Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Brake Caliper Clip...

13K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  JohnMichael 
#1 ·
If I freaking cursed, I would have been yelling a syphony of them at this little clip that attaches to the front brake calipers...you know the one I am referring to, don't you? Goes into two little holes, and braces the pad to the caliper...

Man, is there any sorta trick to getting that little fetcher back on?! Do you just stick one side in, and then try to wedge the other in or what?...

Thanks for the help, guys...I'm in the process of installing my new pads and rotors...

#2 ·
What i have found that worked...put the bottom one in first...pull it toward the back of the car so the notch butts up against the caliper then push the top of the clip on the other shelf. Then push the last tip into the hole...you almost have push it IN and Forward at the same time and then jam it in the hole. This is a big pain in the ass, i would wear gloves and have a flat head screw driver handy. Here is a picture to help out my horrible ramblings.

Reactions: zx3_bmxrider
#3 ·
Wowsers, I just got it done...again, wish I could let loose a string of ************'s, but I'll just stick to my 'fetcher' and 'crapper'... [;)]

Wonderful tip, thank you Lunarc. I followed the first step of yours, but I then grabbed the top point and simply jammed it into the top hole... I think out of sheer might and frustration, it just popped right back in. Either that, or God was done laughing and decided to help out... [:D]

#4 ·
Man....I did my pads/rotors on Sat and this is the first day I've driven w/o the clips in. Shouldn't hurt too much....HOPEFULLY. I tried and tried and couldn't get the clips in.....now that I've found this thread I'll retry it.

#5 ·
Keep at it, I literally thought I was going to go insane trying to get that clip back in...like playing the same level over and over and over again on a really tough video game. You get soooo close everytime, only to get a Game Over. [;)]

It really helps if you have a set of pliers to bend/shift the clip into place.

#6 ·
JohnMichael said:
Keep at it, It really helps if you have a set of pliers to bend/shift the clip into place.
I did have pliers on it as well.....I may try to heat the wire up a little....boil it in some water or use a propane flame to heat it up to help "pursuade" it. Thanks for your help man. [thumb]

All in all I thought the brakes were the easiest I've changed....only 30 minutes per side......till I tried to get the clip back on!! [?|]

#7 ·
lol, feel the same way...would have been a snap had it not been for that little guy! Be careful about heating, you definitely don't want to lose that original shape.

#8 ·
ahhhhhh........ back from the dead.

#11 ·
man common guys it easy, you slid on one side and get the other in the verge were it is falling off, then take a flat head screw drive and a hammer, and tap it on, once it's on tap the top and the bottom again, i did my first brake pad and rotor switch and had no problem back in novemeber ( i am only 17), the only thing is i bought crappy pads but got new ones in just have to install them,

#13 ·
guywiththeford said:
man common guys it easy, you slid on one side and get the other in the verge were it is falling off, then take a flat head screw drive and a hammer, and tap it on, once it's on tap the top and the bottom again
I understand the "concept" of getting the clip back on, but when I put one end into the hole the other side is so far away from the hole I just don't see how it's possible. I've got about 1/4" to get the other side into the hole.[:(]

#14 ·
JohnMichael said:
Keep at it, I literally thought I was going to go insane trying to get that clip back in...like playing the same level over and over and over again on a really tough video game. You get soooo close everytime, only to get a Game Over. [;)]

It really helps if you have a set of pliers to bend/shift the clip into place.

Man I totally hear you. I was going NUTS. First side I did, somehow I got it back on without too much trouble. The second one though, OMG. Impossible. I forced and forced and forced, and finally randomly it popped on. My thumbs were so sore after that for like 3 days.

#16 ·
i have had a lot of luck with some small vice grips. i set the clip in the bottom hole, aligned the clip along the break. I then locked the vice grips about 5mm above the other end that is not in the hole. i then used my weight to push it down and over. when the clip was in i let go vice grips off and gave the clip a small tap to make sure it was fully in and i was done. the first side took me about 10 min until i tried with the vice grips the other side took me about 1 min and 2 tries.

#17 ·
i will be swapping my old crappy pads ( new) for some great metallic ones, I think i will do it tomorrow, i will take some pics of it, but i am not making any promisses about tomorrow but sometime this week for sure.

#20 ·
BFocusSVT said:
I dont even take that thing off anymore. I just leave it on and take the old pads out, then squeeze the new pads in. I figure it'll take me 2 business days to put the spring in, or 1 day to squeeze the pads in while the clip is still connected: i'll take 1 day please.
^^he is right. unless you are painting the calipers, there isnt any reason to remove these PITA clips. just slide the old ones out. and force the new ones in. you may need a screwdriver or sorts to gently pry the slide down so the arms of the pad will go on top. and that is it.

STOP REMOVING THE PITA CLIPS!

#21 ·
well, I only looked at this thread after I started to remove everything. Have never done brake pads before on any of the cars, never owned one long enough, so I just started to take it apart and figure it out. Real easy, 20 minutes about for each side, but then came those clips, and 2 hours of frustration and pain, yesterday.

Then I ran upstairs and looked at this thread, didnt really help at all, but my friend and I got them in this morning after about 30 minutes, with just a screwdriver and a thumb this time. Though next time, ill definitely make sure not to take them off.

#23 · (Edited)
I realize this is an old (but useful) thread but I just went through the process of changing the pads and rotors on my 2003 SVT and this is how I solved the problems of the Cursed Clips. I posted annotated picture at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B84Ihb1c4i-QaDM1SWpoTmE4RzA/edit?usp=sharing but if you can't see it here are the steps.

1. Hold the clip roughly horizontal and put pin into lower hole.
2. Rotate the clip into position so the lower "arm" is on top of the caliper bracket where it should be.
3. Place the top pin into the top hole with the upper "arm" underneath the caliper bracket. The clip is now approximately in the correct location, with just the upper "arm" out of place.
4. Use a large clamp (I used a furniture clamp) to lightly hold the upper pin in place.
5. Use a screwdriver to easily slide the upper "arm" over the top of the caliper bracket.

#25 ·
I got rid of my SVT 4 years ago...loved that car, but hated the shoddy build and cheap parts that kept breaking down on me.

Nuclear Holocaust could start tomorrow and those damn brake clips would be the only thing to survive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.