Focus Sport Rear Stress Install Help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
FoFo Lover.

Fan#: 30202
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3i

Points 7,861, Level 59
Points: 7,861, Level: 59 Points: 7,861, Level: 59 Points: 7,861, Level: 59
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 ktwelsch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
Focus Sport Rear Stress Install Help

So i just bought a used FS Rear Stress bar and have no install instructions or mounting hardware..... I've been trying to read up here on the boards to no avail.... hoping someone can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Kevin

SEDAN REVOLUTION #42 Baby!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Hiyadoin'

Fan#: 48389
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT, EAP #1440

FF Reputation: 9 stivo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
it's pretty easy. I just installed one over the weekend. Do you have all of the parts? they supply a washer to use for marking where to mount the bar. If you're desperate I can mail it to you.

When you pull the carpet off you will see the shock towers, there is a ridge down the middle that marks where the shock is and a gusset welded near the top of the tower. They recommend mounting the bar to the gusset on the forward side of the ridge.

Mark the spot with a sharpie using the washer supplied. drill a 1/4" pilot hole, then the 7/16" final hole. re-install the carpet and use an exacto knife to cut a hole through the carpet. You only need to cut the hole big enough for the bolt... the bar is designed to mount over the carpet, sandwiching the carpet between the end of the bar and the shock tower.

After your holes are made in the carpet, mount the bar and tighten the bolts down tight. try to mount both sides at the same time, meaning hold the bar in place as you thread the bolts through. If you don't it will be near impossible to mount it right. I used some rtv silicone on the bolts to seal out any water leaks.

The hardest part was cutting the holes in the carpet. It's not "hard" to do, but I really didn't want to thrash the carpet so I made as small a hole on each side as possible.

It's a nice mod. It made my solid car feel SOLID!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #3
FoFo Lover.

Points 7,861, Level 59
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
haha I just have the bar....nothing else... but I work at Home Depot so i can get what I need....but do I need two bolts?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
Hiyadoin'

two bolts and two washers. The third washer is about the same outside diameter as the bar, but the hole is about 1/4 inch.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
FoFo Lover.

Points 7,861, Level 59
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
ok...cool Do you remember the diameter of the bots? 10mm? Also I think I;m gonna make a how to.... during the whole process...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
Hiyadoin'

I was going to do a write up, but it was over so quick... The bolts were 17mm. coarse thread... bring the bar with you for sure.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
FoFo Lover.

Points 7,861, Level 59
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Do you know how long they were.... (sorry for all the questions.)

So officially 2x 17mm Bolt.... 4x Washers....and a drill and I should be good to go?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
Hiyadoin'

the bolt head was 17mm... not sure about the thread diameter I didn't measure the bolts, I'd say about 2" long. I'm pretty sure the bolt will not bottom out inside the bar, but test it out. I guess it's hard to test out the bolts at Home Depot since they come in little baggies... (go to Ace).

only one washer needed per side, between the bolt head and the wheel well.

You'll need a drill and two bits, 1/4" bit for the pilot hole and a 7/16" bit for the final hole. You'll need a wrench to tighten the bolts, preferrably a ratchet with a long extension so you don't have to remove the wheel. A floor jack helps, just to lift the back end enough to fit the bolt, wrench and your hands between the tire and fender.
I also used a punch and hammer to mark the spot where I started drilling. Without that your drill will wander before catching (and your hole will be way off). actually I used a beat up phillips head for the punch since I couldn't find my punch at that moment.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
FoFo Lover.

Points 7,861, Level 59
Level Up 56% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
awesome....thanks for the tips.... I Think I'm going to go hardcare with this and used metal and rubber washers in order to prevent and corrosion in the future on the body panels..... I'll include that on my write up....

Also, is there any "specific" place to mount it....or should I just put it where it fits in the trunk....
Old 02-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Hiyadoin'

When you pull the carpet off you will see the shock towers, there is a ridge down the middle that marks where the shock is and a gusset welded near the top of the tower. They recommend mounting the bar to the gusset on the forward side of the ridge.

It will be pretty clear what I mean when you pull the carpet.

It just dawned on me though... are you in a sedan? I'm not sure if the rear stress bar is designed for sedans. It might be meant for hatch's only. The mounting points may be different in that case, and the benefit gained from installing it may not be noticible as it is with the zx3 and zx5 models. Sedans have a lot of lateral support already and probably don't need the rear brace, they are not like an open box in the way that hatch's are.

Last edited by stivo; 02-06-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.