Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Winter Wheels

4K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  Sleazy Seagull 
#1 ·
First post after lurking...

So I want to buy a set of winter wheels. Browsing the forums and Craig's list I found a really cheap set of four wheels from a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon. Looking in one of the stickies it seems like this wheel will work on my vehicle.

Anyone have more info? Specifically whether I would require additional hardware? Spacers/hubs/etc? Can anyone confirm further specs on them (dimensions)?

Through my research I think they are a 5x108 bolt pattern. 43mm offset. And 6.5x16 wheel.

I'm going to check them out this weekend, so information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
Well, I went ahead and bought them. 125$ for all four. Cheaper than new steelies. They came with rubber which I don't plan on using and 3 of the 4 are holding air. It just so happens that the flat one has a slight dent to the lip of the wheel...hoping it will hold a seal.

Regardless it was a pretty good deal. Anyone know how to tell if a wheel is junk? I'm going to try and fill the tire later today.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip!

Upon further investigation I found that the tire has a decent slice, what appears to be a screw hole with the screw removed, and an old rubber plug. I am now leaning to one of those three as the culprit for the flat tire. I tried to push the tire down the best I could to inspect the bead, but it seemed ok. I'm going to try and get the tires removed and will be able to further inspect the wheels, especially since I think that tire on it is junk anyways. Being winter wheels, and only 125$, I may just see what a rubber mallet can do to the bend since I think it is cosmetic. I'll post the pics in a bit.

When I find the time, I'll try what you said. Thanks.

#8 ·
That'll work fine as is, not a bad bend.

Front side is a lot stiffer then the back, back side is where rims get flat spotted more often & enough to want to straighten.

You could try the 2X4 & mallet on that, but I'd avoid heat on that painted casting. Wouldn't try TOO hard though, it's actually a sharp bend on a stiff section you're trying to roll back a little & it's OK as is.

#9 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking it will be OK as is now too. Especially after my discovery of the 3 potential leaks in this one tire.

I may give it one whack or two if I feel like it, but probably not if she holds air. And since you're under the same assumption as myself, the wheels will probably stay as they are.

Now I need to find some well priced rubber. Is it sad that I'm a little excited for winter now? I wanted the summer so I could ride my motorcycle, but now I'm interested to see what the Focus looks/handles like with new wheels/tires in the winter.

#10 ·
Double posting here...

Are there any snow/winter tires that are advertised for high mileage? I drive 100miles~ per day as I commute to work. About 80% of that commute is droning down the highway. I understand having a softer tire dedicated for a particular season will not have a huge lifetime, but what kind of mileage can be expected of these tires? Is there a particular brand which puts up to long miles better?

I am hoping for at least 30k miles out of the tire, but I may be dreaming...

#12 ·
Every time I put in my cars tire size for Tire Rack I only get 3 winter tires. A set of Blizzaks and two sets of Pirelli.

Do they make that tire in 215/55-16?

Also, anyone have an idea what the WS80 is going to cost from Bridgestone? I see Tire Rack is having a close out sale on the WS70 @ 101$/tire.

#13 ·
We're out of season to know what'll be avail. to fit come Fall, the Blizzaks have the best rep for traction in the snow when NEW - but the poorest for lasting among the top grip tires. Best only in the first third of their wear, with more wander than some.

Newer models may be different, that's just the historic reputation. Best when Snow/Ice is regularly encountered, a trade off to something with less ultimate Snow/Ice traction & better wet handling/longer life would fit your situation better (lots of wet roads & miles, occasional nasty snow).

#15 ·
TMLTITAN has experience with ones that fit your model/yr., heard the Generals recommended before.

Michelin X-Ice is a premium winter tire, I'd try some Hakkapelitta's if I found 'em in my size. Stud type Winters are usually cheaper, without the super soft/grippy rubber compounds for Ice traction, can be as good or better in snow with lower Ice traction.

I've been running cheap snows on a Winter beater S-10 P/U for a while, so I don't have recent experience to offer. Before that it was studded mud terrains on the same P/U, never get stuck - not as great on packed snow & decent on ice.

Unique feature of the Bridgestones is a different tread compound (softer) for the top of the tread so when they're worn you're down to a harder base material. Allows use of a softer material for the best traction new, but changes more when worn. Obviously Winter tires aren't as much use when they get worn, change out by half depth for the best traction, so the top third being the "good stuff" isn't as big a deal for those who change them out more often.

#22 ·
Gotcha. I'll save a few dollars and the skip the offroad look with a 205/55 tire.

Seriously contemplating those Hankooks now. Good thing it is July, got quite a ways to decide.

Cleaned all the wheels yesterday and got the tires dismounted. A bunch of Simple Green, WD-40, and some dish soap worked fairly well. I would not eat off them, but now I can get them out of my trunk and into my apartment. Sucks not having a garage...

#25 ·
Well, over the weekend I test fitted one of the Volvo wheels on the rear hub. Seemed to fit up nicely and I suspect it will be the same for all four corners. Given the conical lug nut and bore in the wheel, I don't think I will need hub-centric spacers. The lugs will center the wheel nicely.

I still question whether I should keep the 215mm width though for the thoughts of additional dry handling. Tried to google about over sizing tire width on winter wheels and not much came up. Can anyone chime in on that?

Here are some pictures of the wheel fitment. I might almost like the Volvo wheels over the stock Ford ones. I will be able to tell better when rubber is mounted to them and the suspension is loaded.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.