Alignment suggestions now?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53651
What I Drive: 2005, black, Saleen S121 zx3

FF Reputation: 2 number81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Alignment suggestions now??

well after doing all the new suspension stuff i went to get an alignment done, and thankful i bought the lifetime alignment about 3 months ago, but any way after getting the alignment done the steering wheel still sits between 10 and 11 o'clock on a flat road......? the tech (kid) said that was a characteristic of a lowered car to have it pull...... i don't think so, i have had a 93 mustang cobra with a 1.5 drop and it tracks perfect everytime i drive.... WTF here are the specs (and i am puttin in the rear camber bolts 2marow and taking it back) and yes after installing the camber kit in front and aligning by eye my numbers were damn close!!! :)

Saleen Crew #8
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

and i dont know why he used the 2005 wagon settings but its a ZX3, i should point that one out to him..
Saleen Crew #8
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

Points 5,927, Level 49
Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
rear toe should be as close to 0 (the minimum spec) as possible and front toe should be at 0 as well, or slightly toe'd out

I would also suggest camber bolts to bring your rear camber down to at least -1.5 or even as far as -1.0
Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

yea i am doing camber bolts 2marow, but i was just looking at the numbers, would having one side toe + and one - affect where my steering wheel is?? hmmmm i wonder.....
Saleen Crew #8
Old 02-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,927, Level 49
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
no he probably just printed it off with the steering wheel not perfectly level

your cross toe is only .02 which is damn near perfect
i run my rear toe at 0 and my front to at max allowable out

it can get twitchy on the e-way but handles amazing and as long as you keep your hands at 10 and 2 you won't have any problems with it wandering
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52658
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 05UFCaptain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreyzx3 View Post
rear toe should be as close to 0 (the minimum spec) as possible and front toe should be at 0 as well, or slightly toe'd out

I would also suggest camber bolts to bring your rear camber down to at least -1.5 or even as far as -1.0
Completely agree about the toe (unless you trying to autoX her). As for the camber, I would normally agree as well. However, many FWD vehicles prescribe slightly more than normal neg. camber for fuel economy reasons. Additionally, I don't believe there is much camber gain in bump on our rear suspensions. So, as long as rear toe is pretty close to 0, -1.5deg camber should be fine in the rear.

The most common reason for your steering wheel not being @ 12 when your driving down the road is due to your steering rack not being centered when the guy is doing the alignment. So, either the guy is just lazy and doesn't want to take the time to make it right, or he really doesn't know what the problem is. While its really not an issue for tire wear or performance, if it really bothers you, it can be fixed. Lastly, the closer they get the net toe to 0, the better your fuel eco. and tire wear will be. GL.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,927, Level 49
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05UFCaptain View Post
Completely agree about the toe (unless you trying to autoX her). As for the camber, I would normally agree as well. However, many FWD vehicles prescribe slightly more than normal neg. camber for fuel economy reasons. Additionally, I don't believe there is much camber gain in bump on our rear suspensions. So, as long as rear toe is pretty close to 0, -1.5deg camber should be fine in the rear.

The most common reason for your steering wheel not being @ 12 when your driving down the road is due to your steering rack not being centered when the guy is doing the alignment. So, either the guy is just lazy and doesn't want to take the time to make it right, or he really doesn't know what the problem is. While its really not an issue for tire wear or performance, if it really bothers you, it can be fixed. Lastly, the closer they get the net toe to 0, the better your fuel eco. and tire wear will be. GL.
I've had my front to at .1 out in the front and at 0 in the rear for the past 40000 miles and i align it at least once a month and i have never had any issues with odd tire wear

i got 25k out of my OE tires which is fair
I've got 30k on my winter tires (indy 500's and they are 50k tires they still have 50% tread life)
I've got 10k on my 960 pole positions and they are only showing some slight feathering from me beating the crap out of them
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52658
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 05UFCaptain Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreyzx3 View Post
I've had my front to at .1 out in the front and at 0 in the rear for the past 40000 miles and i align it at least once a month and i have never had any issues with odd tire wear

i got 25k out of my OE tires which is fair
I've got 30k on my winter tires (indy 500's and they are 50k tires they still have 50% tread life)
I've got 10k on my 960 pole positions and they are only showing some slight feathering from me beating the crap out of them
It seems like your agreeing with me?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Points 5,927, Level 49
Level Up 89% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
ya i am

the big tire wearing thing on our cars is that ford gives an excessivly large area to set the rear toe

and most people just set it in the middle and that's still 1/4 degree off of where the best spot it.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Adam

Fan#: 51468
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 41 Insane Great Standing Member
Sit in your car while he changes the alignment. Try to have something close to this. front -0.03 rear 0.03. Thats what mine is and I love it.
-Zetec Crew #215
Volant Intake, SVT Snorkle, By past A/C, AFX UDP, Copper Plugs, 9mm Plug Wires, Toms Tune, Roush springs/shocks/struts, Eibach Sway-Bars, C-F-M Racing Lower Engine Mount.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.