brake problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50074
What I Drive: 2004 srt-4

FF Reputation: 4 electricfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
brake problem

sooo my car is really starting to agitate me. i was gonna get tint for my birthday it seems but now i guess i cant...because my g rotors need to be resurfaced or replaced depending on how bad it is cuz they have small ridges in them so now when i drive i can hear them rubbing on the brake pad and when i hit the break it gets louder!!!!, <-- it makes me wanna do that to someone. on top of that its started to make this POP!! from teh rear when i roll backwards...and then if i roll forwards it does it again..it trades it off and on. does anyone know what that could be?? wheel bearing possibly??

update 3/3/08-- well it turns out my breaks are fine...it was the hub bearings they were so bad they had 6-7 inches of play in them and my wheels couldve fallen off any moment.... its gonna be abou 500 to fix...its gettin that now

Last edited by electricfocus; 03-03-2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53806
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver Svt Foci

FF Reputation: 1 SVT_Roc Good Standing Member
your brakes prob need to be replace man speacially if your brakes make noise when you press on them if i where you i would check how much pad you have left.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT_Roc View Post
your brakes prob need to be replace man speacially if your brakes make noise when you press on them if i where you i would check how much pad you have left.
i have a decent amount of pad left...i mean not like new but maybe 50%...its rubbing even when my foots not on the break and the rotors have ridges on them...i just got back from the shop and they said if i have to replace the rotors and break pads...its gonna cost around $300-350... and since i was supposed to get tint for my birthday...im trading having this fixed instead...so its not like i have to pay for it...but i cant give them the car til monday...and my damn upper strut bar comes on tuesday...so i dont get to put that on right away
Old 02-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
A pair of Brembo or Centric rotors cost less than 100.00 and some decent front pads should be in the 50 to $60.00 area (example Mintex AF). The trouble with most shops is you have no idea what they are putting back on so ask. Do not go for stock Ford rotors because as you have learned there are many problems associated with them. Find out if they'll install parts you can provide if you're not comfortable doing the job yourself.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #5

Fan#: 38279
What I Drive: vehicle

FF Reputation: 7 razorrik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
find a budget brake center,,they usually run about half the price of everybody else,and offer the same warranty and most times a better part
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

i dont have time to wait for rotors or pads to be shipped in...it could be metal contact at this point...and i dont want to ruin the whole system so im just having stock put on for now...but in the near future im gonna switch to brembo...i just dont have the time to wait..i gotta drive. plus i need to replace the suspension so i already gotta save some money for that...im goin to switch to SVT
Old 02-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 89 Civic Base

Points 13,492, Level 75
Points: 13,492, Level: 75 Points: 13,492, Level: 75 Points: 13,492, Level: 75
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Have you taken the pads out at all? Your calipers could be sticking which could cause that popping sound and the pads could be wearing at an angle. It might look like you have lots of pad left at one angle but it could be worn down to the backing pad on another side. It doesn't take very long to happen either. I didn't lube my caliper slides once doing a brake job and in about two weeks one inside edge of each outside pad was worn down about half way. The caliper was sticking as well as the metal to metal contact of the backing plate and the caliper. I would check it out.

And unless the rotor is absolutely hosed you can usually get away with turning them once if it has never been done. Had mine done for 10 bucks each at Schucks. Most shops will do it too for a small price.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
Have you taken the pads out at all? Your calipers could be sticking which could cause that popping sound and the pads could be wearing at an angle. It might look like you have lots of pad left at one angle but it could be worn down to the backing pad on another side. It doesn't take very long to happen either. I didn't lube my caliper slides once doing a brake job and in about two weeks one inside edge of each outside pad was worn down about half way. The caliper was sticking as well as the metal to metal contact of the backing plate and the caliper. I would check it out.

And unless the rotor is absolutely hosed you can usually get away with turning them once if it has never been done. Had mine done for 10 bucks each at Schucks. Most shops will do it too for a small price.
Yep. Good solid advice.

I would concur with everyone's posts here.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 02-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

no i dont do any break work...not my field...im trained in auto body repair and paint
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post

i believe youre right...anyways my car will be at the shop monday when it opens so i hope they can just resurface the rotors and change the pads...and get it back to me the same day

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.