Goodyear Eagle Authority 215/45ZR17 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113556
What I Drive: 2011 Flame Metalic Blue SES

Points 302, Level 6
Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6 Points: 302, Level: 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Smokey1r Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Goodyear Eagle Authority 215/45ZR17

Ive been doing some research on different tires i came across this re-branded Goodyear tire for walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/11983149

After doing all the research i could on this tire looking at some reviews I went to my local walmart and looked at the tire they had on display, it happen to be the size that fits my 2011 SES (215/45ZR17). The sidewall seems very stout and the tread depth looked to be quite deep, the hardness of the rubber seemed pretty good in comparison to other tires that were high mileage rated and it has a very aggressive rim protector. And its just within my budget including mounting balancing road hazard warranty etc..

Keep in mind I'm not looking for a super performance tire, i have no need to race or do any x-cross with the vehicle and I don't take corners hard. Almost all of my driving habits are highway and some city driving, summertime driving in heavy rain conditions often. I'm also looking for something that will do decent in the winter time conditions (snow/ ice) as well. I don't have the funds to do a winter set and summer set of tires yet so all season is my choice for now

With this said it brings me to this?;

Has anyone had any experience with this particular tire, good, bad, indifferent?

How quiet is this tire on various road surfaces?

Does it have a hollow resonant sound to it on the road?

How well does the tread wear assuming the vehicle is properly aligned and there's no abnormal wear occurring?

How well does it handle winter conditions (ice / snow)??

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Points 302, Level 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well, im gonna be the Guinea pig on this one it seems!!!.

I was seriously considering the Continental Extreme Contact DWS but I was just short the $$$ needed to get those tires so i took a chance last Sunday and purchased the Goodyear Eagle Authority.

So i waited the an hour and a half for them as they were swamped with tire installs to install the tires on my car and when i got the keys back i asked if the old tires were loaded in the car as i took them back so i can avoid the disposal fee and afford these tires, they didn't. So as i was waiting for the tech to bring the old tires over i did the usual walk around of all 4 tires to make certain there was nothing visually wrong and right off i see both front and rear tires on the drivers side were installed backwards as it clearly said on the sidewall of the tire "this side faces inward" D'oH!!!, so i let the guy bringing the tires over know what was wrong and he said no problem we will correct this, so i hand the key back and wait another half hour for them to correct. I was handed the keys back and was thanked over and over again for not going off on them over the mistake!.
(I was taught at an early age you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!)

After i took the car for a quick test drive, bring the car home and i do the usual lug nut torque check as the trained monkeys there usually screw it up and they did! anywhere from 90 to 120 ft pounds according to my torque wrench so i corrected it all round to 100 ft pounds and call it good till i recheck again!.
The irony is i watched them through the window in the tire center going through the motions torquing the lug nuts with their torque wrench but I'm thinking if they hear it click right off it was set and not over set by the impact they used to screw the nuts on with......

I had to make trip to Iowa city, Iowa yesterday and the roads on the way there are a combination of different types of surfaces from county roads that are rocked and tar, cement roads grooved along and across the road to various ages of asphalt surfaces. Speed of travel varies from 55, 65 and 70 mph on the various roads.

Got my focus on the road and the first thing i noticed was the steering didn't have the mushy rubbery feeling dead spot in the center, nice and responsive!

Second thing i noticed was the road noise going slow was significantly less than my old tires but there still is an ever so slight rumble but not bad at all.
Once i was on the highway that rumble disappears for the most part and the normal road noise associated with the texture of the road is there, no more oscillating rumble!!!!

The tires also don't have the hollow rubber ball sound to them when going over smooth surfaces or inconsistencies or cracks in the road, just a solid thump with a slight ring to it and then nothing more! YAY!!!

The tires are smooth feeling and the steering response on the highway is very precise now, i don't have to overcompensate to get the desired steering correction to occur and then re compensate for the overcompensation. Going straight the tires feel sure footed with no wander or flex and through long sweeping turns its also precise, pick the position in your lane and it stays there!.

Of course there's is noise on rough textured roads and concrete that has the grooving perpendicular to the direction of travel on the road. The grooving that is parallel to the roads direction of travel its significantly less and the tires do not get caught in the grooves at all!!!!!

In my travels too and from and side trips in between there are a few cloverleaf like interchanges or off ramps i take and they are rated for 25 mph and 30 mph respectively, i decided to see how well the tires grip and the feel they have when being forced.
I got lucky and didn't have anyone near me and i pushed the 30 mph ramp to 45 mph, the tire stuck to the road very well i didn't have any feeling of tire fold at all or instability from it trying to fold like my old tires had!!!. The 25 mph ramp i took at 40 mph and was significantly sharper turning radius and the same result smooth as can be with no loss of grip!!!

