Tire Pressure - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 20032
What I Drive: 2002 liquid grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kdsatucf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tire Pressure

Hey Guys,

New to the site and enjoy it tremendously.

I recently took my 2002 ZX3 in for service. Tires were making a thumping noise in the rear, at low speeds and Ford chalked it up to a flat spot on the rear.

Anyway, the technician put about 40 psi in the tires, isn''t that way to high? Especially in Florida weather? He said you can put that much in low profile tires, but I am doubting 42 can be good for the tires. I usually put 32 in all 4? The door says 34.

Thoughts or comments? What kind of pressure should be in these tires? Does it make a diffeence that I'm in warm Florida?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 20
What I Drive: 96 Ranger SC... Got Low Range?

FF Reputation: 2 railman Good Standing Member
what size are your tires?

as for me, i have 215/45/17's and run 45psi ( and i'm in Central Florida )

l8r, John
Old 03-14-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 17177
What I Drive: 2000 Sonic Blue ZX3, 1993 Civic B16A swap

FF Reputation: 1 dispense05 Good Standing Member
low pro's are a much much stronger tire. you can put up to 90 psi just to set the bead. the sidewall is so small it takes a lot to force it out. the tag on the door refers to normal tires, which you should never set a bead at over 40 psi. but you should be fine, i run 34 front 36 rear because it can cause the back end to slide before the front which, in my opinion, is easier to control. i hate the feeling of the front floating through a turn, so i counter it in that way.

hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

Points 181,499, Level 100
Points: 181,499, Level: 100 Points: 181,499, Level: 100 Points: 181,499, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Moved to Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension......
Old 03-14-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 20032
What I Drive: 2002 liquid grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 kdsatucf Good Standing Member
I have the original Firehawks on the cars, which are 205/50/16s
On the tire it says a max of 44 psi.
So you think 42-44 running in all four tires is on target?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
You should always start with the manufacturers suggested tire pressure. You can go as high as the max indicated on the sidewall of the tire. This number represents the pressure needed to acheive maximum load capacity which you rarely will ever need for a car...trucks are, however, a different matter. Its ok to experiment between these two numbers. For autocrossing its not unusual to increase the tire pressure 5 to 10 lbs per tire to get the best performance. It takes a lot of experimentation. Autocross guys generally use two methods. The first and most accurate is a pyrometer which is used to take temperature measurements across the face (both edges and center) of the tire. They adjust the pressure until they get even temps. The poor mans method is to use chalk or white shoe polish on the sidewall starting at the tread. If the sidewall is soft some chalk or polish will be worn away on turns. The idea is to adjust the pressure until just minimal wear of the chalk mark or polish occurs. A good driver will record this hot/cold PSI, road surface temp and air temp so it can be easily duplicated in the future. While you could drive these pressures on the street they may be very uncomfortable.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4610
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus ZX3 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Noodles84 Good Standing Member
depends on the tire what is your max psi rating. Hell man i run mine at 30 and 32...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.