Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Highway Speed and Cross Winds... Tire issues

6K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  ProjectCommuter 
#1 ·
Anybody notice that their Focus gets pushed around by cross winds at freeway speed? I noticed it a little in the past but it seems worse now that I have new tires. I switched to the Pirelli P7 (LRR Grand Touring Tire) to suit my long commute but I think they may have something to do with being pushed around with high winds.
Anybody notice the same? If not what tires are you running? I can't have this, I drive over 50 miles each way to work through a fricken wind tunnel on I-80 from Sacramento to Napa everyday. When the winter comes I am afraid it will become much worse.
I have about 1500 miles on the tires so far and they are great. Quiet, responsive, smooth but I wonder if that has something to do with it or just the light weight of the Focus.

#6 ·
Compared to my other cars (a 1986 Toyota Van and a Honda Element), this car seems very stable in crosswinds.
We took the Element over the Tampa Bay Skyway Bridge with a fully loaded roof box. I was sure we were going over into the bay a couple of times.

EDIT: I have driven on the stock Conti Pro Contacts (booooo), and I am currently on the Hankook Ventus V2 Concept.
I greatly prefer the Hankooks. They are not rated for mileage, but they seem to be wearing well after a year of use.

#7 ·
If this seems to have begun with new tires, make sure tire pressures are set to spec (35 psi all around). If that doesn't help, try rotating the tires. If rotating the tires does help, take it back to the tire place: one may be defective.

Like others, I find the Focus to be quite stable in windy conditions.

#13 ·
Yeah, I find the Focus to be just fine in high winds/cross-winds and that vehicle like the panel van are much worse owing to the large sail like sides that really catch the wind. Having driven small cars all my life I don't find the Focus a challenge at all -- great handling little car.

Brian

#14 ·
Never had a problem with high winds more than any other car.

I will say that there is no reason that tires could cause instability in the wind. Unless they have so little grip on them that you are actually slipping. Or the sidewall is so flimsy that it bends under wind. Both situations would only show up if the tire was so terrible that you would barely be able to accelerate without slipping (grip) or corner without it rolling over heavily (sidewall).

Either way it's safe to say that what you're feeling is not tire related.

#15 ·
I've been paying attention to the feel of the car lately and have found that these low rolling resistance "green" tires are just too twitchy. I find the car moving about at highway speed and having to correct and that is resulting in swerve that I just don't care for. Other than that they are quiet, smooth and over all a pretty good tire. Just maybe better suited for a Prius.

#16 ·
Well, i discovered that it was not the cross winds but the tires on the concrete grooved sections of the freeway. They tracked back and forth and combined with the cross winds, they were terrible.
Yesterday on my way home I had to take an evasive maneuver doing about 70 mph. Scary to say the least. So this morning I went back to America's Tire and they swapped them out for the Continental ControlContact Sport AS. From what I was told, they are the replacements for the discontinued Extreme Contact DWS that everyone loves so much. Well, I love them too![twothumbs]
I think the LRR P7s are just not a good choice on a short wheelbase front wheel drive car like the Focus. Camry's and the like, but not the Focus.

Now that this has become a tire review, maybe a mod can move it for me. [:D]

#22 ·
Well, i discovered that it was not the cross winds but the tires on the concrete grooved sections of the freeway. They tracked back and forth and combined with the cross winds, they were terrible.
BINGO.

LRR tires are generally stiffer. hence they would act similar to what other with low profile tires experience. they tramline all over the place with the grooves in the pavement.
honestly you learn to live with it darting all over. I mean, should always have two hands on the wheel anyways.

#19 ·
Moved it to the Wheels & Tires section for you.

Added "Tire issues" to the title for reference & to show it belongs here.

Glad it worked out for you & you've got some shoes on there you can have confidence in.

Cheers

#20 ·
Thanks for moving the thread. Yeah, I drove about 100 miles yesterday and there was some wind and mixed conditions and these tires have far better traction. The car tracks straight and does not weave like the Pirellis. The Contis don't have any more road noise and are still smooth and quiet. Very happy with them. [8D]

#23 ·
OP was fortunate to be able to get out of living with tires that didn't work well for the car & conditions.

Grooved pavement & steel deck bridges are particularly "dodgy" for motorcycles. Tires that work better for that started coming out in the 80's, and there are still versions better & worse for the problem. No different for cars, just not as large an issue as often. Uncontrollable weaving isn't fun with either, nice when you find a tire that works for you to avoid the worst of it.

Some areas it's a minor problem, with road construction (resurfacing) being the only place to deal with it regularly. If that pavement is common in the area, it's worth the MPG penalty to reduce dealing with weaving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.