As far as wet weather or snow i haven't been able to test these things yet but will post updates when i have new information available!!!

So far I'm quite pleased with the tire, Its not the end all be all of tires, the tread pattern is very similar to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, and its not the absolute quietest tire out there considering the fairly aggressive tread gaping on the outside facing tread block of the tire but its fairly quiet and a far cry from what i had!!!

Far as tread wear from what i can see so far with the casting slop left on the tire it took quite a while to wear off, almost 100 miles or so and there still is a bump from the casting slop present after my trip was complete. Stay tuned if you wish for further wear reports...

Take this for whats it worth and maybe it will help some of you out there decide if this tire is right for your vehicle?, or maybe something else?!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 24,130, Level 94
Points: 24,130, Level: 94 Points: 24,130, Level: 94 Points: 24,130, Level: 94
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 117 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Sounds decent, Nice thorough review!

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 11-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Points 302, Level 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Another update.....
I have almost 2k miles on the tires, so far the tread wear is practically non existent!, I barely can detect on the tread blocks a sawtooth pattern from the breaking forces on the front tires and the rears have none that i can detect at all.

The tires are still quiet on the highway (except for one thing ill be describing a few paragraphs down) and still have the very faint rumble at slow speeds, ( no change from when new) and the handling characteristics are still the same!.

Had a few opportunities to test the wet weather grip of the tires and so far it hasn't slipped at all in turns, I'm still waiting on some wet weather travel at highway speeds to see if these tires stay on the road or will they hydroplane like my old tires did to me quite a few times?

The downside....
So far the only issue I'm having with the tires is trying to get the trained monkeys at Walmart to correctly balance the tires!.....

A few weeks ago i started experiencing a slight vibration at 70 mph, it was faintly detectable at 65 but was really of no consequence to me till it started getting a bit worse, it would come and go and any bumps in the road either started it or stopped or reduced it. So i brought it in to have the tires rebalanced, told them what i was experiencing and they went to work.

After waiting over an hour my car was then worked on and they had it out in 30 minutes, i thought it was strange but i figured they are busy and are trying to get all the work done. I then get the car back and i check the lug nuts and true to form they cant torque a lug nut to specs to save their life!!!, anywhere from 80 ft pounds to 130, (they obviously skipped the torque part of it to get it out the door!), so i redid them with my torque wrench, set them to 100 pounds and away i go.

Test drove the car on the highway and it seemed like the vibration was gone!!!.... The next opportunity i had to take the car on a long highway trip to Iowa City i then got about 30 miles in to it and the vibration came back but not as bad, can feel the steering wheel and the floorboard pulsating real fast, its faint but after 100 miles of that it gets rather tiresome!.

Had to take a quick trip along the way up to cedar rapids Iowa and that stretch of road is generally smooth and VERY fast!!, the average speed on that stretch can get up to 85 mph. So i decided to go the flow of traffic and see how bad the vibration gets?, get the car up to 75 mph and the vibration starts to tail off but a horrid oscillating noise starts to appear on the passenger side only and gets ungodly loud at 80 mph, get it to 85 mph and it tails off as well as the vibration but doesn't totally disappear, just oscillates in and out at various frequencies. There's no pull or any other odd handling characteristics. I back off the speed slowly and it gets noisy again then the noise disappears and the vibration increases then it tails off at about 60 mph.

Another thing Ive noticed is the vibration does not appear at first when the tires are cold till about 3 or 4 miles in on a trip then it slowly kicks in and the fore mentioned symptoms occur.

My plan is to move either the front or rear passenger tire to the drivers side and try to duplicate the issue i experienced on the highway and see if the noise changes sides, isolate which tire if possible then go back to Walmart and have them fix the issue.
My thinking is there might be a tire that could possibly be slowly slipping a belt or its a combination of out of balance tires causing the issues?.

Aside from the oscillation from the cupping i had from the OLD tires i only had one re-balance done on them and it cured the balance issue and there was no horrid noise on the passenger side only at 85mph, the oscillation noise actually became slightly less but never ramped up like these tires are doing on the passenger side only so the likelihood of it being the car and not the tires is pretty slim.

Aside from that small issue I'm really liking the tires as far as handling is concerned and the lack of tread wear so far!

Stay tuned for the second episode of: Walmart, can i get their trained monkeys to do the job right this time??!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 302, Level 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Another update......

Had a short trip to Galesburg today, decided to do a little testing while i was over there......

Swapped the front tires around to see if the noise would change sides with the tire.
When i loosened the lug nuts on the passenger front i noticed the torque on 2 of them were not where it should of been, in fact it was very loose!!!. I was also shaking my head over the condition half of the lug nuts were in from the trained monkeys using an over sized impact socket and chewing em up, makes it very difficult to get the proper 19mm socket on em!!!
So i proceeded with the swap and noticed the lug studs and nuts had copious amounts of grease on them, seems the trained monkeys were globing on even more of the stuff on from the initial tire install.
So i wiped off all the excess i could and went ahead with the tire swap and re torqued the lug nuts and rechecked them all around yet again .

