Anyone have firsthand experience with EBC rotors <or> another brand? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #1

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Anyone have firsthand experience with EBC rotors <or> another brand?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's got EBC brake rotors on their car. I searched some and didn't find quite what I was looking for - I'm wondering if anyone who's had them for awhile can tell me what they think of them now that they've been on the car for some time? Do the EBC "sport" rotors come standard with the dimpling and slotting or do you have to specify that?

My car will be needing brakes fairly soon I think and I like the idea of EBC rotors because it's a trusted name in brakes and I can go down the street from my house and order them at Pep Boys rather than have to search the net for a reputable dealer and pay for shipping.

Alternately, if you've been using another brand of rotor, I'd love to hear about that too. I'm mainly concerned about things like they warped easily, they grooved/damaged easily, they cracked, they didn't last very long, that kind of stuff.

Don't tell me to just buy another pair of stock Ford rotors. They suck. They are softer than butter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
You can get EBC's blank, drilled, slotted, etc. Check Bat Inc. for several styles. For the money, however, a Brembo blank can't be beat. Check Tirerack for decent prices on Brembos.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
AKA Toyotech

Fan#: 9
What I Drive: A few

FF Reputation: 1 Kicknzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
i have had blank ebc's and blank brembo's. without a doubt i would go to the brembo/hawk combo i was running on the focus. brembo's had a great cross hatch and a very well put together rotor.
1991 Ford Mustang LX/5.0
Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #4
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Points 30,865, Level 100
Points: 30,865, Level: 100 Points: 30,865, Level: 100 Points: 30,865, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I have the Power Slot Rotors and Hawk Pad combo on my car right now for almost a week. I haven't been able to really test it because the instructions say to wait between 200 - 500 miles before you start making really hard stops and such.

But i can say that the same combo on my mother 99 Taraus SE has been awesome. She was warping rotors every six months in that car and she isn't a speed demon in it. After about the 3rd rotor replacement my brother bought Hawk Pads/Power Slot rotors and she hasn't had a problem since. It's been on for about 2 years without having any problems what so ever. Plus you can stop on a dime as well

The rotors on her car haven't rusted or faded in color since the install. She also says that she can stop on a dime still. Unlike my stock focus rotors which rusted every night, i haven't had a problem with mine or hers yet. Hope this helps ya out.

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 03-30-2005, 11:31 AM   #5

Thanks everybody. I thought no one was going to reply to my thread... it made me sad.

I looked around yesterday and I wasn't seeing any sites that listed Brembo rotors for the SVT, are they actually available for the SVT? Can those be ordered by a place like Pep Boys too, or do I have to give up and order them over the internet?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I got the EBC blanks / Mintex pads from Bat. Its an okay street setup. Wouldn't quite trust them on the track though.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #7

Why just okay? Did it feel weak or something?

I have been checking numerous sites (including Brembo's official site) and I am unable to find anything that confirms a Brembo rotor is actually available for the SVT?? Unless of course you want to buy a $3,000 big brake kit.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Its more the pads than anything. They brake strong initially, but I would not trust them from many hard repeated stops like on a race track. If I had to say anything bad about the EBC rotors, its just they are really rust prone. They have been on the car for about a month, and the amount of rust is crazy. Yes, I know they all rust, but 1 month?

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17397
What I Drive: 2003 comp orange focus svt euro #34

FF Reputation: 1 fritotec Good Standing Member
ssbs.com check them out. i bought a complete package from them for my ta ebc rotors and the green pads plus calipers and brake lines, good prices and no problems with followup, going on about 2000mi and they will haul down 600+hp in a car that weights about 1000 # more than my svtf very quickly. when i am ready for brakes on the svtf i am going that way again.
#3495 of 3985, 1 of 301
euro grill
Old 03-30-2005, 04:57 PM   #10

Uhhhh... I checked out ssbs.com and I think you may not have checked it yourself recently.

Popular Categories

Skateboards
Christian singles
Airline tickets
Foreclosures
Jewish singles

Anyway what I'm thinking right now is either EBC sport rotors and Hawk HPS pads, or Brembo plain rotors and Hawk pads, but I still haven't found any proof that SVT Brembo rotors exist.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.