Need some help... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Need some help...

So over the last month or so the steering in my car seems to have gotten very sloppy. Isn't nice and crisp like the Focus should be.. Some of the symptoms include:

-Car likes to grab ruts in the road and follow them. Tramlining.

-Steering wheel doesn't return all that well to center after a turn. Especially a soft turn. As in not too sharp.

-Steering is just plain sloppy. Needs a lot of correction on the road.

I wish I could explain it better... Last week I had it aligned and everything went into spec real well. Front toe was off a bit but that always happens in these cars. I also recently had the struts out of the car to replace the strut mounts. (i broke a stud...) The struts, springs, and knuckle look fine. Ball joints appreared fine as well as the tie rods and swaybar endlinks (moogs). I am stumped. It really started happening around a month ago. I installed my FS header around a month ago and I was thinking perhaps with its close proximity to the steering rack it is messin with the steering fluids or something else. But I haven't heard of anyone else with a Duratec and header having these problems...

One other thing is when I rotated the tires they had awful inside shoulder wear on both fronts. This was probably due to the toe issue but definately both were worn the same which puzzles me because toe was out more on one side than the other. I dunno. Help me out with this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member honhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
the most common i hear about cars grabbing ruts and following them is the tires.

maybe because your front tires were worn they were just sliding and giving the appearance of crisp steering when they were just floating over things, but now that you have tread they are going back to their original ways. if that makes sense.

may not be true, but im just throwing that one out there.

if you feal that may be true along those lines, when you go to purchase tires, check for reviews on the internet and look for people that say certain tires chase the ruts or what not.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
True. One other thing I was thinking is the control arm bolts, the front ones, are apparently torque to yeild and should be replaced each time they are taken out. Well 4 months ago I put in the FS lower tie bar for which you have to remove these. I am going to get two new bolts and see if anything improves.

One other thing is the rack. I was under the car yesterday checking everything out. All the suspension parts are tight and clean as a whistle. The rack however makes a ton of noise when moving the wheels side to side with the car off. Now I don't know much about steering racks (yet) but it seems a bit excessive. I might try and find a rack from a junkyard and swap em. Not sure yet. All i know is this problem is quite annoying.

Oh and the real symptom of the problem is the steering wheel not returning well.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.