My 06 ST is eating rotors. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15001
What I Drive: 2006 ST Focus

Points 521, Level 10
Points: 521, Level: 10 Points: 521, Level: 10 Points: 521, Level: 10
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gerryyy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My 06 ST is eating rotors.

I've got an 06 ST with just over 16K. It ate a set of rotors at 9K and I've just gotten it back from the local Ford dealer for it's second set of rotors. These too were replaced under warranty. I spoke with the service writer and told him I didn't beat the car or autocross it and asked what was causing the car to go through rotors so much. His respone was that I've still got out to 36K for warranty coverage and not to worry. Nice answer. If anyone has any ideas why the car might be going through brakes so ofter I sure would appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

Points 5,927, Level 49
Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Sorry brakes are only covered for 12k + the shops warranty on work. usually 1 year 12k.

Make sure you get new rotors, not machined. Also Ford rotors are crap. Get a decent set.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46014
What I Drive: 07 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 pensfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
same was happening to my 07 zx3. ford machined the rotor first time. a week later i was in there again. they eneded up replacin the pads. been fine since. brake components are coveredfor 18k or 1 year whichever comes first. so get your rotors machined or replaced and get some new pads youll be set
Last of the Hatches #37
Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: 03 EAP

Points 42,691, Level 100
Points: 42,691, Level: 100 Points: 42,691, Level: 100 Points: 42,691, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
do they come factory with metalic brakes???
Old 01-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I just bought some oem pads for my ST. The guy wanted to give me motorcraft ones which are different actually from the OE ones. The OE ones look like a semi metallic with copper up front and with some sorta organic compound in the rear. The motorcraft ones which were the cheaper option looked like some silvery semi-metallic all around. I went with the OE combo cause I liked how they felt on the car in the first place. This is after putting crappy Monroe POS pads on there for like 70 bucks all around.... you really get what you pay for and that is not much.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Before we go blaming parts, what kind of driving do you do?

Not saying you are an abusive driver. Rather if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic can affect the lifespan of the rotors and pads.

That said, 9k replacement is highly unusual.

Is this all 4 rotors or just the fronts?

The first thing that I would check would be the brake hydraulic system. If the caliper is not draining fluid and causing the brake (s) to drag, then that certainly is a cause for concern. No amount of pads or rotors would repair that issue.

THe brake booster and/or the brake master cylinder should be checked/replaced. I would insist upon it.

Remember, 3 times for the same warranty repair can also qualify you for a lemon law replacement. Doesn't matter if its brake lights or transmissions.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

Points 5,927, Level 49
Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49 Points: 5,927, Level: 49
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
We do blame parts because this has happened to everyone with an 06+
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreyzx3 View Post
We do blame parts because this has happened to everyone with an 06+
Hate to hear that...

Just covering all the bases...

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13348
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 31 gonzorelic Great Standing Member
the car probobly has lifetime brake pads on it. they are harder material than the rotor itself and when you brake something has to give. it SHOULD be the pad but in alot of cases where people buy lifetime pads its the rotor. auto parts stores have gotten to where they push selling the lifetime warranty pads which is a bad thing. never buy those. i always get a good medium grade pad. not the cheapest pads but not the lifetime ones either. when the pad and rotor meet the pad digs into the rotor instead of vice versa. rotors cost alot more to replace than brake pads. so go get yourself a set of pads for about $30.

WWW.PATTERNTEK.COM
WWW.SNAPOFFRACING.COM
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22408
FF Reputation: 68 mostholycerebus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzorelic View Post
the car probobly has lifetime brake pads on it. they are harder material than the rotor itself and when you brake something has to give. it SHOULD be the pad but in alot of cases where people buy lifetime pads its the rotor. auto parts stores have gotten to where they push selling the lifetime warranty pads which is a bad thing. never buy those. i always get a good medium grade pad. not the cheapest pads but not the lifetime ones either. when the pad and rotor meet the pad digs into the rotor instead of vice versa. rotors cost alot more to replace than brake pads. so go get yourself a set of pads for about $30.
WTF are you talking about? "Lifetime" pads just means they have a warranty, they aren't harder. They usually sell for $20-$25, cheapo's are $10-$15 and suck. WTF are your pads made out of where they are harder than the solid steel rotor? Even the cheap chinese rotors aren't that soft, and even ceramics don't gouge rotor that badly, unless you have (mostly unneeded) slotted and drilled rotors.

If you are burning through pads it could be a few things. Make sure they are greased up first, so everything slides smooth. Most garages don't grease like they should, because they could care less, and have plenty of pneumatic tools for hard bolts. They just wanna get you in and out fast. Check calipers for freezing, and the caliper hose. Sometimes when you get an old (or bad) caliper hose they collapse and keep the caliper stuck on 'brake', won't let the fluid back into the reservoir.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.