Got back on the highway and the first thing i noticed is the pulsating vibration was about 98% gone!.
While i was on a smooth stretch of the highway i pushed the car up to 75 mph and the noise i was hearing before was not there!, got up to 80 mph and still no noise, 85 mph Nada!!!, at this point I'm pushing my luck on a near empty road and tripping across a state trooper parked in the center median laying in wait for their next victim was very likely so i went back to behaving and went the posted speed limit....
The vibration is very minimal but i can still detect it even though its not really all that much of an issue to me now but i will be continuing to keep an eye on it for increases and also for loosening lug nuts too.
So it appears the noise and vibration was caused by 2 of the lugs on one side slowly loosening from over lubrication!
When i get some replacement lug nuts ill wash off the damn grease all together, rims too and apply a very tiny amount on my own on the studs to keep it from seizing instead of the flood of it they put on twice!, ugh!!!

As of right now im quite pleased with the tires, not so pleased with the trained monkeys!... but what do i expect for Walmart??!!
Old 11-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Points 302, Level 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Snow handling ability update......

Finally had a sizable snow accumulation and had to take the focus out to run an errand or 2.

First thing i noticed with the tires is the stopping ability in the snow is pretty good, not perfect but i was trying to make the tires slip and it was a bit difficult. I then tried to go through a difficult intersection that has many angles and primarily is at a slope, with my old tires i would slip to the side down hill all the time and have to make a radical turn and feather the throttle to attempt to regain grip till i was able to get in a rut that stopped the sideways slide. With these tires it slid a few inches then regained grip quickly and i was able to go across the intersection with relative ease, i was actually surprised!!!.

The tire like any other tire has a bit of difficulties with ice and rutting from previous traffic but does recover quickly as long as common sense is used with the steering and throttle application.
On roads where salt has been applied sparingly like the town im in likes to do and leaves a huge pile of slush everywhere because they don't want to spend the time to push it aside till they are darn well ready?, the tire handles these conditions very well no sliding or slippage like my old tires did. Yes i tried to spin out my tires to see if i can force it to lose grip and 90% of the time in the fore mentioned conditions it refused to slip.
Had to make a trip out to a friends place in the country, yes the county roads had only 2 inches of snow on them at the time un-plowed, slightly rutted and compacted from previous traffic but the tires handles this condition well enough to remain on the road with no fear of sliding off to the side. Had concerns about running on fresh snow to get to the house as theres a rather long driveway to the place i was going to but the tires gripped very well and sharp turns were easy with no slippage, to be honest i was quite surprised as i usually slip all over the place when traversing that driveway with snows over 1 inch ice or no ice under the snows!!

Overall the tire performs very well, its not perfect and no doubt there are tires out there that will out perform it but all in all I'm pleased with them and will feel a little better about running in bad conditions to a certain extent ( anything 4 inches and over the car will not travel well in with past experience) hopefully i wont have to test this out again?

Update on tire balance and rainy weather driving at highway speeds...

So far so good with the tire balance the lug nuts are staying torqued where i left them and the tire balance is not changing at all, I'm still periodically checking the torque.

Had a chance last Saturday (22nd) to run the car at highway speeds in very wet conditions with nasty crosswinds and the car handled it perfectly!, aside from having to make slight corrections from the crosswinds the grip was very good. The only thing that i could find wrong was the tires do get a high pitched whine in the water that is detectable if you put your head close to the side window but move away a few inches and it almost disappears.

I'm still checking for unusual wear on the tires and so far nothing so I'm thinking the alignment performed a while back will be good for a while!!!... least that's the hopes!!!

Ill keep updating as relevance justifies.....
Old 11-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red Titanium Hatch

Points 7,824, Level 59
Points: 7,824, Level: 59 Points: 7,824, Level: 59 Points: 7,824, Level: 59
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 5 roswelltop Good Standing Member
Takeaways from this story, if I may:

1. Goodyear Eagle Authority tires are adequate when torqued and balanced correctly.

2. Walmart is fine for underwear and canned peas. Buy your tires from a reputable tire dealer.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 302, Level 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by roswelltop View Post
Takeaways from this story, if I may:

1. Goodyear Eagle Authority tires are adequate when torqued and balanced correctly.

2. Walmart is fine for underwear and canned peas. Buy your tires from a reputable tire dealer.
The tire is decent, so far the wear is very minimal, a far cry from the hankook ventus V4 i did have!!!

