Focus Fanatics Forum banner

M-3000-ZX3A and 2004 SVT ZX5 ride height is too tall after install

5K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  alteredego 
#1 ·
Ok, just had a shop install the kit M-3000-ZX3A and now my car looks to be about an inch or more too tall all the way around.

With the original setup when I pushed down on the front of the car I could not get much movement now it is easy to push down on the car and it moves a good amount. Driving the car also feels like a softer ride not stiff and rigid as before.

I have owned this car since 2004 it has 47K mile on it I had a blown front right strut and was suggested to get all 4 done since the car was 8 years old. I am not sure this kit is the factory setup for my car it looks and feels like a stock focus now. Can anyone help me identify my old parts to compare to the new parts? Did they make a change on the 2004 SVT model?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

#2 ·
No change between 2002 and 2004 SVT's suspension wise. Are you sure they used genuine Ford Racing SVT parts? Did they do the final torqueing while the suspension was drooping. This is a very common occurance and causes bushings to bind up and the car ends up sitting higher until everything settles (which can take some time).

#3 ·
I would agree with Geezer here (I usually do). That's the correct part number for the kit, so the problem is either in whether or not that's actually what you got, or the shop messed up the install. There's a break-in period where the springs will settle a little bit, but that shouldn't make the whole thing softer.

#4 ·
Howdy

I got the parts from Tousley Ford and they were in a big white Ford Racing box with the correct part number on the outside of the box.

Are there any individual part numbers that I can look for on the struts and springs to validate what I had versus what I have now?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

#9 ·
howdy

How can I tell what I have? Steve said my old spring were sagging that's why it looks different. I have photos from when I bought it new and over the years I cannot see any big changes. Also I could never get a regular floor jack under the car I had to buy a low profile racing jack but now I can slide my suv 3 ton jack under it. After driving it more it is no where near as stiff quick lane changed and tight turns the car/body roll is so much worse and not tight like before.

#12 ·
Factory parts that were pulled
Motorcraft
03 11 08a
H1XPA
2M5V-18080-BA
98 A0-5K570-AH

Motorcraft
03 02 27 b
H1XPA
2M5V-18k001-B

Springs have yellow red side by side in middle of rear and two yellow one red on the front the red at base then yellow going up next two coils

#13 ·
The lack of body roll could have been from the car sagging a bit, less travel to lean on? I know my SVT is lower than my ZX3 was with the same suspension (SVT kit). The front looks real low but the back is just as high as any other SVT I've seen. It probably was tighten with the suspension drooping. It may just need time to settle also. You could always swap the springs out with your old ones and keep the new shocks and struts?

#20 ·
FWIW - I have an '04 ZTS with the same '04 wheels & suspension kit installed.

I just re-measured the distance from tire to fender lip as you did in the pictures, and it matches exactly. 2" at the front, and 2.5" at the rear.

Hope that helps, it looks to me like the proper "new" ride height. The "drop" I got from stock suspension to SVT kit was about .5".

#21 ·
Isn't that the part number for the standard Focus suspension and NOT SVT bits?

Certainly doesn't look like an SVT ride height. The changes you describe are exactly what a standard suspension would feel like when hopping out of an SVT...

SVT suspension always had that nice euro front to rear rake...yours does not. It looks like a standard car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.