Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Official Winter Tires Thread: Please post any winter questions here!

74K views 202 replies 82 participants last post by  Mazdamike0831 
#1 · (Edited)
So, first off let's learn or relearn the facts about winter tires.

How do winter tires work?

Here are a few pictures to illustrate the mechanics involved in winter traction.

If you look closely at a road surface you can tell that it is really not that smooth as represented by the model in this picture:

With the high grip rubber compound used in your summer performance tires the contact area conforms to the irregular surface of the road:

That amount of contact can generate a tremendous amount of traction in the summer time but what if the road in snow covered?

That brings us to the question, what makes a tire a good winter tire? The answer is a three part puzzle and without all three parts traction will be compromised.

Let's look at the first part of the puzzle; tread design.

This picture shows a winter tire tread design which, as you can clearly see, utilizes a large number of sipes:

When the road gets snow covered the tire is no longer able to conform to the surface.

The siping allows the tread elements to flex under stress create aggressive "biting edges" when braking, cornering or accelerating.

Part two of our three piece traction puzzle is tread depth.

While deep snow and ice-covered roads are two of the most challenging conditions North American drivers will face, tire developments during the last decade have noticeably advanced wintertime mobility. The technological revolution of dedicated winter tires for drivers in the snowbelt, and the continuing evolution of all-season tires for drivers living on its periphery characteristically offer more grip in snow and on ice than ever before.

However the basics of delivering traction and handling in snow and on ice remain unchanged. Tires must combine three fundamental features to deliver good wintertime performance, including an appropriate tread design, pliable tread compound and sufficient tread depth. If any one of these fundamental features is absent then the other two, regardless of their ability, cannot deliver the desired results. Since engineers can develop cutting-edge tread designs and chemists can develop advanced rubber compounds, it is often the remaining tread depth that is the variable in determining wintertime performance.

In most parts of the world, tires are considered to be legally worn out when they reach "2/32" (approximately 1.6mm) of remaining tread depth. U.S. law requires tires to have easy-to-see Tread Wear Indicator bars running from one side of their tread design to the other when the tire's tread has worn down to the minimum legal limit of 2/32 inch.

However in spite of the legal minimums, Tire Rack recommends that drivers expecting to experience wet conditions consider replacing their tires when they reach 4/32" of remaining tread depth. Tire Rack's tests have shown how shallow treads reduce wet braking traction and increase stopping distances. (See this video).

Tire Rack also recommends that drivers expecting to encounter snow-covered roads consider replacing their tires when they reach approximately 6/32" of remaining tread depth to maintain good mobility. Tires need more tread depth in wintry conditions to compress snow in their grooves and release it as they roll. If there isn't sufficient tread depth, the "bites" of snow that can be processed on each tire revolution will be reduced to "nibbles," and the vehicle's traction and mobility in snow will be reduced.

The third and final part of the puzzle is the rubber compound used. Rubber compounds vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer but, the task is the same so, you will see similarities between the products. They all typically use compounds which utilize materials designed to remain flexible at cold temps in addition to traction enhancements from silica and other materials which add more bite on ice.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for the next step ... types of winter tires

There are basically three different types of winter tires

#1.) Performance Winter

You want enhanced dry road handling from your winter tires and are willing to trade some snow and ice traction to get it.

Meeting severe snow service requirements and branded with the "Snowflake-on-the-Mountain" symbol, these are higher speed rated tires that are designed to suit winter driving on European highways. They are available in many of the low profile sizes used as Original Equipment on sporty imported and domestic cars. Due to their unique designs these tires must be installed in sets of four.

#2.) Studless Ice and Snow

You want to maximize snow and ice traction from your winter tires without the inconvenience of using winter tire studs.

Meeting severe snow service requirements and branded with the "Snowflake-on-the-Mountain" symbol, these tires feature the latest in tread compound technology to provide winter traction without the inconvenience of tire studs. They trade a little handling for excellent ice and snow traction. Due to their unique tread compounds these tires must be installed in sets of four.

#3.) Studdable Winter

You want the traditional security of studded winter tires for enhanced traction on ice.

