upgrade to SVT Wheels/Suspension - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:46 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast
Fan#: 19780
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 shooga Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
upgrade to SVT Wheels/Suspension

I'm looking at a good way to upgrade the ride and look of my '05 ZX3. Seems like a good way is to upgrade to the SVT wheels and SVT suspension kit. I like this option because it seems pretty reasonable and gives a good combination of handling and ride.

I haven't researched tires yet, but I know there is plenty here to read about them.

Does anyone have a feeling for how many hours of labor this would be? I don't have the tools or access to a garage, so I'll pretty much have to pay a mechanic. Just wondering how much the labor will cost. Unless someone in the SF Bay Area wants to help out :-)

Does this seem like a good upgrade? Any comments? It'll work right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic
Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Someone who knows one end of a wrench from another and has extra help should be able to do the fronts in two hours (one hour per side) and the rears in one hour (half hour per side). Someone (a mechanic) who has done it before and has access to a lift and air tools should be able to do the whole job in two hours or so (no refreshment breaks). If you have to do the whole job yourself, without an extra pair of hands, using a floor jack and jack stands, a refreshment break or two, and just plain taking your time four to five hours is generous. A focus is one of the easier cars to put springs and shocks on. No special tools are required, except a spring compressor which can be bought for less than 20.00 or are often loaned by many auto parts stores for free (deposit required). I recommend that after reading the install instructions posted online and on several of the vendors sites and you feel adventurous, take that install money you would pay someone else and use it to start your tool collection (a jack, two jack stands (four preferred) an a socket, wrench, plier, and screw driver set. At a bare bones minimum do the rears yourself.

Last edited by Geezer; 04-04-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Focus Addict
Fan#: 20015
What I Drive: was SVT silver focus now black sentra ser spec v

FF Reputation: 1 shaunq Good Standing Member
I replaced my whole passenger side suspension in 2 hrs once. The reason why it took so long is i didnt have the right tools to put on the strut. that is a B@#$h if u dont got the right tools. But u can do it pretty easy on ur own if ur car oriented. Just dont tighten the wheel bearing to much when u put everything back together. It kinda messes it up i did it twice like an ideot. But dont get the svt suspension get the eibach or h n r cup kit but the svt rims are bad a$% i think. I got my old svt rims for sale by the way.
"I want to be a post whore when I grow up mommy"

Old 04-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic
Fan#: 2109
What I Drive: 2012 WRX Limited

FF Reputation: 1 P0WeRbyDuratec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i don't know how much you are looking to spend but i spent a little over a grand at North Coast Perf (sponsor at this site) and got Eibach pro springs and svt wheels and tires. It took me and my friends close to 3 hours. Amazingly enough we did the read suspension in less then a half hour. But then again i have access to a nicely equipped garage.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast
Fan#: 20845
What I Drive: Silver '05 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Formerlyforeign Good Standing Member
First, get the Chiltonís manual and burn in to keep warm, I know this time of year in the Bay area it can get cool in the afternoon. Using the instructions in it cost me over 3hrs I will never have back!

The front is easy and straight forward with a spring compressor, you don't need a compressor for the rears just remove the bolt on the lower control arm closest to the wheel, 17mm I think. And loosen or remove the rear sway bar. The rears WILL fall right out, but it might take just a little persuasion... now that will be $300, and I do take American Express.

See you can save money by doing it yourself.
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Your real name.
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.