RANT: Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A availability - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
BAD EGG

Fan#: 8452
What I Drive: 2008 Mica-Black Mazdaspeed 3 Sport

FF Reputation: 18 LastRites Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry RANT: Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A availability

22 days off the lot and I picked up a nail in my L/R. Knowing it was going to be the mother PITA to find this tire in this size locally I still gave it the college effort and ran through the yellow pages to no avail. Nobody has it so fine, I'll hit up the national retailers online and should have a tire quickly enough. Nope, scratch that, everyone is on a national backorder with no est date for availability, wtf!

So....my ride is parked unfortunately for the time being. I was very close to dropping big on some O.Z. Ultra's in black mated to new rubber entirely but that is alot of scratch, I'm not wanting to go that route just yet.

As for the dealer, well they are no help until Monday. Maybe I can sweet talk them into coughing up a wheel off the other Speed 3 they have sitting there.

If any of you are sponsors, sell tires, and can do something here, please let me know. I'm trying to land 1 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in a 215/45R18 size.

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
# 908 of 1079, Born 03/16/2004
SVT SQUAD # 68
" I brake for saucy Pirate wenches"
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

Points 5,927, Level 49
Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I know for a fact we have 4 of those tires sitting outside our shop on tire racks.

Should have went to a Firestone/Bridgestone store. Would have been much better luck. Most are open tomorrow. Go there and check it out. Usually they'll get one from another store if you have time.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46655
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

Points 5,963, Level 50
Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50 Points: 5,963, Level: 50
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 40 BeeFzX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
did you check tirerack?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....Potenza+RE050A
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
BAD EGG

I checked tirerack as well as the rest of the usual online retailers, no luck. Also called both of the Bridgestone / Firestone local service centers and got zip other than them trying to sell me another tire model.

Just a problem that I had never thought about running into before but now that its happened I'm wise enough to score some spares once they are available again

* The service description for the ones Tirerack has is below OE for the car and wouldn't match the remaining 3 tires. The sidewalls on the in-stock tires are not reinforced

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
SVT SQUAD # 68

Last edited by LastRites; 02-25-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
BAD EGG

OMG the drama! This tire cannot be found anywhere!!!!

According to TireRack the tire is restricted to Mazda USA only currently so my dealer is doing "something" with them to see what can be done. I am entirely too hot headed to deal with people when things get this frustrating so I have someone that is going to go through Mazda USA on my behalf later.

In order to get back on the road sometime this week I'm left with one course of action, drop $1,120 on new tread, for a brand new car, lmao!

Oh well, at least I have nothing but time to wax, polish, and detail the ever-loving crap out of the car

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
SVT SQUAD # 68
Old 02-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
BAD EGG

Mazda of N/A is absolutely no help in helping me to land a tire so I went out and threw down on some new meat. Hell I had to explain to Mazda customer service the reason why their own tire of choice on this car was so unique as well as had them contact TireRack to get the 411 on why these tires are not available to anyone but Mazda currently. In the end Mazda told ME to contact Bridgestone, wtf

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW's in a 225-40R-18

They have an intense looking tread pattern and are noted to be remarkable in the wet stuff. The only complaint that owner after owner seems to echo is road noise but with my exhaust, not a problem, ha-ha! Also the TWR is a bit higher than I really like but we'll see how much that throws cornering and braking off. As compared to the OE Potenza RE 050A they do have a higher rating in every category so at least on paper they are a better tire.

I worked with both TireRack as well as Discount in trying to land an ideal set of treads and in the end went with Discount. Having ordered from both companies many times before it was a very cool shopping experience and give kudo's to both.

So....hopefully NLT Wednesday I'll be back on the streets

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
SVT SQUAD # 68
Old 02-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
BAD EGG

Talking to myself in here eh? Cool, ha-ha!

I added the meaties today, a tad wider than OE but I love the look and the drive is worlds better. Mazda-US finally got off their corporate asses and have a new Potenza enroute after many, many, interesting and entertaining phone calls. They got it from TireRack btw, which cracks me up.

04 SVTF/5
, EAP, Pitch Black (rip)
SVT SQUAD # 68

Last edited by LastRites; 02-27-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.