Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Replacing stock air box and snorkel with SVT

11K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  Neiderhiserm 
#1 ·
Just as the title says, I'm going to be doing this to my ZX3 (2002 ZETEC) soon, and I was wondering what all I have to disassemble to gain access to the snorkel and what not. Any pictures would be awesome as well. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'm not running an SVT snorkel at the moment -- just the stock snorkel. You WILL have to do some slight modifications to get the SVT snorkel to work with the stock airbox because the snorkel opening/attachment point is shaped differently.

Here's a good write-up that should help (I've seen some posts where other people have joined the hose/snorkel part of the SVT snorkel to the stock airbox adapter using hose clamps and high-temp tape, so there are other methods out there that work):

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=57

Hope this helps a bit!

EDITED TO ADD:

This link shows you what the difference is between the SVT intake/snorkel and the stock intake/snorkel:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171885

#4 ·
All you need to do is disconnect the MAF tube from the side of the airbox. Then loosen the two plastic screws that hold the fron of the snorkel to the radiator crossmember. Remove the PCV hose. Then it will all just pull out. The snorkel will go in w/o removing anything, but it requires a little patience.

#7 ·
I found it easier with the battery and tray out to be able to route the snorkel. The airbox just pulls out completely. If you have the SVT MAF to go with the airbox and snorkel, it would be better to use it. There is a definite increase in airflow between the stock and the SVT intakes.

#10 ·
You use your maf, not the svt one. The inner diameter is way different and will cause a check engine light and the car wont right right. The only way to the svt one is to have it tuned for it.

#11 ·
From what I've seen the stock airbox top should bolt directly on to the SVT airbox bottom -- just pull out your stock airbox bottom half and your stock snorkel, then install the SVT snorkel and the SVT airbox bottom half. This means there should be no need to swap out or uninstall the airbox top, the MAF tube, or the MAF in order to convert to the SVT airbox bottom and the SVT snorkel.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on this, because this is what I have planned for a future upgrade.

#12 ·
I wouldnt do that, its different and the svt was designed as a unit. The maf will change right over. Have you got the box yet? If not, PM me.

#17 ·
I do already have the box and snorkel, thanks tho. My question now is this ... on the driver's side, there's a rectangular opening basically around where the airbox resonator would mount on the stock box. Is there supposed to be something there? I tried looking on FordParts.com but they didn't really have any pictures of the SVT box setup.

#15 ·
Just to clarify, did you retain your stock Zetec intake tube (from the MAF/airbox lid to the intake manifold), the stock MAF, and the top half of your stock (non-SVT) airbox and just slide the lower half of the SVT airbox and SVT snorkel in place below all that?

#16 ·
u guys have good timing with this discussion, i just removed my SVT snorkel (have short ram) from my SVT, and was considering it for my regular zetec

#22 ·
I answered that in the post above -- it's the "S"-shaped thing in this pic (the part coming out of the airbox):

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2332934&postcount=8

That "S"-shaped thing coming out of the airbox is this -- the straight part goes into the rectangular hole in the SVT airbox where the resonator goes on a stock airbox:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2332067&postcount=5

That's not an "Iceman" part, that's how the actual SVT airbox looks (that IS an unmodified SVT airbox) -- the Iceman kit includes a tube that mounts in place of the resonator on a stock airbox, SIMILAR to the SVT "S"-shaped pipe, but the Iceman tube routes forward towards the airbox.

See also this pic:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1817591&postcount=21

THIS pic shows a stock airbox with the actual ICEMAN parts installed (the yellow parts):

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34793&highlight=iceman

#24 ·
The "S" shapped intake attachment (instead of the resonator on a standard Zetec airbox) is an engineered part. It connects to a "sleeve" which sits on the bottom of the SVT airbox and opens directly at the snorkel openning. Along with the larger snorkle/tube and corresponding openning in the lower airbox, the "S" shaped intake attachment connected to the sleeve is what gives the SVT airbox the performance advantage.

Some have removed the "S" shaped attachment, for whatever reason, however the stock SVT airbox with a K&N flat panel replacement filter has been proven to match/better the performance of the Volant (probably the most popular aftermarket replacement airbox sold for the Zetec). Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

If your intake didn't come with the "S" shaped intake attachment, the intake will still function fine. IMO, I would keep my eye out for one.

As far as price, shop around. I've seen the SVT airbox and snorkle going new for $130 + ship. I'll try and find the link.

Here's a recommended place to buy the SVT airbox and snorkle new.

#25 ·
Well, at this point, I don't need to buy the whole airbox and snorkel. I just need the S piece, since I have everything else already. Right? I can't even find the S curved thingy on FordParts.com to even get an idea of what just it would cost. Wonder if Mike could find it for me.

#39 ·
So, its all in and nicely installed. Now one thing I did notice. A lot of people were saying just reuse the stock airbox top, since it lines up. This is true. But I noticed that the SVT box top is a bit taller, so I don't know what kind of difference it will make, but I did use the SVT's top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.