2007 Focus Front End Rattle/Clunk Over Bumps - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 88729
What I Drive: 2007 Focus SES ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 bforbushx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2007 Focus Front End Rattle/Clunk Over Bumps

Hey guys, haven't been here for a while. I bought an '07 Focus last week with 74k on it and i'm loving it so far. It's the SES model and all the options are fantastic. I did the brakes yesterday, as well as the sway bar links on both sides, but there is a noise that is lingering that is kind of worrisome.

Over bumps of pretty much any kind under 40 MPH or so, there is a sort of rattle/clunk noise coming from the front end. It's not a high pitched noise, but more of a deeper clunk/rattle. At higher speeds road noise either drowns it out or it just isn't quite as loud, though the car in general is sort of loud over bumps.

I'm coming from a 4x4 Ranger that took bumps like a champ, so i'm hoping that the noise is normal, but i'm not sure. It just sounds a little too loud to be normal for a car. The steering is very tight, there is no noise while turning (unless theres a bump), no noise while turning the wheel back and forth, no noise jumping on the car to make the suspension move. I shook the tires when it was jacked up and there was no play that I could feel.

I'm stumped. Any ideas? Do these cars just make a little noise on bumps or is there some hidden issue on mine?

Thanks guys! Happy to be back in the focus world, just want to get mine 100% so I can start making some trips in it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Sounds like a classic sway bar end link issue. When they wear they start to clunk. This is a pretty common problem and they do need periodic replacement. Duralast units from Autozone are pretty good replacement units and are fairly economical compared to others. Very easy to replace yourself (two nuts and bolts per side).
Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

That's what I thought as well, but I replaced the links on both sides and though that did eliminate a different noise, this rattle/clunk is still present. I figured that there must be a bad ball joint (weird for 74k) or tie rod or something but theres no play in the steering wheel or if I grab the tire when it's off the ground.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Check the motor mounts. The passenger side one has given some FF members problems.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 15,429, Level 80
Points: 15,429, Level: 80 Points: 15,429, Level: 80 Points: 15,429, Level: 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
just because you dont feel anything funky doesnt mean you dont have bad ball joints. visually check them. my ball joints are completely FUBAR right now and i cant feel it at all but i also have a strange rattle/clunk and i suspect that is the reason why
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I jacked the car up again and still found nothing loose or worn. So I gave in and took it to a shop and they told me that evrything in the front end is tight, but the upper shock mount might be loose. We replaced those and the noise is still there, but the shop insists that it's normal. I don't know if I'm being too picky for it being a small car, but noise over bumps just doesn't seem normal to me.

Any specific way I should look for motor mounts? The engine doesn't really vibrate any worse than most 4 cylinder cars and there isn't any noise when revving it.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Any more opinions?

Shop wasted my money with the strut mount deal. They said everything is now tight, and they said the motor mounts are good but I have no way to be sure. Starting to look into things that may not be suspension related, but instead just something rattling loudly somewhere.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 15,429, Level 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
i suppose a CV axle could make a rattling racket if it were worn out. in my experience a bad CV joint makes more of a sharp pop and crack sound than a rattle.

also check that the actual sway bar itself is centered up like its supposed to be and that the sway bar bushings (not the end links) are in good shape. i didnt get mine lined up right once and it would tap the underside of the car sometimes and i bet it would probably rattle around some if the bushings were gone. i really cannot think of anything else it could be right off hand.
Quote:
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Wouldn't the CV joint be clicking though and be more throttle/turn related rather than just over bumps?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 15,429, Level 80
Level Up 16% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
yes but like i said im pretty much out of ideas. the CV axle is a bit of a stretch i think but i suppose its possible.
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.