2001 ZX3 Brake Solution - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2003, 11:34 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1253
What I Drive: '00 Celica GT-S

FF Reputation: 1 chenc544 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2001 ZX3 Brake Solution

Hi all. My girlfriend has a '01 ZX3 with the brake problem that seems to be pretty well known. Well she just had to have her front pads and rotors replaced at her own expense because Ford apparently doesn't want to acknowledge this problem and cover it under the warranty. Anyway, the local brake shop replaced the rotors and put on ceramic brake pads in hope of saving the rotors in the future. Iím not too sure whether or not the ceramic pads will do much good. Does anybody have any experience in getting the focus front brakes fixed for good? Or at least get it to a point where she doesn't need to replace the brake every 20,000 miles. TIA for any pointers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
i'm assuming her main problem was the excessive amount of brake dust left by the stockers. i haven't used ceramics on my own ride yet, but i work for a parts store that sells raybestos quietstop ceramics and people only seem to say good things about them. as a matter of fact, one of our biggest commercial customers uses the ceramic pads exclusively. i'm thinking about using them when the time comes, but i'm also considering some performance pads. the only downside i've heard is that they may cause a slightly worse stopping distance due to the lower coefficient of friction, but they wear better, last longer, and don't leave dust!

Mike
Old 10-13-2003, 03:35 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 262
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2006 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 GonFishin Good Standing Member
I use a ceramic/metallic pad ("quiet" type pads from O'Reiley's Autoparts), and they are great! Now my problem is with the crappy drums in the rear!

2006 Mustang GT / Intake / Exhaust / Tune
roughly 290rwhp & 315rwtq
Old 10-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 679
What I Drive: ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Iceberg Good Standing Member
I hated havin to clean the brake dust off the front wheels every other day! Luckily i solved that by getting dark rims so it does not show as much anymore!
Old 10-13-2003, 03:44 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
well, that's one solution!

Mike
Old 10-13-2003, 03:52 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 276
What I Drive: 4Dr Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 focus Good Standing Member
I thought this problem was only on year 2000 models? I had mine replaced at 25k miles and now I'm almost at 50k and if they say I need new ones I'm getting Brembo's.

Last edited by focus; 10-13-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Re: 2001 ZX3 Brake Solution

Quote:
Originally posted by chenc544
Hi all. My girlfriend has a '01 ZX3 with the brake problem that seems to be pretty well known. Well she just had to have her front pads and rotors replaced at her own expense because Ford apparently doesn't want to acknowledge this problem and cover it under the warranty. Anyway, the local brake shop replaced the rotors and put on ceramic brake pads in hope of saving the rotors in the future. Iím not too sure whether or not the ceramic pads will do much good. Does anybody have any experience in getting the focus front brakes fixed for good? Or at least get it to a point where she doesn't need to replace the brake every 20,000 miles. TIA for any pointers.
The abnormal brake wear is caused by brake dust?
So by using ceramic pads the brake dust is no longer a problem and the pads/rotors should be more durableÖ I guess that makes sense. Maybe the pads can last about 50,000 miles like other carsÖ
The crazy thing is the brakes never even squeak. We didnít even know that the pads are gone and going metal to metal with the rotor until they were inspected.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteboyslo
well, that's one solution!

Mike
It's a problem for 2000 and 2001. There is even a website...

http://www.fordfocusbrakeproblems.com/

and

http://www.focusbrakesclassaction.com/

Maybe you guys can get some money back from Ford...
Old 10-14-2003, 05:33 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 210
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 power premium auto

FF Reputation: 1 pitchblackab Good Standing Member
Well the rotors MIGHT last 50 thousand smiles pushing but wouldnt drive a mile past 30 thousand an anything at least have them resurfaced by 30, i was thinking 20 for pads anyway, man brakes are a big safety factor when driving. My moms explorer has the brake pads redone twice already and its at 66 thousand miles safety first. Now the rotors should last to the full 30 at least but ford changed my moms rotors when they were warped, the truck had like 15 thousand miles on it and there was no recall that i remember.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:03 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Sound like Ford is having problem with the durability of the brakes on their products.
We also had problem with the OEM Firestone tires. 3 out of 4 original tires have busted belts and had to be replaced. I'm sure my girlfriend probably ran over a pothole or two but I really can't understand how they can bubble so easily. And she is the slowest driver known to man, drives me crazy. Anyway, she has had it with Ford and is never buying another one. I thought that was rather unfortunate but I guess that's how you loss customers...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.