Pro Kit Installation problem...HELP - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12450
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver ZTS (SVT Wannabe)

FF Reputation: 1 abrock124 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question Pro Kit Installation problem...HELP

I attempted to install my pro kit this weekend with a friend who has worked on suspensions before. We got the fronts in no problem, same thing for the rear passenger side. When we got to the rear drivers side I ran into the frozen bolt issue. The head of the bolt just snapped right off. So now I'm stuck with a headless bolt that can't be removed, and a set of stock springs and shocks on the rear driver's side, with the pro kit components installed on the other 3 wheels.

I need some suggestions. Should I try to drill the thing out? Maybe take it to a shop for this? Also, the bolt head says 10.9. Is this a fairly common size that I would be able to pick up at an autoparts store? Should I avoid driving at all costs until this is fixed? I don't know if I am doing any major damage by having 3 wheels on the pro kit and one sitting stock.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55355
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZX3 w/2.3 5 spd

FF Reputation: 2 FocusinGER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Absolutely do not drive the vehicle. You didn't say where the bolt was located. Drilling out the bolt sounds like the only way you are going to solve your problem but it would help if you indicated which bolt it is.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

Points 7,945, Level 59
Points: 7,945, Level: 59 Points: 7,945, Level: 59 Points: 7,945, Level: 59
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Or find you a punch that is a little smaller than the bolt and try to knock it out if you have enough room . Just be sure and have some type of support under or around it just in case something drops.
But most of all ,
DO NOT DRIVE IT !!!
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 04-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

sorry i didnt specify the bolt, I don't know all the terminology (just learning suspensions) but it appears to be the bolt that connects the lower control arm to the brake assembly.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
that bolt is the hardest to get out for sure.

put a ton of liquid wrench on the bolt and let it sit to soak into the threads. drilling it out would be the safest. use a left hand 5/16" drill bit. (I guseed at the drill bit size so check it first) use a strong drill at about half speed. it should start to pull it out after awhile of drilling.

before re-installing the new suspension. thread the new bolt in the nut a little bit then turn it back n forth, in a little more, back n forth. that way you will clean the threads up before thr install.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55355
What I Drive: 2004 Twilight Blue ZX3 w/2.3 5 spd

FF Reputation: 2 FocusinGER Good Standing Member
I agree with norcal on that one. This isn't an unusual problem. Our cars get really dirty down there and it is subject to all the weather so they will be very hard to get out in most cases. I know this sounds like hind sight but anytime you work on replacing any components on the suspension or anything else in the undercarrage use liquied wrench before you do anything. Let is soak for a good period of time and never try to force it. I know that doesn't help your situation now but I hope it helps for any future mods or repairs you do...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

Points 7,945, Level 59
Points: 7,945, Level: 59 Points: 7,945, Level: 59 Points: 7,945, Level: 59
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Don't leave out liquid wrenches good buddy PB BLaster they go hand in hand with rusted nuts and bolts :)
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If it the lower control arm bolt, most people end up cutting the bolt on each side of the bushing with a Sawzall, Die Grinder, hacksaw... and buying a new lower control arm. Mike from Hilbish Ford can ship one to you for a nice price, in case your dealer is asking too much. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142732
Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

i bought a replacement bolt from a local ford dealership today, I'll try drilling the rest of the old one out and hopefully that will solve my problems, and i can avoid having to purchase and wait for a new LCA.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
With regards to drilling. Sometimes its easier to use a smaller bit to start then follow with one almost the same size. That bolt is supper hard and sometimes the larger bits don't always start cutting easily. Use a slow to moderate speed to start and occasionally oil the tip to keep the bit cool and clear shavings. A new (read sharp) bit is advisable as well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.