On the first set of tires the trained monkeys did a excellent job on the tires and i was very pleased but as usual they go through employees like water there and i got the tires when they had employees there that didn't give a hoot... bad timing :(
Old 12-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Points 302, Level 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
rotation update...

the balance issues are still 98% gone and im still keeping an eye on the lug nut torque... I do have some TV appearing on my right front rotor due to the torque imbalance on 2 of the lug nuts but its very minor ( im super picky about those things!), and the same 2 lug nuts did start to loosen up once again after 1500 miles of use! so i'm re torquing at 100 ft pounds instead of 90 ft pounds :(.

The other day despite feeling like 100 miles of bad road from the latest bug going around i took the opportunity with a 52F day here and rotated the tires, its how i discovered the loose lug nuts once again. They were not as loose as before but enough to cause some concern.

The rear tire wear is minimal at best, some brake force feathering of the tread block and i noticed some minor feathering of certain internal tread blocks that's is no greater then the brake force feathering. Ill be keeping an eye on that as well but overall no cupping of the tires which is a huge plus!!!.

The front tires have a little more brake force feathering but nothing more, the wear on the front tires is also extremely minimal. I'm kinda surprised as the first rotation of my old set of tires showed considerable wear on the front tires from the drive force.

I did a front to back back to front swap changing sides as well, the few times Ive taken the car out there was a decrease in road noise but wont tell for certain till the next chance i get to take it on the highway.

Had lots of travel time in the rain and the tires continue to handle very well in those conditions, still waiting on more snow to test in but overall I"m very pleased with how the tire grips and how slow its wearing with almost 7 k on them!!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Points 302, Level 6
Level Up 4% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Its been a while since ive updated and as usual life get in the way of everything........

Im still running these tires minus 1 of them, ill get to that in a bit.

I have 35k on them now, they have for the most part been a decent tire aside from needing a few more balance jobs done to them. I did have the oscillation noise come back soon after the last post i had made and discovered it was one of the rims that has a run out issue (warped) with it and im going to replace it soon. Anywhere between 65 and 79 mph it would generate a whirring sound, i can track its position on the vehicle as i rotated tires every 5k.
As i mentioned i was having lots of balance issues and it finally tracked it down to one of the tires, When i had purchased the tires all but one of them had the same manufacture date with the exception of one, it was a year older, well the year older tire was the culprit, it was wearing faster than the rest and was constantly getting out of balance.
About a month ago i started having wicked balance issues and hearing a very loud rumbling noise and thought oh crap here we go again with the cupping issue on the rear suspension!!!!, it was the older tire cupping on the inside shoulder and happening very fast, the tire was just on the wear bars as well and has this strange ridge of rubber at the center of the tire tread that kinda is squiggly. Right after i purchased the car i replaced the stock tires on it and saved them for some odd reason well it came i handy as 2 of the tires are usable so i grabbed one of the Kumho tires and took it to wally world, had them swap the tire and re-balance. WOW!, what a difference aside from the oscillation noise at high speed, the slight rumble that has increased as the tires wear down. The ride was smooth as ice and quiet again!

The odd thing is the tire that has the oscillation problem is at the rear as well and its not cupping (that i can detect) at all so this really has me scratching my head as to why this happened other than a lower quality constructed tire but none the less im going to have a realignment done and instruct them to set the toe in to the very minimum specs as well as adjust the adjustable upper control arms i have installed to the minimum camber for one simple reason, The Kumho replacement tire is developing the same ridge on the very center of the tread and the tires when on the rear are wearing slightly faster than the front. it should be the opposite.

The front tires have about 5 k left on them and are close to the wear bars but are wearing evenly, so im thinking ill be able to get about 40k total out of the 2 remaining tires.
Im currently looking for 2 replacement rims so i can full size spare the rim with the Kumho tire on it, replace the warped rim and eliminate the highly irritating oscillating noise!.
Im thinking when the car had the collisions the damaged rim was overlooked because alloy rims are not thought of as being able to warp but instead crack, but with this one its not the case, i can spin it and see the warpage clearly!

Soon as i get the alignment, call around the local JY's for some replacement 17 spoke rims and have the time ill be retiring the current tires and replacing them with a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 i purchased recently. hopefully ill be able to get some decent tread life and a quiet ride out of em!

Oh and im not letting the trained monkeys at wally world near the front tires of my car as their inability to correctly torque a lug nut seriously warped my last set of rotors!. Since ive replaced the front rotors, pads and did the proper bedding of the brakes so far Ive been TV free and have rotated tires a few times with 0 issues. So i will walk the first 2 tires in and have them mount and balance, i'll install them on the front, then take the car in and instruct them to replace the 2 rear tires ONLY, re torque when done and go on about my business!!!!

Overall they were a decent tire, aside from the issues i have and will correct soon.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.