Focus Fanatics Forum banner

I change my oil every 2100 miles

5K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  SkaAddict 
#1 ·
What do you guys think... I always change my oil, using fully synthetic MOBIL 1 5w-20 with new filter every 2100 miles.
I just do it because it gives me a peace of mind that everything is running well there.

So what do you guys think... anyone does the same? [thankyou]

#4 ·
I know it is strange to say that I change at 2100, but the reason for it is that as soon I change the oil i start keeping track of it and after I pass 2000 mark, I am already planning to change it and by them time I do it I already have 2100 on it... LOL

#7 ·
It's good preventative maintenance, to be sure - a lot of people would say you're pissing money into the wind, but to some, peace of mind is priceless. I don't change my oil anywhere near that often, and I'm 95% sure I'll suffer any multitude of failures well before I get my engine to take a dump due to dirty oil.

#12 ·
But, to the guy above... why would you ever want to change your oil every 25k... that is just crazy...
I've been doing it for two and a half years now, although the oil I use is good to 35,000. I've put over 70,000 miles on my car with that change interval without any problem. I spend about $60 on oil and a filter, once per year...to me, its worth the convenience alone of only having to change my oil once per year, not to mention the money I save over changing my oil on a much shorter interval.

As far as changing your oil once every 2000 miles...well, lets just say the executives at Mobil would just love to have a million customers just like you. At one point, the president of Jiffy Lube said that if they could convince their customers to get their oil changed 100 miles sooner they'd make an extra $20 million/year. With Mobil 1 you'd be safe changing your oil once every 5,000-7,000 miles...hell, even dino oil is good for 3,000-5,000. You're pretty much throwing your money away with that short of a change interval.

#13 ·
I change mine every 3-4000 thousand miles- with Pennzoil Plat--

Heres why you should change your oil often,
-As An engine accumulates miles blowby increases, unburned fuel entering the crankcase which dilutes the oil...
This causes your oil to break down. So by changing your oil at such delayed intervals, you can end up with accelerated wear and all the engine problems that come with it (loss of performance and fuel economy, and increased emissions and oil consumption).

Those should be reasons enough to change oil every so often-

#14 ·
For those who really want to know, there are laboratories who will analyze the oil from your crankcase for a fee (maybe $20 or so) and you can determine whether you have a good interval for your piece of machinery. Truth is they [2.0 zetec, 2.3 duratec, etc.] are not all EXACTLY the same, because there are allowable build tolerances, and therefor will use oil differently. Blackstone Laboratories is one on the internet that I've checked into, but I've never actually used the service yet.

#15 ·
i change mine every 5k, just like the owners manual says...

im sure ford knows how and why you would change it at 5k, and wouldnt publish it in all of the focus manuals if it wasnt the correct interval

changing at 2100 miles is a little too soon IMO, but i suppose if a little peace of mind is worth about 40ish dollars every three months, then its well worth it

different strokes for different folks

#18 ·
Overkill my friend.......3000 for synth, you dont need to go any less.

#19 ·
i was under the impression using synthetic fluids allowed you to go longer between changes, but if you want to do it at 2100 miles go for it, i do personally think its overkill, but thats what everyone said about me buying the 100,000mi extended warranty and boy did that pay off...

#22 ·
I change mine every 5K-8K miles and have never had a problem. When I bought my first new truck back in the early 90's I would change it every 3K miles. Now I look back and think of all the money that I wasted.

#25 ·
and change tranny fluid every 10k with ofcourse royal purple.
Don't mind me for asking...but why? Ford doesn't even have a change interval for the MTX-75...all the transmission fluid in a manual transmission does is provide lubrication for the gears, and since the transmission is (for the most part) sealed off there's little chance for contamination. The MTX-75 also has a large magnet attached to its housing which is there solely to catch any metal particles that might come from the gears. Realistically, you should only change the fluid if you have to take the axles out for some reason...and even then, it wouldn't hurt to simply re-use the existing fluid.

#24 ·
I'm in the once per year if it needs it or not. I've never blown an engine in anything and I've been running this way since 1986 in several vehicles. I'm not crazy on the street, but I've never been accused of being gentle on anything. My trucks get abused hardily off road.

When I first started driving there was a Volkswagon Rabbit running one of the giant desert races. He had something completely destroy the radiator yet he finished the vast majority of the race on a motor with no coolant at all, not a drop. They attributed that to him running Amsoil synthetic so I called around (Al Gore hadn't invented the internet at that point, it was still only colleges). The research at that time showed that dino-oil was nothing more than sludge after 500 miles while after 15,000 miles the lab-produced synthetic was dirty but still as lubricating as it was new. I changed and never looked back. The only issue I've ever had was in my 2001 Supercrew with a beat-up 5.4l. It sprung leaks due to not being used to the smaller molecules of synthetic.

Believe the hype if you must, but a real synthetic is wasted by changing it at less than 10k, 21k is an oil tycoon's dream-date but it's all about comfort and enjoyment so I'd never say anything is wrong with changing it more often.

#26 ·
i change my synthetic oil every 2800-3000 miles

u'd love to live long right? i bet your car would want the same..... for everything else there's mastercard

#27 ·
Good thread, I became an Amsoil Dealer today because of it. Thanks. FYI, Amsoil is billed as a 25k, or 35k oil depending on the grade of oil needed.

As for changing synthetic every 2800-3000, wow. That's dedication. I don't believe that you're gaining anything but you're certainly not hurting anything other than your wallet.

#28 ·
I've always believed 3000/3 months is a normal interval(maybe that's a regional thing?) I run 3000 miles every 2 months, which I think is a lot and my zetec is 800 miles short of 120,000.. so I change my oil every 3k with Castrol Syntec 10w40 & Motorcraft or Fram filter.. IMO, after 3k peace of mind is worth it, especially since my zx3 puts up with a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.