Winter vs. Summer vs. All Season - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59098
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 1,209, Level 19
Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 tkheaven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Winter vs. Summer vs. All Season

I've quickly browsed through the wheel/tire sticky but still some feedback.

I own a 2002 Focus ZX3 with very little milage (try under 25K). It's mostly used for local/weekend driving. With my rear driver tire leaking and the snow coming sooner than expected, I figure this is the perfect time for a change.
I honestly don't want to go with the changing from winter to summer to winter, prefer the all season. Wondering if anyone has some feedback as to which tires have worked for them or which would be my best bet (trying to keep all season in mind).

NOTE: I changed my tires from stock goodyear 16's to 17's kumho ecsta ast (215/45/17-H-400) with exel dl-46 wheels in 3/2007.

I would just get the spare to keep it constant but the last snowfall didn't allow me to go uphill at all (i'd say just under 45degree slant that met with the street to my house), I needed passerby cops to help pull me to the house. Slipped and slid all over.

As another note: I heard there were some problems with the airtube to certain brands like BF Goodridge, etc. Has anyone heard or can confirmed this?

creating the perfect pres. candidate and send him back eight years ...impossible...
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Even the best all-season snow tire (expecting some Nokian all season tires) will not be a match to a dedicated snow tire. They are a compromise at best. If you kept your stock wheels they'd be ideal for a set of snows and minimize seasonal change over effort. All season tires have a fairly stiff tread compound for long wear and summer use. The compound gets harder with lower temps as well. In addition to an aggressive tread, a snow tire is much softer and remains more pliable in the winter and cold temps.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

Points 4,412, Level 42
Points: 4,412, Level: 42 Points: 4,412, Level: 42 Points: 4,412, Level: 42
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
just got myself a set of snowtires im exited to try them out cuz ive never driven on winter tires b4. ps- all seasons suck. come summer time im getting summer tires. no more all seasons for me
ZC#200
Old 10-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,783, Level 94
Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94 Points: 23,783, Level: 94
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hmm I'm afraid......anyone had experience driving in snow or complete ice covered roads with All-seasons? (lol) well to be honest though, foci's my first car, and it'll also be my first winter driving in a car without ABS or dedicated snow tires (hint hint: the Taurus Driver's Ed car I drove had abs AND dedicated snow tires, the first time I actually drove in Ed was on a nice two inch layer of frozen snow and ice, that's where he let me off.....lol)
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,209, Level 19
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
it's 50/50 for me.. the oem tires were great (I remember they were either the Goodyear Eagle GT or the Eagle F1) and I wouldn't have changed them as they were perfect all season. They've been on since date of purchased and up until the new ones they've actually helped me out of deep snow and never slid on ice (keeping in mind safe driving, especially on black ice, but not getting all granny on the road ). The main reason for the change were air bubbles beginning to accumilate around the sidewalls. I did a little research and found that I wasn't the only one with the same issue. I'd get them again but don't know if there are any other problems with them + they're over $100/tire...
creating the perfect pres. candidate and send him back eight years ...impossible...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 12,348, Level 72
Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
See link. These are my choice based solely on reviews such as the one I provide.
Soon as I save up the cash for my wheels and tires (again, and yet again!). Meaning I will get them eventually, but don't have them yet.
http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews...e_reviews.html

Here is a Link to the Toyo web page for the tire itself.
http://www.toyo.com/docs/tires/tires...category=sport
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 10-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I am thinking of getting some winter tires also. I have Bridgestone Firehawk G009 all seasons now. They got me through last winter, but they were not great. They now have one year more wear, so they will be even less confident. We had 10" of fresh snow one day and I was getting stuck and rocking a lot. They were kind of slick on lesser snowfalls also. And truly white knuckle on an icy freeway, everyone was passing me. The Focus has relatively wide tires for it's weight (205/50), which isn't good for snow. My Neon did MUCH better in the winter with it's 185/65 tires (not so good in the summer though)
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,209, Level 19
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
SoF, thanks for the link. It's actually very helpful. Those toyo tires generally got really good reviews which now has my consideration. I'll do a little more research on those, but don't want to be limited. If there are any other tires I should be looking at, please let me know.
Between the economy and the fact that my car is currently out of commission (dead battery), makes things a little more difficult for me to finish what I started sooner than I wanted.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 12,348, Level 72
Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
[QUOTE=MaroonZX3;2420994We had 10" of fresh snow one day and I was getting stuck and rocking a lot. [/QUOTE]

Lol! If St. Louis got 10 inches of snow in winter, Then I would def. buy 'summer' tires. Reason being, nothing would move in the winter anyway!

tkheaven >> Your very welcome!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 10-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i would go with bfg g force super sport all seasons. (got a good review by sport compact car) or sone bfg traction t/a's both would work till heavy snowfall. after that you'll need a winter set jsut to move.
will it run soon?? who knows.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.