Focus Fanatics Forum banner

is this true?

3K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  looker44 
#1 ·
i have an 01 se and above the ford logo looks like a cowl and a rubber?plastic looking tube that goes to the bottom of the air box has anyone tried to relocate it to get better air flow i eventually want to get a cold air intake but i want to know if i can move this down between the fog lights or something if that will help the motor get more air

#4 ·
I would look up the Hot Rod Wagon mod if you are looking to modify the stock intake system

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

#6 ·
Right now the air has a direct route to the engine from the grille. There's no better location for it.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

#9 ·
I asked this question a few months ago. I have a CAI already though, so I was wondering if relocating the intake would make the CAI more efficient. I was told that unless the air was colder, it wasnt going to be more efficient. I thought maybe it could be relocated down by the foglights, but it would really be about the same thing. I decided that insted of relocating the whole intake system, I could add another one! So I went to the local junkard and got all the piping from another Focus. But...it is still sitting in my room so I have yet to know if it helps or not. lol

#13 ·
Please leave the stock intake alone. The air has no problem getting to the engine, it goes straight from the grille, over the aerodynamic hump, and sucked into the snorkel.
Posted via FF Mobile

#17 ·
Ive been told that all that hump does is keep debris out of the intake. If you look at the ST170 there is NO bump..just a nice little air inlet. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focu...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ad13b41fd)

BTW: I did my own style of the deflector.

The thing that I was talking about is essential the same a stock. You just change the intake scoop size and location. You are not missing with anything too much. The HRw deal is nice.. I just need to figure out how to keep water out of the hose

#15 ·
^Thats interesting. I havent seen that before.

I say atleast try it. Worst case scenario you can put it all back. If you try it and nothing happens (I am not really expecting a whole lot to happen anyways. haha) then I and others will know not to do it (or something similiar).

#24 ·
You will notice NO performance increase by flipping the snorkel upside down. The tube diameter is still the same size, its still getting the same amount of ram air (if not less) the air box is the same size, and the tube to the tb is still the same. Its already flowing at its max rate. I'm all for making your car better for cheap, but you are going down a dead end street. Just buy a volant, or even an ebay cold air intake for $50 shipped.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

#25 ·
actually its been proven colder air is more dense. So if there is a way he can get his intake temps down than he will be getting denser air into the engine. which is basically getting more air. therefore being faster. although you will not be able to tell because at MAX it would be 5 degrees

#29 ·
Moving the snorkel will NOT make the air more dense. It has direct access to ambient temps. The HRW mod will lower the temps.

As Yoda said, cold air intakes work. They add plenty of power, my ebay one worked great and sounded awesome. 50 bucks.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

#31 ·
That does help some, but the euro st170 grille is the best. It actually routes the air into the svt snorkel. I cut that section out of the hump, too.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.