Air vs Nitrogen - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 60600
What I Drive: '02 Green ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 JCPMZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Air vs Nitrogen

Does anybody know the advantages of filling the tires w/nitrogen? recently I intalled the Eibach pro kit and took the car for alignment, I was asked if I wanted to fill the tires w nitrogen $5 per tire w lifetime refills (lifetime of the tires, which are brand new).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 28,427, Level 99
Points: 28,427, Level: 99 Points: 28,427, Level: 99 Points: 28,427, Level: 99
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
the idea of nitrogen is apealing, but its not a good idea. nitrogen when contaminated can corode and eat away at the metal on the rim. and once you open up ur valvestem to check tire pressure, the nitrogen gets contaminated.

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8384
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST

FF Reputation: 14 OandAWOW Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's really a rip. The tires will be worn out way before the normal atmosphere dry-rots the rubber. Plus they're exposed to air everyday, and take a larger beating from roadways and debris.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Nye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29653
What I Drive: 94 SHO ATX, and 2000 Blue ZX3 MTX

Points 678, Level 13
Points: 678, Level: 13 Points: 678, Level: 13 Points: 678, Level: 13
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Nye Good Standing Member
nitrogen from my understanding doesn't heat up as fast as oxygen does, when it does heat up it heats up more uniformly around the inside of the tire. Also Oxygen breaks down rubber so have only nitrogen can potentionally prolong the life of your tire from the inside. If I were you talk to the guys at the tire shop about it. they would give you more through information and also might show displays to better explain how it works.

In my opinion nitrogen is a good if you autocross or do track days but for a daily driver it isn't going to make much difference at all.

Where I personally fill my tires with Hydrogen because it makes my car float and makes driving quite explosive.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 14,360, Level 77
Points: 14,360, Level: 77 Points: 14,360, Level: 77 Points: 14,360, Level: 77
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nye View Post
nitrogen from my understanding doesn't heat up as fast as oxygen does, when it does heat up it heats up more uniformly around the inside of the tire. Also Oxygen breaks down rubber so have only nitrogen can potentionally prolong the life of your tire from the inside. If I were you talk to the guys at the tire shop about it. they would give you more through information and also might show displays to better explain how it works.

In my opinion nitrogen is a good if you autocross or do track days but for a daily driver it isn't going to make much difference at all.

Where I personally fill my tires with Hydrogen because it makes my car float and makes driving quite explosive.
this statement is TRUE, but the amount of time you will have the tire, the tread on the tire will wear out long before it dry rots. and if you do lose pressure you need to fill it back up with nitrogen, and thats not very convient to drive back to the shop during business hours to do so, especially when your susposted to check them monthly.

its all matter of opinion, there are advantages as stated above, but in most cases its not practical. and the bennifits wont be seen especially for $5/tire
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8384
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream ST

FF Reputation: 14 OandAWOW Great Standing Member
The Earth's atmosphere is 78% nitrogen. The oxygen and water vapor content of the air is not at a high enough level to justify paying for nitrogen in your tires to prevent dry-rot and the breakdown of the chemical compounds in the tire. Trust me, I work with this stuff everyday at work and it will only make your wallet lighter.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
ajp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54748
What I Drive: Red 2003 EAP

FF Reputation: 8 ajp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nye View Post
I personally fill my tires with Hydrogen because it makes my car float and makes driving quite explosive.

youre getting a good deal, would have cost me $14 a tire for my bike with no lifetime refills. Wouldn't get it though, the tires are gonna wear out faster than theyd corrode, like the other guys said.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52834
What I Drive: 2002 Silver/Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 22 Weldman0730 Great Standing Member
I dont think its worth it, I dont see any advantage, it definatly heats up as uniformily as regular air inside a tire. I know it may not dry rot the tire, but come on the only tires I have seen dry rotted are 15-16 years old, which by that time you should have already replaced them. I heard of someone saying that it gives you a smoother ride too, but I cant see why it would, I kind of think this is one of those things like putting acetone in your gasoline will increase gas mileage 200%.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
This was really nothing more than a marketing gimmick which I believe is now dying away. Yes, nitrogen has bigger molecules which supposedly won't seep through the tire carcass as quickly as air, but as you should be checking tire pressure regularly anyway......is it worth the money? There was also a company or companies producing/marketing a shop "Nitrogen Generator" that some auto repair companies (Canadian Tire here was one) etc. rented/leased, including the airline that I worked for, but after a relatively short time it went back to the good old HP N2 bottles. The idea I suspect did come from the military/aviation/airline industry where dry nitrogen (inert and free of moisture and contaminants) is used for tire inflation to primarily help prevent corrosion of the aluminum alloy wheels and contamination of the tire carcass. Large aircraft wheels and tires are worth big bucks and the wheels are inspected/checked or "overhauled" when the wheel/tire assemblies come in the shop for a "tire change". Some tires can be recapped several times if the basic tire carcass is OK.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53127
What I Drive: various duratec powered vehicles

Points 721, Level 14
Points: 721, Level: 14 Points: 721, Level: 14 Points: 721, Level: 14
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 1-ST Great Standing Member
If you want to go nitrogen, get a tank, and find a place that has a pump available to the public. It'll be like regular air tire filling machine, but instead of $0.25-$1 per however many minutes that is, it's more like $1-$3. Fill tires and your tank, so you can make adjustments monthly as well as at the track or autocross.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.