Help with Chrome Wheels - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

Points 73,703, Level 100
Points: 73,703, Level: 100 Points: 73,703, Level: 100 Points: 73,703, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Exclamation Help with Chrome Wheels

Today was actually sunny and warmer for a change so I got the chance to at least give the car a quick power wash to clean up the major grime. While I was cleaning, I noticed that the chrome on my rims is starting to bubble. Nothing has peeled yet, but the bubbles are noticeable. I have been using these wheels during the winter and now I realize why people switch back to stock rims or steelies. I just thought it was because of sliding into a curb, but I'm also accepting the fact that the road salt doesn't do well for them either. I power wash the car in the winter, weather and time permitting, but at the very least once every two weeks (I strive for once a week). So I have the following questions:

1) Can I fix the bubbles somehow and save the rims (like with fine, steel wool or a wire brush)?

2) I have used a spray on wheel cleaner a couple of times that says it's safe for polished wheels. Could this be an affecting factor?

3) Are there aftermarket rims that are more resistant to the elements and would still look good on my ZX4?

I have not seen any signs of rusting, just the bubbling. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks people of FF.

Carl

Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A good chrome job should hold up under most seasonal conditions with normal care. My guess is you just have a poor chrome job. You didn't mention whether it was a steel or alloy wheel. Breaking the blisters (which will happen eventually) will probably start a flaking process. On a steel wheel this is bad because it will expose the wheel to rust and it just turns into a big mess. There's little you can do about it. On an alloy wheel, it will flake as well, but at least you won't get the rust problem. Your only real option is to have the wheels re-chromed or having the chrome removed and then painted or powder coated. Powder coated rims tend to be the most durable.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
GoKart and Me!!!

Points 73,703, Level 100
Points: 73,703, Level: 100 Points: 73,703, Level: 100 Points: 73,703, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
I am pretty sure that they are alloy, but not positive.

Any idea on cost for getting them powder-coated or rechromed? Would it be cheaper to just buy new rims?
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry I don't know how much it will cost and don't want to venture a guess. A lot will depend on wheel prep and removing the old chrome. It's probably worth calling a local shop.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
GoKart and Me!!!

Points 73,703, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
When I get settled in Washington I'll start looking at some of the local shops. In the meantime, I've already started shopping for new rims incase that's the cheaper way to go. I've always wanted to get these;

http://www.tiredealersites.com/konig...ails&wid=12429

When I bought my current wheels, the person that helped me said that they wouldn't fit, but I've seen a sedan with these and they look sweet. Plus, I've always liked the looks of them. What do you all think.
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
GoKart and Me!!!

Points 73,703, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Angry

Well, I noticed today when I washed my car that the chrome on my rims is officially fed. The chrome has started peeling and from the looks of it, it was a crappy chrome job anyway because it seems to be a really thin coat. Don't know how thick a coat of chrome is supposed to be, but this was thin. Oh well, I guess it's a lesson learned for me. I am going to shop around and see what it will cost me to get the chrome stripped and the rims powder coated. That might be cheaper than buying a new set of wheels. I can tell you all this, though, no more chrome rims for me, too much maintenance.
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.