Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: Reset TPMS with no learning tool

396K views 55 replies 41 participants last post by  Juicedz 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!

Mod Edit:
If the above does not work try this (2017+)
I had an issue with the sequence to get into the TPMS training mode (hitting the hazard light button 6 times) in the first post not working on my focus.

I did find a method that worked, I'm not sure what the reason behind it is, did they change it for the newer model years? I have the 1.0L manual, without push button start.

Here's how I did it:

1. Starting with the ignition Off, press and release the brake pedal.

2. Turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position.

3. Press the brake pedal again for about 2 seconds and release.

4. Turn the ignition back to off, then turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position again.

If done correctly the car should honk and you can proceed the same way as the directions in the original post.

Maybe this will help someone else who is having trouble getting into the actual training mode.

See less See more
#33 ·
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

Enjoy!
I have a 2012 Focus. I was able to get in the program mode quite easily but could not get the first step (LF tire) completed. I made sure all the tires were at the correct pressure (35 psi) before I started. I bled the tire almost flat with no results. I did this seveal times included running the car around the block to hopefully activate the sensors.

#34 ·
I have a 2012 Focus. I was able to get in the program mode quite easily but could not get the first step (LF tire) completed. I made sure all the tires were at the correct pressure (35 psi) before I started. I bled the tire almost flat with no results. I did this seveal times included running the car around the block to hopefully activate the sensors.

#35 ·
Just installed 4 new Conti Extreme Winter Contact tires on new steel wheels with new Ford TPMS sensors. Low tire light came on 52 miles later. Using the TPMS-19 TPMS tool and having the car in the learning mode did not work to train the system. Trying the other way by letting air out did not work either. I ended up at the Ford dealer and they put the car in train mode used a bigger TPMS tool, and voila each tire sensor checked in ok. The technician then took my TPMS-19 trigger tool and I put the car in training mode and it worked this time. The mx tech said they are seeing some of the new TPMS sensors that need to be initialized the first time with the tool he used then they work fine with the little TPMS-19 trigger we bought. $30 and 30 minutes from driving in to leaving. I tried 3 times before going to the dealer, but nothing worked. Hope this sets it up for the remainder of the times we'll be swapping tires in spring and winter.

#40 ·
Bumping this one as it hasn't been answered yet.

I've seen varied answers, from just using them to programming by various methods. Do you have a light on for an unknown reason or have wheels sensors been changed?

#38 ·
To those saying the sensors "sleep" when not in use I have seen otherwise. My factory wheels are stacked up behind where I park my car every night. No light every morning but about 20 miles later it's on. Stays on until I park in my driveway again. Those wheels haven't moved in over 4 months...

This post has been deleted
#43 ·
#46 ·
I had an issue with the sequence to get into the TPMS training mode (hitting the hazard light button 6 times) in the first post not working on my focus.

I did find a method that worked, I'm not sure what the reason behind it is, did they change it for the newer model years? I have the 1.0L manual, without push button start.

Here's how I did it:

4. Turn the ignition back to off, then turn the ignition from Off to On 3 times, ending in the On position again.

If done correctly the car should honk and you can proceed the same way as the directions in the original post.

Maybe this will help someone else who is having trouble getting into the actual training mode.

#50 · (Edited)
I have the tool to do this, which method gets the sequence to have horn start on 2016.
This method worked.

#52 ·
You might have to get the garage door opener looking tool

You put the car in training, hold tool by valve stem, press button, it wakes the sensor and causes it to broadcast it's I'd, move to next time

It may be different though, I won't get to see a new focus unless it's imported somehow...

#53 ·

Enjoy!

Mod Edit:
If the above does not work try this (2017+)

#54 ·
my son has a 2017 Ford Focus SE with approx 18,000 miles - the Tire Pressure Sensor Fault is lit up on his dash board (have not gotten new tires). We tried both methods above and horn didn't go. His tires are fine and are holding good pressure - is it ok to drive with this sensor notification on?

#56 ·
The method of pressing the hazards 6 times works to bring up the “Train left front tire” but like so many others I cannot get past that tire after attempting to let air out. Sounds like a method that seems to good to be true, at least without the tool.
My issue came after attempting to put my summer wheels back on. My winter wheels (bought used) had tpms sensors installed and required no programming. However, after 6 months of storage I swapped the summer wheels back on and instantly got a TPMS indication. Local shops want anywhere from $25-$50 to reset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.