Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Winter Tires.....Heck Yeah

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Neptune15 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got 4 steel 16" 12 focus wheels from the boneyard and then went and go a brand new set of hankook ipike w409s mounted to them. Bring on the snow!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

...oh, and don't by pass the swear filter.[smackbum]

#5 ·
Oh Snap!!! Sorry and thank you sir or maam! May I have another...

Wow, I'm originally from Western PA, and never had use for winter tires that aggressive. But good luck, let us know how they work for you. And what size are they?
I live 10 miles from the highest point in PA. Plus I drive through MD and WV to get to work so when it decides to snow, it will snow. They are the stock size, 215/55/r16's on stock 2012 16" stock steel wheels. Im probably in the whole set 700 and some change but you can write off the wheels because they will be free after I would have switched summer to winter tires on the stock wheels probably 4 times. They were 65 bucks a wheel with the TPMS. Plus my stock aluminum wheels will be saved the beating from shale and salt. I pikes are comparable to blizzaks but more affordable. Ive been using them since they came out on FWD work vehicles. They really perform well in snow and ice. The directional tread cleans itself very well.

#6 ·
I haven't bought a real set of snow tires ever (Never had them on my AWD Eclipse and no need on my 4Runner) so I'm expecting big things from my Hankooks. Let us know how your's do once you get them on the white stuff.

#9 ·
Just put them on today. Weve had them on 2 other cars and they go great. Ill probably get to try them out tomorrow night. They are calling for a foot here. These are Hankook IPike W409's. They make a few different kinds.

I love how much room these things have in the hatch. I fit all 4 16" wheels and tires in the hatch standing up.

#10 ·
I have the exact same set of tires. Hankook Ipike's but the size is 195/60/15. Got them used for just over $200. They were basically in brand new shape, still made the new squeaky tire noise when I first had them on the road!

There was one snowy day here where I got a chance to test them. These tires will make you angry, as you stick to the bumper of the driver ahead, and cuss under your breath at their inferior traction.

They handle the dry pavement pretty poorly though, but this is my first time using winter tires so I didn't know what to expect. They are really forgiving. You can break traction on command. Cool tread pattern, too!

#13 ·
Mine too. FYI. If anyone is looking for a place to store your wife, GF, or significant other's Christmas gifts.... put them between the wheels in the stack. My wife doesnt even think to look there and she loves to try and ruin christmas. It's worked 2 years in a row for me so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.