Should I trade my stock wheels for these? HELP! +Rep - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Focusless

Fan#: 56088
What I Drive: Turbo 1996 Montego Blue Miata

FF Reputation: 16 _spyder Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Should I trade my stock wheels for these? HELP! +Rep

Alright, here's what going on.
I found a guy who was looking for stock Focus wheels, and he was offering a set of 4 silver 17" Motegi FF5 rims with 205/40/r17 tires. So I contacted him since I wanted something better looking that my stock wheels.

Here is what I would be trading him:
Four 16" alloy 2002 stock Focus rims wrapped in 205/50/R16 Bridgestone Potenza tires. 3 of the 4 rims are in great shape, and 1 of the four has some decent curb rash on it. The tires are pretty new, they've been through about 5,000 miles, and have a good amount of tread left. However, there is a nail in one of the tires, but it is in there really good, and has never gave me any problems.

Here is what he is trading me:
Four silver 17" Motegi FF5 rims. The rims are all in great condition, only 1 has a slight curb rash (I mean slight) on the rim. The center caps are all intact, but two of them are faded in the place where they would say FF5. Overall these things are perfect. The tires are all 205/40/R17 size tires, with about 70% tread left on them. Two of them are Continental, and the other two I can't remember the brand off the top of my head. All the tires are in good condition, no leaks. These wheels are good for winter. They are not too wide and they still offer a great grip to the road since they are a 40 series tire. I am only wanting to trade because I want to return my car to stock to possibly sell in the near future.

Now, what I am trying to figure out, is it worth it? I don't know much about these things at all, and the wheels that are on my car now, are the ones that were on there what I purchased it. I will be driving through Wisconsin snow and weather, so I wanna make sure they are safe. But, what do you think I should do? I don't wanna be getting ripped off here, and I wanna make sure that I'm getting my stock wheels worth.

Can anyone here give me some honest opinions?
I will definitely give out +Rep to helpful answers!

- S p y d e r

Last edited by _spyder; 11-12-2008 at 11:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55034
What I Drive: 2003 yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 9 zx5Ye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yup.. trade it..those are better then stock anyway.. if it came off of another focus then it should be ok...if not then go there and try them on.. and see for any rubbing and stuff.. just noticed those are a pretty low profile tires.. but if they are all seasons the go for it..if not.. lol id still go for it
Old 11-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Wrenchin' aussie pos

Fan#: 45346
What I Drive: The Blue Devil

FF Reputation: 40 02ZX3inPA Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^ Agreed, especially if your brakes are unmodified. Gen 1 zx3 (non svt) brakes will accept a 14" wheel, so you can use steelies for winter if you don't like the 17's in the snow. (I have a set of 14" steelies on mine right now) As far as value is concerned, I think you're coming out on top.
ZC #154..Focus Nation..

Last edited by 02ZX3inPA; 11-12-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 57080
What I Drive: 09 f-150 5.4

Points 3,172, Level 34
Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 33 Master-Baits Great Standing Member
If you like the rims better than your stockers... then yea... Keep in mind those rims may be more prone to piting from the salt during winter driving. If it were me I would probably do it as long as the rubber is good.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I think the big question is whether or not the bolt pattern is compatible? If so, do it. Trade now. 4x108 if I remember correctly, I know very little about the Motegi FF5...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
WAFFLEY!

Fan#: 10426
What I Drive: 2006 Fusion SE Midnight Blue

FF Reputation: 11 Waffles ZX3 Kona Sport Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The FF5's are a nice looking wheel, and if you're trading four 16" stock wheels for four 17" aftermarket wheels, you're comming out on top IMO. But heres the kicker...do want to run those wheels in the winter? I wouldn't, just because I'd rather have a nice set of wheels for summer and a bleak set for winter. You could always pick up a set of steelies too.

I say do it...considering the wheels are in good condition - check them out yourself before you say yes!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Focusless

Alright guys, thanks so much for the help.

And to answer a few of your questions, yes, the 17" Motegi FF5's were previously on a Focus. And yes, the bolt on pattern is compatible.

I will probably meet up with him and check them out, and if they meet my expectations, I'll probably take 'em.

But I do have another question:
When you guys are talking about steelies for the winter, do you mean like getting 4 spare tires? Because those wheels are pretty thin. Or are you guys talking about just getting a normal set of wheels just without hubcaps? Do you know where I should look for these 'steelies'?

Thanks! And +Rep has been given to each of you
Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 57080
What I Drive: 09 f-150 5.4

Points 3,172, Level 34
Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34 Points: 3,172, Level: 34
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 33 Master-Baits Great Standing Member
steel wheels meaning just a steel rims, plain jane, with snow tired on them strictly for winter use. This way you could run summer tires on the motegi's and keep them nicer. Then you also have the benefit of not having to run all-seasons because they're not particularly excellent for summer nor winter.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
Focusless

Okay... thank you :]

Last edited by _spyder; 11-13-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
Focusless

Alright guys, we'll I'm only a teenager and I told me dad about the situation, and he doesn't know much about this stuff. He is kinda iffy because he thinks that having different tires on the wheels might not be the best thing. Is this true? And he also is also kinda iffy because he doesn't know why the guy would be wanting stock rims over these 17" aftermarket ones. Anyone else think that its weird? Or is having different tires on half the wheels is a bad thing?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.