quick help- how do you get the caliper off? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2003, 12:12 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
quick help- how do you get the caliper off?

title says it all. i removed the big 18mm bolt at the top. it looks to me like the other two bolts are covered by little rubber booties. i popped off the ends, but i can't see, to figure out exactly what size those suckers are. help!

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

never mind. got it. yeah, the old ones are shot!

Mike
Old 12-13-2003, 01:41 PM   #3
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
lol, pistons locked up?
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

looks like it. it's been making some horrendous noises when i brake from high speeds (80+). no metallic squeals, but a low groan that's so loud it drowns out the stereo at almost full blast! i also had some really close calls coming home from SLO to SD on friday. brakes locked up a couple of times in situations where they've never given me problems before. so i took the driver side off yesterday (which is actually the side that wasn't making noises) and the pad that sits in the piston is just about shot. the rotor has some lovely grooves in it. probably warped, too, but i forgot to check. that's the good side, too. no telling how bad the passenger side is, but i decided not to drive the car until i get the brakes done monday night.

i wanted to go with the EBC/Mintex deal over on BATInc, but i just can't wait that long for it to get here. so i'm going with some stuff i can get at work (kragen) for just about the same price. can't remember the brand name right now (it's nothing big like powerslot or brembo), but i'll post pics and let everyone know what i think of them. the rotors will be grooved, and the pads are supposed to be some performance semi-metallics. we'll see. push come to shove, i can always return them (one of the advantages of working at a parts store. i don't think you'd ever be able to just take some used brake parts back otherwise!)

on a side note, this car has to be one of the easiest cars to work on i've ever owned! i had those brakes in and out in about half an hour, and most of that time was just spent figuring out how to get the caliper bolts off! everything on this car is that way. i love it!

question: if i tore one of the little rubber booties that covers the caliper bolt, is that REALLY bad, or should i be OK?

Mike

PS- on a really off-topic note, i replcaed those crappy lugs that speedandstyle sent me with the REVs yesterday. they were rusted and kept sticking to the wrench, so i just said "screw it" and bought some splined Gorilla lugs yesterday. much better!
Old 12-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
i said that about the lugs a while back and picked myself up the gorilla's for 40 bucks at the local rice shop. don't worry about the little rubber boot. are you replacing the caliper?..or rebuilding it?...cost ya almost nothing to rebuild it if they make the kit...also hows movement of the caliper?
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
Old 12-14-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

you know, i was dumb enough not to check. probably should do that sometime today.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

pistons were fine. just got done with the install. man was that easy! these new rotors look awesome, and they seem to really help, too. in case anyone is wondering, the name brand on this stuff is "performance plus brakes" out of newhall, CA. website is www.performanceplusbrakes.com. these guys are a little expensive through me (kragen), but they were worthwhile after my discount. i haven't really been able to get on them too hard yet (gotta wait 300-400 miles for ythem to bed properly). i'll give a full review then. for now, a quick 15 mile jaunt around town tells me that they were definetely worth it. now i just need some braided brake lines to frim up the pedal and i should be happy.

Mike

PS- this also got rid of a lot of funky front end vibrations i had. i'm willing to bet they were mostly caused by the really warped rotors
Old 12-20-2003, 05:10 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 418
What I Drive: Pitch black FoKuZ zx3

Points 35,712, Level 100
Points: 35,712, Level: 100 Points: 35,712, Level: 100 Points: 35,712, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 fokuzsport Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
how much for 2rotors and the pads?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:38 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

sitting down?

$99.99 per rotor
$79.99 for the pads

the only thing that made it worthwhile was my 35% holiday employee discount. i could have found some other stuff cheaper online, but i didn't want to wait for it to ship. i wanted to try Raybestos' new Street Tech series pads and rotors, but they don't have any for the focus yet.

MIke
Old 12-21-2003, 02:39 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 418
What I Drive: Pitch black FoKuZ zx3

Points 35,712, Level 100
Points: 35,712, Level: 100 Points: 35,712, Level: 100 Points: 35,712, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 fokuzsport Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
well i need new rotors and pads.. i want them on by monday.. where do you suggest i go to find some or what not?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.