Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What is your favorite tire brand?

132K views 397 replies 331 participants last post by  Fazerdude 
#1 ·
What is your favorite tire brand?

#131 ·
Got a set of the Hankook Optimo H418s (205-50-16)

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/produ...=12&CatID=4 today at Pep Boys to replace those Factory Firestone Firehawks which were starting to dry rot on the 2001 ZX3. They only had 23,000 on them.

So far they seem like good tires and have a softer ride which I wanted. We might get some rain this weekend in the ABQ area so might get to see how they work on wet roads. $401 is the most I have ever paid for 4 tires, (tax, balancing, road hazard, etc) but they are 60,000 mile tires so maybe that is not too bad.

Terry

#133 ·
for performance per dollar, you can't beat Falken. If you have money to burn Michelin is the way to go.

#140 ·
My car came with Pirelli P6 tires... Im probably switching to Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S All season tires. I can get them for $138 each. Its within my $600 price budget for tires, and Ive heard the performance and handling are really good at high speeds in wet and dry conditions, the bad thing about it is they dont do so well in the snow, but it never snows where Im from. Plus I think it has slower tread wear than the ones I have now. So thats always a plus. I used to like to slam on my brakes alot and try to leave a long line and scare the hell out of people around me with my old car. I havent tryed it yet with my focus. I think Ill give it a shot, so I can have a good reason to change my tires sooner. I might as well throw in some new breaks, pads and wheels afterwards too... Thats how I do things, If I want to change something thats brand new, I break it first, then I dont feel guilty buying something newer and better. Because obviously the old part was cheaply made. Otherwise I couldnt have broken it so easily.....[thumb]

#141 ·
I bought the Wanli's that were at Les Schwab, they were what i could afford at the time. they actually have pretty good perforance, but the wet traction is not there

#144 ·
falken

i have had quite a few different brands and falken tires seem to work the best for me, all though i did not like the ziex-512's on my nissan. nitto's wore out to fast and the yokos screamed around the corners. i my have to BFG a look next time but so far falken's have not let me down.

#146 ·
General

Just kidding.

Pirelli

#147 ·
2003zx3 said:
my focus came with pirelli p-6`s i haven`t had the car very long but they ride and handle good. anybody else have these tires? what do you think of them?
Our '05 also came with Pirelli P6 tires, and so far so good. When taking sweeper curves on the highway in the rain these tires seem to have enough "bite" to prevent hydroplaning, which was something that our '01 ZX3 was occasionally plagued with. We ran nothing but Firehawks on that car. Those tires did surprisingly well on snow and ice, but driving on purely rainslicked roads was always a dicey proposition.

The only thing about the Pirelli tires I've noticed so far is that while driving with windows down there's a considerable amount of hum/road noise coming up from the treads. I'm curious to see just how well these tires will handle a Missouri Winter....

Bob

#151 ·
I don't have a favorite brand, but will post my opinion on two different tires that I've tried out on a 2002 SVT focus:

1. Stock Contis
2. Goodyear Eagle F1

I've ordered the BFG KD NT and may post an opinion someday, if I have any meaningful to report.

IMO, the dry grip on the stock Conti's was better than the F1's. Although it was a small difference, it was enough to notice. BTW, this was back to back testing at Buttonwillow. Back to back tests weren't done at Laguna Seca, Sears and Thunderhill although both tires were driven on those tracks. No problems occurred with either brand and there wasn't unusual or excessive wear.

For around town driving, the dry grip for both tires is good enough.

Wet traction is another story. The F1's are far better.

Wear and longevity on both was almost identicle. Both tires saw the same amount of track time and mileage and ended up lasting the same amount of mileage.

The tire noise on the Contis was initially greater than the F1's. It wasn't much, but enough to notice. This was also done back to back on the streets on a few occasions. Over time though, the F1's became noisier with wear, even though the wear pattern was normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.