Achilles tires - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1515
What I Drive: 06 Dodge Ram, 02 TL1000R

FF Reputation: 1 RobsRedRacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Achilles tires

hey time for some new rubber...i currently have Falken Ziex ZE 512 tires, and they're great...i like them, and was planning on getting another set, and when searching for them i stumbled across a set of tires...Achilles ATR Sport...has anybody heard about them before? they have a 400AAA UTQG rating...the Falkens i have are 360AAA UTQG rating so they're close in ratings....i found them on www.tires-easy.com

Zetec Crew #195
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Never heard of them. Please don't buy a tire on price alone, make sure it has a reliable and verifiable reputation. If you liked the Falken 512's you might want to look into the 912's. It's a significantly improved 512 for not much more money.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

Points 5,940, Level 49
Points: 5,940, Level: 49 Points: 5,940, Level: 49 Points: 5,940, Level: 49
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 39 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i didnt think you could get cheaper tires than the 912's, they are pretty much at the bottom anyways. (without having to resort to wierd unknown brands)
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49788
What I Drive: a car and a suv

Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 wood_e Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
They're made in the USA IIRC, but I would stay away... Hankook makes good tires and they're pretty inexpensive.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
The 912's are cheap and getting great reviews on top of it. Falken addressed all the downsides of the previous 512's (which weren't too bad of a tire for the low price as well) and has come up with a good affordable performance all season tire. Not everyone likes, needs, or prefers expensive high wear summer rubber.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

Points 32,330, Level 100
Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100 Points: 32,330, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
i had those tires...stay away. they suck
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 27925
What I Drive: 2005 Infra-Red ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 raptorGT Good Standing Member
Angry Achilles Blows - Literally

I bought a set of those Achilles tires in 205/45r17 size for my '05 ST and the tread separated from the sidewall while I was driving home one night. The tires were a lovely 2,000 miles old, yes two thousand miles old. I would expect some shoddily-engineered bullshit like this after 12,000 miles, but this was not the case. I rate these tires a 0.5 based on the fact I expect tires to last 3 years and only got 2 fuŠking months out of them. The tread looks new, but aren't worth a damn after blowing out.

After having the tires examined, was told that there should be metal fibers sticking out around the split, but none were found. In fact, I can run my hands along the split and not worry about cutting or nicking myself - the rubber is smooth with minimal cleavage.

Bottom Line:
STAY AWAY FROM ACHILLES TIRES. I don't care how cheap they are, they are a safety hazard and in my opinion NOT ROADWORTHY by any means. If you have purchased a set, remove them from your car as soon as possible, turn them on their sides, fill with dirt, add seeds and watch plants grow.

For those of you wondering what the warranty coverage is for events like this, please refer to the PDF on the API site here... http://www.americanpacificindustries...r_warranty.pdf
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68525
What I Drive: Lesxu

FF Reputation: 0 princzz Newbie
Achilles Tires

It's a good thing I am a doctor and do extensive research (I usually try to get 75 sources on a subject if possible).

I have installed the Achilles tires on my Lexus GS and they are superb. If you look at the UTQG the Achille is 400 AA A, and the Hankook Ventus is 360 A A. So the Achilles is BETTER!!! As a matter of fact, they perform better than my Hankooks! The rides is exceptionally smooth. It is also very very quiet. When it hits bumps and rough surfaces, it cushions well and is very responsive to turns. I got my vehicle up to 135 mph and they where exceptional when it came to performance in the realm of handling, turning, stopping and braking. Further, don't let others tell you that all tires from other countries are bad. Their are 3 tiers of tires. Tier 1 is American name national brands! Tier 2 are Foreign High Quality brands that are not as well know in the US. And Tier 3 is Tier 1 brand made by budget tire companies overseas using another name.

Achilles is a racing tire and excellent in Europe. See web sites:

http://www.multistrada.co.id/en/news...ion-with-sic-/

http://www.multistrada.co.id/en/news...fficial-tire-/

DONT LET ANYONE WHO HASN'T DONE THEIR RESEARCH (HOMEWORK) TELL YOU ANYTHING ABOUT TIRES! THEY WANT TO SOUND EDUCATED BUT THEY ARE TALKING RHETORICALLY!

DR. JIL
Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Dear Doctor Princzz, you claim to do your research but it appears you know very little about UTQG ratings. They CANNOT be used to compare tires between manufacturers! A UTQG rating is established by the tire manufacturer (not a government agency like fuel mileage ratings). The manufacturer compares their tires to a base tire (that they select from their tire line) then assigns a rating based on how much more or less mileage the subject tire gets when compared to the baseline tire. As you can see, since every tire company uses a different baseline, its impossible to use the UTQG rating to compare tires from different manufacturers.

To further complicate the issue, the manufacturer is free to change the base line tire any time so its possible that comparing tires from the same manufacturer could be skewed as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68525
What I Drive: Lesxu

FF Reputation: 0 princzz Newbie
Geezer...you are more dumb than your name.

UTQG is a 'standardized" process. Further, this is supervised by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)!!! This is a GOVERNMENT AGENCY YOU DUMMY!!!!!!. UTQG Is is NOT, I repeat, IS NOT established by the tire manufacturer as you posted! You are an idiot for saying that!

NHTSA is part of the EXECUTIVE BRANCH OF U.S. GOVERNMENT! You 2d grade graduate!! (i.e. government agency!!!!!!)

UTQG is a LAW!!! "49 CFR 575.104" So UTQG DOES and MUST go across all manufacturers selling tires in the U.S. UTQG 'IS" THE UNIFORM STANDARD OF COMPARISON AND GRADING ALL TIRES SOLD IN THE U.S., REGARDLESS OF ORIGIN according to law!!!!! Your ridiculous theories of manufacturers establishing, changing of UTQG standards for tires are ridiculous because ALL tires used on U.S. roads and UTQG testing are under stringent provisions, and it is a LAW!! You can't just sell, do or assign ANY rating by tires sold in the U.S. The Department of Transportation is HIGHLY concerned about a rash of blowouts, accidents and other incidents and there are NUMEROUS laws concerning tires. You need to quote a REAL source instead of coming on this forum talking crap and stating and OUT AND OUT LIE / FALSEHOOD with NO evidence or NO guidelines! Obviously you have no intelligence because you have not provided A SHRED OF CREDIBLE EVIDENCE to your ridiculous claim! STOP POSTING UNLESS YOU HAVE PROOF!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...Administration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTQG

P.S. Click on the link and LEARN something - Trailer Geezer

Last edited by princzz; 08-21-2009 at 03:47 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.