Alot of questions! New owner here - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101260
What I Drive: 2003 White (for now) ZX5 Non-SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Gobliz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wink Alot of questions! New owner here

First things first.
New owner of a 2003 Zetec Zx5 non-SVT.
Sitting on stock shocks/struts (i think)
stock 15's

Questions:
1) What do stock SVT rims look like?
2) What options do I have for changing my rims/tires for better handling/mpg?
3) I don't understand fitment. wtf is fitment? I want the car to sit low and wide like a GTI.

Any help is appreciated, any hate is unwanted. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
First things first, welcome to Focus Fanatics! Lemme see if I can help.

1) There are three different sets of stock SVT wheels. They are affectionately referred to as SVT 5-spokes, SVT 6-spokes, and EAPs (European Appearance Package). See if you can figure out which is which...

2) As far as wheels to improve handling and mpg, it's all about weight. You can go the expensive way and get really light OZ or Sparco wheels, or you can go the less expensive way with Rota, Motegi, or Kazera wheels. The best selection of Rota wheels I've found is at 18racing.com, and tirerack.com has everything else. Be warned, you'll be hard-pressed to find any Rotas other than Slip Streams in a 4x108.

3) Fitment is generally how the wheels fit the care. Sitting low has nothing to do with the wheels. There are all kinds of stickied threads about suspension setups. You can get pretty low in the Focus with at least a 2" drop, but you'll need closer to 3" from coilovers to get the dumped Euro look you want. As far as wheels for fitment, 40 to 49 mm offset on a 7-7.5" wheel is ideal for the Focus. The wider the wheel and the lower the offset (closer to 0), the more "stance" you'll have. Anything wider than 7.5 or 8 inches is going to have a hard time fitting. I would suggest a 7.5" wide wheel with a 40 mm offset, personally.

Make sure to look through the showroom and wheel/suspension threads for lots of pictures of various setups until you find something you like. Have fun!

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Focus Addict

I like the 6 spoke. What is the size of them and what tire size for them? Will they bolt right on to my (assumed) stock height zx5?
As for fitment I still don't understand. I understand lowering the car. But I don't understand offset. Do I just use spacers and pick a certain width?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Love CA / Hate CARB

Those are a 17x7 wheel with a +45mm offset. Basically, offset means how far from the centerline of the wheel the hub is. Positive offset means it's closer to the face of the wheel. This page is full of everything you ever need to know about wheels.

Stock SVT wheels, like all 4x108 Focus wheels, will bolt right up to your car fine, but won't give you the type of stance you're looking for. You're going to need 15 or 20 mm wheel spacers for that. With spacers that big you're going to need extended wheel lugs, and you'll also be putting extra stress on the suspension by pushing the wheels out that far. Not to mention the fact that it's going to look funny with wheels poking out like that at stock ride height.

As far as tire size goes, 205/45/R17 is recommended, but a lot of people run 215/45/R17 to get some more rubber.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Focus Addict

my tib runs stock 215/45R17's so that would be preferred. can stock suspension handle the spacers? how much would those spacers run me? what does 4x108 mean?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 8,252, Level 61
Points: 8,252, Level: 61 Points: 8,252, Level: 61 Points: 8,252, Level: 61
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 26 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobliz View Post
I like the 6 spoke. What is the size of them and what tire size for them? Will they bolt right on to my (assumed) stock height zx5?
As for fitment I still don't understand. I understand lowering the car. But I don't understand offset. Do I just use spacers and pick a certain width?
Those are also the heaviest of the SVT wheels too (24lbs), so do expect a decrease in mpg when going from a 15" wheel to those. Also, all of the above SVT wheels would have come from ford with 215.45/17 tires. a 205.45/17 would also work just fine.

Our cars typically have a positive offset 40-50mm

click that picture for more info on wheel/tire fitment.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
Focus Addict

I could always go RPF01's :P
but I don't wanna drop a grand on my gf's ride while my tibby is still sitting on stock rims.
so those SVT 6 spoke are heavier than the stock 8 double spoke 15's?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Love CA / Hate CARB

I have no problem helping out, but you're asking a lot of questions that are answered in the stickied threads and links I referred to earlier.

Yes, the stock suspension can handle them, but keep in mind that you'll be pushing it a little more than it's used to. fswerks.com sells H&R spacers and they are $120 a pair for 15 mm. Like I said, though, you'll also need extended wheel lugs.

4x108 is the 00-11 Focus bolt pattern. It's also known as 4x4.25, since 4.25 inches is 108 mm. It kind of bites you in the butt, because most 4-lug cars are either 4x100 or 4x114 (4x4.5). Enkei doesn't make an RPF01 in 4x108, so good luck. The page I sent you explains how bolt pattern is measured.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Well thanks for the help, I'll read those threads u sent me to

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.