email from them just 3 weeks ago saying they had a 16 units as of April 5th still in stock and come end of May they should still easily have some in stock. Wonder if some distributor came in and bought them up...

#9 ·
Update: Contacted Rick with Torsen. Even though the site says they don't have nay in stock they do have them. the guy who did the website store is no longer with the company and they can not update the website at this time. call them and ask for Christine Stokes or cmstokes (at) torsen (dot) com and she can get the order for you!. They still have a dozen or more Rick physically checked the inventory.

#12 ·
I went with a KAAZ Super Q LSD in my custom Lentech Auto. The Lentech shipped last Friday so I should have it and installed this weekend. I never heard anyone on FF using the KAAZ. I will let everyone know how it is. Also, I know that there are different types of LSD. Like the Quaife is an ATB Helical type, the KAAZ is a 1.5 way Clutch Type and the Torsen is a T2 Torque Sensing Torque Biasing. I am not sure what all the difference is, I think they operate different. I did look up how the KAAZ works, I would be typing forever to explain. But if anyone knows and wants to explain the differences I would be all ears.

Peace
Joe

#13 ·
i know the clutch type is a lot better suited for track/drag and isnt really ideal for a street driven car... I think it has something to do with engine harmonics and harshness.. Personally all i really care about is using as much of my power as i can under any circumstance. I ran my car in autocross and all my power was on the inner wheel and it would just spin... drag starts as well where my tires break loose. 1 way is accel only(best for fwd) means as soon as you lift the diff acts as an open diff allowing for better turn-in, 2 way is accel and decel(very bad for fwd)and will push the car through the corner(understeer) and 1.5 has a reduced decel and is more for track cars as the decel isnt 100% open like 1 way.(can help stability though not sure about on a fwd car).

The torque sensing is exactly as it sounds.. takes the torque sensed on the driveshafts and distributes bias accordingly. the ATB is essentially the same. Automatic Torque Biasing. Correct me if im wrong though... "That means it’s much smoother in operation, because unlike a conventional plate-style LSD, it never locks harshly with a set pre-load of wheel slip across the driven axle. Rather, it automatically biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle, to a constantly varying degree and never locks." <--Quaife's website.

#15 ·
I read allot about this and everyone has their own opinion some prefer the clutch type and some the other types. And each has its ups and downs.

So... to each his own

The new KAAZ does have WPC treatment which is supposed to make it smoother and require no break in.

I just got the call - my lentech is here. Going in this Saturday. Woo Hoo

Peace.

#17 ·
Yes you can replace the clutchs & change the torque bias vs a torsen where you can't change the torque bias. I went w/ the torsen, cause it works great w/ 5.0L mustangs, vs the trac-loks.

#18 ·
We've been using KAAZ diff's in both team rally cars and they've been awesome. One is on it's 3rd 1/2 season and the other on it's second. No issues with either. Had them set to 60% lock to preserve turn in. They have not needed a rebuild yet but the one that has been in longer use is starting to get there.

#19 ·
For what your doing the Kaaz diff's work great & you can adjust bais, where a atb diff. wouldn't work if you get one wheel off the ground.

#22 ·
No problem.
At first I was unhappy with how noisy it was. It sounded like my car was falling apart almost every time I turned. It then gradually made noise less and less. Now after a couple thousand miles its very quiet and almost never makes noise. I would recommend the KAAZ to anyone. I have mine set to 60% as well.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.