Focus Fanatics Forum banner

"Winterize" brake rotors.

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  sbc17 
#1 ·
My SVT is gonna be sitting for a couple months this winter and I need to know how to "prep" the rotors. I am thinking that 4 months of rust will destroy them and I don't want to deal that. Is there a spray or a wax or something that I can use to seal them and prevent the surface rust? I know oils would ruin the pads and of course that is a unwanted outcome as well.

Let me know guys.

-sbc

#2 ·
Park the car indoors of put a car cover over it. Even uncovered outdoors, I really don't think you'll have any problems with rust.

That said, one idea may be plastidip. You can spray it on, and when your ready to drive again, it can be pealed right back off without any residue leftover.

#3 ·
You really think there won't be much rust? Call me crazy but it seems a little counterintuitive. I dunno maybe it's just me being paranoid. Lol
I never thought about plastidip. Tho That's probably a really good idea.

-sbc

#4 ·
Yeah, I really don't think it will be an issue, but I have been proven wrong before. Just make sure there is no moister between the rotor and pads when you park the car. That's typically where the issues arise.

But remember, it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

#6 ·
I can't see there being any significant damage to a set of rotors over a few months of Michigan winter...it will be very dry, so not exactly a haven for rust. My dad's Camaro sits throughout most the year (very rarely driven) and the rotors never even rust. Unless it's being stored outside I just don't see it being an issue.

If anything, put a light coat of oil on the rotors, then wash off with brake cleaner before you drive. Plastidip sounds like a real pain in the ass.

#9 ·
I would follow the "just don't worry about it advice."

But here is an idea some might think sounds crazy. Take a rag and rub some old engine oil on the surfaces. Now, I've had my cars oil sprayed for rust protection many of times. Sometimes a lot of over spray gets on the brakes. Its really no big deal. A couple firm stops and its wiped away without even being noticeable after. Just make sure you do it first chance you get and not when you're rushing up toward stopped traffic.

Despite what some belligerent ******** have told me, oil is a rust inhibitor.

#10 ·
Your brakes will be fine. Yes they will get a coating of rust on them, and yes it will come right off after the first few stops out of storage. All this talk of putting this or that on your rotors is just plain silliness.

#13 ·
Wow, a lot more response than I thought I was gonna get. Lol
Thanks guys. I just wasn't sure if 5 months of surface rust would ruin my rotors. Looks like am gonna leave them alone.

-sbc

#14 ·
If the car is parked in a garage I wouldn't worry about it. If outdoors (exposed) and to keep your conscience feeling a little better, I guess you could just cover the tires by slitting some heavy duty (leaf and outdoor debris) garbage bags (and maybe a little duct tape or bungee cords to hold the bag in place).

#15 ·
Suggestions of spraying paint, latex or oil on a braking surface..... Holy God help us all. This is why private people shouldn't be allowed to work on certain systems...like brakes!

I don't care how many times you've gotten away with it. I've gotten away with stupid shit too but that doesn't mean it wasn't stupid dangerous shit. Brakes work by friction. Any foreign material reduces this friction. You share the road with other people. Mmmkay?

#21 ·
Slap some snow tires on it and have some fun! That car was the best car I've ever owned in the winter... as long as you have a good set of wheels tires. If I remember correctly, I ran Dunlop Graspic in the stock size on the original rims, then stock size summer tires on chrome SVT rims. (See pictures in my profile.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.