Making my ZX3 handle better - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14867
FF Reputation: 1 mhzjnky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Making my ZX3 handle better

I've got a '00 ZX3 ATX that I'd like to start playing with. My main concern is handeling. Out of the box the Focus is a great handeling car, but I figure it could be a bit better.

I can change my own oil, but havn't done much else car wise. Are they're some simple bolt ons that could help that I can do myself?

A whole suspension job might not be in the cards, but maybe a sway bar or something (what dose a sway bar even do??).

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 495
What I Drive: 2008 VW GTI 2006 Ford Explorer LTD

FF Reputation: 1 blackandgold Good Standing Member
You should lower the car first. Eibach is preferred here and also you might as well switch out the dampners. If you are racing I would suggest Koni's but anything else Eibach would be good. As far as sway bars, I find either Eibach or Steeda would be good in that department. Another good company for suspension pieces is H&R.
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 03-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Moved to Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension......
Old 03-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Quote:
Originally posted by blackandgold
You should lower the car first. Eibach is preferred here and also you might as well switch out the dampners. If you are racing I would suggest Koni's but anything else Eibach would be good. As far as sway bars, I find either Eibach or Steeda would be good in that department. Another good company for suspension pieces is H&R.
Just to add... Steeda Springs ARE Eibach Springs, just a rebadge so they are the same thing. The Steeda springs are the Prokit (1.5" drop).

On a daily driver, it's very hard to beat the Eibach Pro's, by far the best all around daily driver lowering spring upgrade on the market for the focus IMO.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 5736
What I Drive: 2003 White zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 16 Foci_Fosho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
my opinion, you should get the svt suspension. I could have saved hundreds if i had done that. I hear it's great for the price $275 Who can beat that?

only downside is the drop is subtle. 0.75" drop. The tad bit beefier rear sway bar helps cornering.

If you want more aggressive, try the sport-line plus package, or pro-line err pro-kit package. Both come complete with springs, shocks, struts, front and rear sway bars. Only difference between the two are the springs. Either the prokit (1.5") or sportline (2-2.2")
Old 03-29-2005, 11:23 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1790
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Zach16789 Good Standing Member
I would say go wtih svt suspension i am getting it this summer, because those cars ride good and it handles fine, and a sway bar stops body roll. If you go all out and get the eibach pro kit you get those in it with all the suspension stuff but that is about 650 bucks, and from the sounds of it you don't need a suspension setup that advance if you are just getting into it, if you are looking to have with it and you wanna lower it more than 3/4 of an inch(svt) then go with eibach or H&R those are both high quality suspension parts just make sure they are put on right mainly bump stops a lot of people forget to do that, but you should be able to do a spring swap yourself you need a spring compressor, and some simple hand tools that what i have done em with, as i say a lot get the focus handbook, for a beginner mechanic(if you are one) it is a great resource to have when working on these cars. Sorry for the long post just throwing stuff out there for ya.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
The first handling upgrade is always new tires. Good tires can change the persona of a car instantly. Second would be a quality alignment. Front and rear toe settings can dramatically change the reaction of a car to your input. Be careful here, small changes have big impacts. Leave this to someone who knows what they are doing not the corner tire shop alignment guy. Lastly would be the suspension itself. As mentioned, for the money the SVT springs, shocks, and rear sway can't be beat.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zach16789
as i say a lot get the focus handbook
Is either of these the Focus Handbook your talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I'm a pretty handy person with tools and such, but I'm new to the world of car work.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1790
What I Drive: 2000 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Zach16789 Good Standing Member
There both the exact same thing you can pick them up at your local autozone or even a book store they will run ya about 15-20 at those places. Also, he is right about the tires i noticed a good difference from the tires i got from the factory to the tires i upgraded to.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:54 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

I bought all new tires at about 40k miles, and it did seem to help a lot. They are Toyo's, not sure of the series right of. The reviews online seemed good for them and they weren't too expensive.

Do you think these will work for a while, of should I be looking for new ones? Right now they only have 7000 miles on them so it seems silly to change them already.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.