Meeting severe snow service requirements and branded with the "Snowflake-on-the-Mountain" symbol, these tires feature traditional snow tire tread compounds and studdable tread designs for good snow and ice traction. Due to their unique designs these tires must be used in sets of four. Use of studded tires is often prohibited or restricted. Check with local authorities to confirm legality. Keep in mind that these can be used without studs if desired.

But Do I Really Need Winter Tires?

The primary concern that our customers express is that they don't want to get "stuck" in the snow (or in the ditch) during the winter.

While in cities like Atlantic City, Memphis and Seattle located at the edge of the snow belt, relatively new All-Season tires will probably work just fine. But the odds change as you move further into the snow belt or the All-Season tires have a few years of wear on them. And who wants to gamble...especially when their collision deductible and future insurance premiums are on the table.

We all know that tires are a compromise. One tire can't be the fastest on the track, most controllable in the snow, and longest wearing. The Ultra High Performance tire that grips the track with tread temperatures of 200° is incompetent as its tread compound becomes like "hard plastic" at below 32°. Today's 80,000-mile tires require tread designs and compounds that maximize long, even wear... not winter traction. And while many of today's all-season tires (Original Equipment, touring and performance) address some of these issues, they still emphasize longer wear, a quieter ride or greater performance...not winter traction.

Only winter tires are designed to excel in the colder temperatures, slush, snow and ice that many parts of the country experience for three or more months a year.

It's also important to note that the recent advancements in electronic driver aids, such as ABS and traction control don't provide more traction. They only help prevent drivers from over braking or overpowering the available traction of their tires. The only thing the driver can do to increase traction...to actually get more grip and control... is install better tires.

As in the past, there are 'general use' recommended packages for each model car to be found at our Winter category but, if you would like to discuss other options for your specific need please don't hesitate to give me a call at 800-428-8355 ext. 788 or drop me an e-mail.

You can also post in this thread but please supply the following information ....

Year:
Make:
Model:

and I will respond directly to your post.

I will also be adding to this thread periodically so check back often.

Links to use to get the forum credit for your order:
- Tires
- Wheels
- Winter
- Brakes
- Suspension

See less See more
#182 ·
I have HP 18"'s so I got a used set of 2012 Fusion 17" wheels with stock low-mileage Michelin Energy's ASR's.Got a few hundred miles on them no issues.Plan on putting Nokians on them once I wear them down.I'll use my Jeep for anything more than a couple inches of snow till then.

#181 ·
The larger wheels in the handling package changed the steering rack to give you a larger turn radius avoiding chances of rubbing fender wells, didn't increase the brake sizes.

ST models have to stick with 17's on the recent ones for larger brakes on them.

Tire Rack has good listing for what will fit, useful even if you make a different choice.

#185 ·
How many tires?

Hi, all,

I have a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium (automatic). I've been researching tire options for the winter, because of the bad winter we had last year (in Ohio); I've never purchased snow tires for a car before and I understand the stock tires on the Focus won't cut it in the winter.

My question is this: Is it okay to just do the two front tires? I called my Ford dealership's service department and asked them their recommendation (since I was told by my dad that FWD cars really just need the front tires only) and they said I could do just the two front ones. I have read here and elsewhere and it seems there are mixed conclusions. (I drive highway/city.)

Also, the tire that I am looking at is the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season. It seems to get good reviews, from my research, but just to be on the safe side--has anybody had any problems with them?

Thanks for any input you can give!

#188 ·
Hi, all,

I have a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium (automatic). I've been researching tire options for the winter, because of the bad winter we had last year (in Ohio); I've never purchased snow tires for a car before and I understand the stock tires on the Focus won't cut it in the winter.

My question is this: Is it okay to just do the two front tires? I called my Ford dealership's service department and asked them their recommendation (since I was told by my dad that FWD cars really just need the front tires only) and they said I could do just the two front ones. I have read here and elsewhere and it seems there are mixed conclusions. (I drive highway/city.)

Also, the tire that I am looking at is the Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season. It seems to get good reviews, from my research, but just to be on the safe side--has anybody had any problems with them?

