SVT Pads on track - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24166
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 svtstu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
SVT Pads on track

Hey guys, there is an open track day coming up in about 2 months and I was wondering if anyone had tracked their focus with the stock pads. The event is at PMP which is at 4900 ft above sea level, which makes me worry about brake cooling somewhat, also the humidity tends to be very low at PMP maybe 15-50% at the max. If anyone has tracked their car in Colorado on the stock brakes, or any brake setup for that matter, let me know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33589
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, I call her Vera.

FF Reputation: 2 dubalicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Change your brake fluid but other than that the SVT brakes and pads are very good so you probably wouldn't have to worry about too much.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Check with WeeAsp as he tracks his stock SVT quite a bit. The one stock part I know he "doesn't" use are the brake pads. Aftermarket pads are also a necessity in this case. You may be able to get by with something like Hawk HPS's which are very streetable and will hold up under moderate use on the track. The next step up would be Hawk HP. These are better on the track but not a full race pad and not quite as good for the street (need a little warming for a good initial bite). Porterfield R4s is another decent street/performance pad but it tends to cost a little more.

I second the above comment. Definitely bleed the system and replace it with a fresh high temp fluid. This should be done before any track session. It need be nothing fancy or expensive. Valvoline make a good all around synthetic fluid that you can get almost anywhere. Wilwood and ATE make some cheaper race specific fluids if you want to go that way.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Guys, I had been looking at porterfield RS4's at some point in the near future (I've had the stock pads last for 50,000 miles now, with some life left), any recommendations on where to get the pads or fluid?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Porterfields web site is a good start. Valvoline fluid is as close as your closest Walmart or major auto parts store. I've seen some race fluids at Autozone and PEP boys on occasion.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Sounds good, how much fluid does the brake system take, and would it be worth paying for ATE Super Blue fluid?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtstu View Post
Sounds good, how much fluid does the brake system take, and would it be worth paying for ATE Super Blue fluid?

I have done a complete bleed with as little as 8 oz. A 12 oz. bottle should do it. ATE, if I remember correctly, only comes in a one liter can that costs about 12 to 15 bucks. Valvoline synpower costs about three bucks or thereabouts. Brake fluids do not have very long shelf lives after they are opened. Buying it by the liter is good if your racing and changing your fluid numerous times over a weekend. It's not good if its going to sit on a shelf for months.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Also remember, change your rotors when you change pads. When you bed-in the pads, they deposit some of the pad material on the rotor, and you don't want to mix rotors between pad manufacturers.

I ran Hawk HP Pluses all around on my first track day, and have since switched to Hawk HT-10s up front.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I did 2 days at Miller Motorsports Park on stock pads/rotors.
The only thing I did, was to flush the system, and top it up with fresh DOT 4 before attending the event.
Other than that, the "factory" parts worked flawlessly.

I do however have Hawk HPS now...
Not that the stock pads were bad, but once they were worn out, I opted to upgrade a bit.
The HPS have great initial bite, but I can't relate to fade, as I haven't been back on a road course since, only AutoCross.

Make sure when you pull off the track to NOT hold your foot for any extended period of time on the brake pedal!
Coast into your "pit" so to speak, and use wheel chocks if necessary to hold the vehicle in place.
Don't stand on the brakes till they cool back off, and DON'T use the e-brake.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6470
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT 08 Tundra CrewMax

FF Reputation: 1 BadIdea Good Standing Member
It really depends on how aggressive you are and what kind of tires. For street tires the stock svt pads are OK. OK means they will work and not be destroyed like most street pads. If you want a step up in performance then look at carbotech. I feel they have the best performance for the buck and won't destroy your rims. You can also run them for 3 seasons (winter too if needed), even the race pads.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.