Thanks for any input you can give!
Don't do 2. U need all 4.
I suspect you asked for Ford dealership about 18" tires. However for the cost of 18" snow tires u could get a set of 15" steel wheels and snow tires. Makes it much easier to swap seasonally.

#186 ·
NO. You can't only use two. Well, you can, but the car will behave very poorly in slick conditions.

While fronts only will help you get going and help you stop, they will cause the rear end to slide considerably, especially under hard braking and turns. You will get a ton of oversteer with such a setup. In my opinion, it's more dangerous then just running regular tires, as the car becomes rather unpredictable.

#187 ·
Also, it seems the tires you are looking at are not winter tires, but all seasons. If all tires are all seasons (even different brands) you are usually ok. You just want all the tires to offer similar grip characteristics, otherwise it will slide around a lot.

#189 ·
Krista - Dad isn't nuts, he's just remembering older FWD cars that understeered so badly that having snows on front & all seasons on the back made handling more normal in the snow - the back still had adequate traction compared to the front.

That's not common now, and it was always something that would need careful evaluation by someone experienced in Winter driving - with a chance of guessing wrong & ending up tail first in a snowbank if conditions gave more traction in front than in the rear.

It's always best to have good traction at both ends, even RWD vehicles do better when they can stop & turn with snows on the front as well as the rear.

FWD can be very scary when the rear doesn't have good traction and it's slippery enough that just trying to slow down is difficult to do without the car spinning.

#190 ·
Thank you!

I just want to say thank you all for your responses! You've given me a lot to chew on here. (To be clear, I just asked Ford if I'm buying tires for the winter, should I get 2 or 4--I deliberately kept my question vague, as I wanted to see what would be their recommendation for how to prepare for the season.) I really appreciate your responses!

#191 ·
I have decided to buy snow tires for my 2002 Focus ZTW with Advance Trac.
Anyone have any opinions on the General Altimax Arctic or the Continental Extreme Winter Contact? Besides the fact that both names are too long? I will be using 15 inch wheels.
The Atlimax Arctic only has a speed rating of Q. Could that be a problem with spirited driving? These will be my first snow tires and I may forget to take it easy once in a while. The Extreme Winter Contact isn't much higher with a T rating and also has a higher weight rating.

#192 ·
u plan on exceeding 100mph for extended lengths of time? Q will be fine.
as for load rating. i'm sure both are well above the max load they will ever see.

the Generals will be better for deeper snow and slushy conditions. the Conti's will excel on packed snow and ice.

either is better than all seasons. you cant go wrong with either

#196 ·
From what I understand it depends on the year. Earlier ST models did allow for 16's, later ones do not. I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

You really trying to get anywhere with those (presumably) summer tires? I'm surprised you even got out of your driveway.

#197 ·
ST's from earlier in '14 can use the smaller wheels, later in the year teh calipers got larger. If you have the 17" spare in a later '14 that's the min. size.

At least one or two threads in this section mention the date for the changeover.

#200 ·
Get Nokians if you want the best. Tiresbyweb.com has them.

General Altimax Arctic are also pretty good, and a bit cheaper. Might be difficult to find in larger sizes, though.

The Nokians handle a bit better on dry pavement then a lot of other snow tires I've driven with.

#201 ·
15" wheels for snow tires on a 2010 Focus SES

Just picked up a wonderful 2010 Focus SES. It came with 17" all-season Kumho tires. I live in Minnesota and always use winter tires. I am looking at ordering a set of 195/60R15 General Altimax Arctic Blackwall mounted on steel wheels from tirerack. But when I get to the checkout page, I get a warning that the wheels are not compatible (The tire selected is for a smaller diameter wheel than what is installed as Original Equipment). This is odd, because I used their winter tire finder wizard. Does anyone here know if this set-up will work OK?

Also, if I don't order the TPMS stuff will the car still run? I have always used my own tire gauge and don't want to spend money on this if it isn't necessary/

Thanks!

#202 ·
I'm running that tire & size, stock on my earlier car & the same 17"s in the Summer (SVT wheels). 15's will fit over the brakes on yours, and the TPMS sensors are optional - only a warning light to ignore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.